Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok... I'm freaking impressed: Question?

TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Ok, I just tried this game for the first time tonight. I always thought that it made #1 here for so long because they gave away some incentives for voting or something. Whether they do or not, I'm freaking impressed.

So far, I'm only like lvl 7, but this seems to be one of the most unique MMOs I've ever played. F2P or P2P. But, before I go much further.... I have to ask one single question:

How deep is the game? How deep are the characters (mercs I think?) and are there unlockable tiers of them? Some of my favorite games of all time are Final Fantasy and Ogre Battle SNES and 64. This game seems to be alot like them, but if it doesn't have a deep character system then I don't think I'm going to be able to go much further.

Comments

• PaladuckPaladuck Member Posts: 2

AO is very unique and I enjoyed it immensely for the time that I played it.  I think the character system is pretty deep, although there are definitely more popular builds.  Since you get up to 9 mercs there's a lot of room for experimentation.

The questing gets kind of boring after a while but you can pretty much quest grind your way to a really high level.  There's some partying, but not much, and frankly partying is annoying in the game (having 3 guys, 27 total mercs in turn-based combat got annoying to me).  Equipping 9 mercs with gear and weapons can be kind of a drag too.

The PvP is very fun.  There's Free League where you are matched against other players in the same division as you (determined by your wins and also what level you are).  Level and gear differences are minimized in Free League, so it pretty much plays out like a chess match - who has a better setup and who can better manage their team.  It's very rewarding.

Anyway I would definitely continue playing.  Don't be afraid to jump into PVP as soon as you're able.  I ended up quitting around level 80 or so but that's a helluva lot farther than I get in most MMOs XD

• CelebiCelebi Member Posts: 53

Well for me to be able to use your character you must know everything about it. their skill and even where in the formation should it be placed. because that's very important and using them wisely in each turn. in AO of course it's strategic so you really have a strategies, you even need to know the weakness of the character and the build of your opponent. Different build different strategies,

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

for pvp you will have to know alot to be good

for pve you can just wing it and use scrolls and parties for tough stuff

so you have room to work both ways you can make it complex if you want or just wing it if you dont

• AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

This game IS impressive.  Very different than any other MMORPG in my opinion.  Anyway...I would not say the game is "deep" in that there is not a rich story line.  However, you WILL want to improve your merceneries a lot.

• Song7Song7 Member Posts: 19

I just starting playing this game last night.  Thanks to the Blogs about it over at http://blog.eldergoth.com/2010/02/howdy-yall-from-lost-city-of-atlantica.html .  This really is a unique MMO. The change of pace in combat and the fact that I have more to worry about in combat other than my single character is refreshing to say the least.  Of course I did enjoy some of the FF games and quite a few of the old D&D games on older consoles.  So this brings back the nolstalgia of those times :)

Anyway, for the price there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to not try this title.

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

What i like the most about this game is the auto-battle and auto-move feature where you just have to click or press on a command and it will automatically play for you or go to whatever destination you need to go to. :D or maybe im just too lazy or fed up with the non-stop grinding with other mmos. :D Peace!

• l0wrydal0wryda Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by TheHatter

Ok, I just tried this game for the first time tonight. I always thought that it made #1 here for so long because they gave away some incentives for voting or something. Whether they do or not, I'm freaking impressed.

So far, I'm only like lvl 7, but this seems to be one of the most unique MMOs I've ever played. F2P or P2P. But, before I go much further.... I have to ask one single question:

How deep is the game? How deep are the characters (mercs I think?) and are there unlockable tiers of them? Some of my favorite games of all time are Final Fantasy and Ogre Battle SNES and 64. This game seems to be alot like them, but if it doesn't have a deep character system then I don't think I'm going to be able to go much further.

The character system is divided into merc classes. The mercs you have seen so far are considered D class. Ndoors has lately been adding new mercs in almost every major content patch. So for example, let's take a look at the archer:

You may be familiar with the D class archer that you have the option of recruiting starting out in the game.

By doing quest chains or buying summon marbles from the market, you can get these C class archers...

Prophet - melee buffing aura with melee weapon break spells

Hwarang - range buffing aura with high multi rate

The D class archer can be upgraded to Dark Archer - multi arrow nuke 3 turn silence

and finally B class Empress - can silence and cast spell similar to monks holy guard.

No A class archer exists atm.

Collecting and testing various formations is part of what makes AO fun. Watch the titan championships and you'll notice that there isn't really a cookie cutter formation. 

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

I'm 128 and I am still impressed with the game though I have seen everything in it already. One of the best MMOs definitely.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by TheHatter

This game, and many other F2P, has the ability to rip a hole in your wallet if you cannot control your gambling instincts. I suggest that if you ever hit the item shop, only buy the following

Licenses (including Blessing, Merc Packs, and etc. that give you utlity + other useful things).

Atlas Ores.

Either sell the Atlas Ores or use them. Do NOT buy anything else. The chance of actually obtaining said item in other boxes is cheaper if you sell Atlas Ores and buy it. Yes, it takes more time, but it costs FAR less.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • MephPotatoMephPotato Member Posts: 10

It's an amazing game, but as the previous poster said, watch out for the Item Shop, that's the only reason I have quit it, PVP is ALOT of fun in this game, but to be any good at it you have to dump HUGE amounts of money into the game as equiping all nine mercs is quite expensive, skill and item wise.

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by MephPotato

It's an amazing game, but as the previous poster said, watch out for the Item Shop, that's the only reason I have quit it, PVP is ALOT of fun in this game, but to be any good at it you have to dump HUGE amounts of money into the game as equiping all nine mercs is quite expensive, skill and item wise.

Absolutely NO. Look at Sharingan (if you ever know who is this and what he did).

I don't dump huge amount of  money to equip my mercs, actually I don't dump any money at all, I know a lot of people who don't do it either, whats wrong with us?

I just see a position of a lvl 80 player who's mercs SUDDENLY needed a lvl 80 upgrade and who did not care about it in advance, same with skill books. What do you do with your money may I ask, when upgrading mercenaries is the PRIMARY goal of all players.

• hardgameshardgames Member Posts: 71

I'm level 84 and I don't intend to stop any time soon. For me, this is one of the best MMORPGs.

In terms of character, it is very good since you can choose from a lot of available mercenaries and build your own formation. Most mercenaries also require you to do a special quest chain to get them (usually done with a party) so there is somehow a story behind most of them which is cool. :)

Played: Runescape, Adventure Quest
    Currently playing: Aika Global, Atlantica Online
    Waiting for: Cardmon Hero, Dynasty Warriors Online