Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I hope

LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

What I'm hoping for in FFXIV, is a better. polished, and fun game, that gives me the option to solo/duo with my wife without waiting for groups for hours on end. That said, I want this option, but don't want it to be too easy. Some of the best memories I had with FFXI was because it had it's hard moments that needed help from the community.

I want to remember things like getting my Kahzam Keys, running to Jeuno at low levels, being scared the whole way, to get my choc license. I loved the ancient magic my wife would use in parties, and me and a SAM friend of ours would renkei, with perfect timing just as her ancient magic burst would go off. I want to experience these things again.

I hope theres boats that have skeleton pirates attack at night, I want some unforgiving things to death, so people really work hard together to make dieing a minimal.

I could go on and on, but what I'm hoping for is FFXIV is easier in the aspect of being able for my wife and I to get alot done just us 2 but the community will still need to rely on each other alot. Thats what made FFXIs community so damn good.

Heres hoping I log into FFXIV and in time get some awesome memories like I had in FFXI, and some things need to be an effort to get, so we can all have those memories for a long time to come.

Not asking for too much am I :) Just want a game where us 2 can get in and go, but want the sense of accomplishment we had in XI as well.

Comments

• Novic2Novic2 Member UncommonPosts: 74

Going by the success and level of community around FFXI, its reasonable to assume this will be better.

Having played all the Final Fantasy series I missed out on the launch of FFXI and I talked myself into thinking that paying monthly for a Final Fantasy game was wrong.

But seeing the success of FFXI and anticipating FFIV I must say I will have to jump on this bandwagon.

I would really like to know what Chocobo taste like though.

I hope there is Chocobo roast or Chocobo drumstick. As if all those humanoid races ignore the giant yellow chickens and eat other things.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I don't think there's any reason to worry about these kind of things. 

I'm more worried about the technical side if anything- aside from the server stability and RMT, which should be fine.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Leucent

What I'm hoping for in FFXIV, is a better. polished, and fun game, that gives me the option to solo/duo with my wife without waiting for groups for hours on end. That said, I want this option, but don't want it to be too easy. Some of the best memories I had with FFXI was because it had it's hard moments that needed help from the community.

I want to remember things like getting my Kahzam Keys, running to Jeuno at low levels, being scared the whole way, to get my choc license. I loved the ancient magic my wife would use in parties, and me and a SAM friend of ours would renkei, with perfect timing just as her ancient magic burst would go off. I want to experience these things again.

I hope theres boats that have skeleton pirates attack at night, I want some unforgiving things to death, so people really work hard together to make dieing a minimal.

I could go on and on, but what I'm hoping for is FFXIV is easier in the aspect of being able for my wife and I to get alot done just us 2 but the community will still need to rely on each other alot. Thats what made FFXIs community so damn good.

Heres hoping I log into FFXIV and in time get some awesome memories like I had in FFXI, and some things need to be an effort to get, so we can all have those memories for a long time to come.

Not asking for too much am I :) Just want a game where us 2 can get in and go, but want the sense of accomplishment we had in XI as well.

Hear hear.

I agree. I do hope they don't make the game to where a sense of community is not only pointless, but impossible to develop, as is the case with so many newer MMOs.

Part of me thinks that SE knows what they got right with FFXI - and the strong focus on community was definitely one of them - and they will carry those same lessons learned over into FFXIV. Another part of me thinks that, if they decide "well we already went niche with FFXI, let's go more mainstream with FFXIV", that they might be willing to sacrifice a stronger sense of community, in favor of attracting more players, by playing more to the least common denominator, and less to the "niche crowd" they focused on with FFXI.

Anyways... Here's hoping.

By the way... Are you the same Leucent on Asura, formerly Pandy?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Nope, I was on Ramuh.

I agree, I think SE will not mess with the community feel. From what I've read and seen, it seems like they are giving the option to solo/duo, but rewards are greater to team up etc. I think this game will be great and can't wait, but I won't get too excited(even though I preordered 2 copies of the CE). I learned my lesson as my 2 all time favorite games were DAOC and FFXI, well we know how the DAOC successor turned out :( I think SE is a smarter company then Mythic though.

• De4dd0gDe4dd0g Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by Leucent

I agree to the fullest exctent as well. The things you've mentioned are some of the things I loved so much about FFXI. The only reason i'm not playing FFXI now is because it runs so horrible on my laptop and my laptop is brand new. Anyways I think FFXIV will be a great success they have had a lot of time to polish and tweak the game. I can't wait for it's release.

//Processor//AMD Phenom II x6 (4.6GHZ)//Video//CrossfireX ATI Radeon HD 5850//Motherboard//ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3//RAM//6GB DDR3 2000mhz Patriot//HDD//Raid 0 7200RPM Seagate 1TB//

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I hope it'll start out small, and grow from there.

If it's good, people will get it. Sooner or later. And the best part is that the longer it stays around, the better it gets. 

I think especially after the first expansion the subs will start rising rapidly.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • PallytimePallytime Member Posts: 109

Nothing like getting on a ship to sail half way across the world. While on the ship you're enjoying the scenery, talking to the locals. All of a sudden, "Hey, that's weird. It's storming." "Holy crap we're being bordered by pirates" & then you get really scared when you realize that you're only level 12 and everyone is running for their lives because the IT+++++++++ mobs are "wtf pwning" every player on board.

.... ah the memories :3

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I would like to remind the OP that the same things that he is remembering fondly now, are the things he, and probably all of us were cursing out while we were doing them. Sense of accomplishment always comes after the fact and in retrospect... however, many games fail because of this same thing.

I see this game watered down in this respect, and really fearful interactions are probably not gonna be as common place as they were in FFXI. This will be the "mainstream" version of FFXI after all. The real challenge, and it has already been stated, is going to come at end game, where they will be reving up things.

What I hope: I really really hope that RMT is decidedly abolished this time around. I dropped off FFXI not because of the gameplay, or how hard some things were (I loved the challenge); I left because of the completely ruined economy, and the 24/7 farmed NMs... Which reminds me, I also really hope that they do away with a SET respawn timer and location for NMs. These should be completely random, and they should spawn anywhere in a huge area as to make it impossible for a single person, to farm them on a consistant basis.

Addendum: I also hope that grouping in groups of 15 is possible from the onset of the game, and not just end-game, with appropo rewards.