Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm almost 30...

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I had to take a good 2 weeks break from the game because I was already feeling the grind. I'm a gladiator atm with a sorc duo partner.

In those two weeks I DLed several f2p games, the most recent, RoM, fired up my antivirus over malware.

Darkfall would have been interseting if it wasn't FP.

Eve would be fun too if it was a little more in the PvE department, and a little less in the punk kids wanting to get revenge for sucking at life bit.

So I'm wondering when does Aion start to pick up? We've done some rifting, it was ok until the 50's and twinks pop up. I don't see how anyone gets any decent gear without buying gold.

Personally, I think MMO's are dying. My gf insists we have something to play when we get bored. Ay dios mio.

Comments

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

funny that everyone on this dubious site thinks that mmo's are dying because she/he cant find the right game for him/herself ...

• a7folda7fold Member UncommonPosts: 59

It's not that MMO's are dieing, it's that there hasn't been anything lately that has captured the all-around wholeness of what an MMO needs to be. Some people like PvP in an MMO, other's like PvE. Some enjoy an advanced crafting system where as other's just like to be able to craft something as long as they have the materials to do so. Therefore, there is so many different styles and most of the games as of late have been focused on primarily one target of people. Also most importantly, the polish on many games has just not been the same as say a World of Wacraft polish. Aion is a game that yes doesn't have many bugs, but does however really target a set type of MMO person and yes there is a few ways to enhance in the game for other's but not many.

You have to realize the MMO scene is still relatively new, (Yes I realize MMO's have been around for awhile). What I mean is that companies are still learning what cuts it to be a good/mediocre/or complete crap MMO. A lot of companies are jumping the gun to rush their MMO out because they think its the next best thing and they see the achievement that Blizzard has accomplished, but it always comes down to they are just missing "something" or in some cases they are missing what is even an MMO.

On the brightside, we have a ton of games coming out within the next year that all can be great contenders for the next best thing. Yes, I know it's some time away and you would like something to play now, but I think all of us feel that way as of right now and we have made it this far. Currently, I am just kind of jumping game to game doing the best I can. I recently picked up a few RPG that aren't MMO's that I am liking.

As for Aion too, I hear it is a grind, and the only way the game gets better is if you enjoy the PvP in the game.

EDIT - Oh and my advice to be for a game for you and your girlfriend to play - League of Legends, it's just all around fun game for a few hours when your bored. I don't see why anyone could hate it. If your more interested in MMO's then I would say give a new game that just went into Open Beta a try called Martial Empires - It's actually a very nice polished F2P MMO in my opinion

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Group as much as possible and its so much more fun. I grouped, a lot, for BC on Asmo side and gained 6 levels in a couple days. I am now working on TC and doing the same.  Then once you are high enough do solo quests. It's much more enjoyable. Especially if your chick is hot...wait its a dude I forget....damn Asian MMOs!!

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by lathaan

funny that everyone on this dubious site thinks that mmo's are dying because she/he cant find the right game for him/herself ...

+1 image

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Thanks for the advice! I've actually been plying LoL since beta. She tried it a bit, but when we play games together it's to unwind, and the tense nature, and unforgivable gameplay were kind of a put off. Also, we were lvl 30 and had tons of runes (which were free at the time of course), and she did not like the idea of starting all over again after the wipe.

I still play. The game is great because it's 100% free with no pay 2 power. Having all the characters makes you more versatile, but it doesn't give you an edge like in Last Saga. I think I still play LoL because it's NOT an MMO.

As for MMO's, you can't ignore the fact that it's in a wierd state. The starwars game had a piece of info that really gathered my interest for the game. The guy in the interview said that they thought the whole 1 giant mob for a raid to kill wasn't very heroic. Instead, they liked the idea of going up against near-impossible odds. That, to me, is what an MMO needs, something that feels epic again.

20 people beating on an oversize mob is played out.

I'm looking forward to some of these titles coming out like Vindictus, GW2, FF, Old republic, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by helthros

I had to take a good 2 weeks break from the game because I was already feeling the grind. I'm a gladiator atm with a sorc duo partner. 

So I'm wondering when does Aion start to pick up? We've done some rifting, it was ok until the 50's and twinks pop up. I don't see how anyone gets any decent gear without buying gold.

If you're feeling the grind at 30, it's going to become unbearable to you by 40. For example, from 48 to 49 it takes 120 million XP. At 30 you can start Fire Temple, which is probably the least entertaining instance I've done in all the MMO's I've played. At 30 you are going to be flat broke unless you spent a lot of time gathering or gotten lucky with drops. It is impossible for a new player in Aion to have or save any substantial amount of kinah. I spent over 1 million kinah on level 37 skill books. It's craziness. 

To be honest, rifting is my favorite thing to do in the game. That is if you can find any decent PVP. Nowadays a lot of rifts are camped by 50s. It's either that or I run around for an hour looking for someone in my level range to fight. Frankly, Aion is in a sad state right now. There's simply not enough subs for the idea of world PVP to work. People have speculated we currently have around 30k subs. That is abysmally low for a PVP game. They are merging 13 NA servers down to 4 though, so hopefully that will liven things up a bit. 

Aion needs more instanced on-demand PVP. I hate to say it, especially here, but WoW had it right with objective based battlegrounds. If I wanted to PVP I got right into the action -- not running around a map for hours finding maybe a dozen people to fight. 

If you just want to dick around while you're waiting for another MMO and don't mind the sub fee, I'd say go for it. Just don't get too tied up in the grind. Just play when you feel like playing. 

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

yeah as some one else said if you feel like you're grinding at 30 you're gunna be hatin life at 40 lol thats when i started feeling it and it was like a brickwall. Glad was my least favorite class tho it was just boring as hell, if you had made an SM to duo with the Sorc you could "fly" through the levels duoing elites. i could solo them pretty easy on my SM was getting like 850k per kill with rest and that was before the exp tweak. or was rest with the exp boost thingy. either way was alot of exp but i was so burnt out i just couldn't do it anymore.

i soloed elites from 30-40, after grinding regular mobs for 30 levels the elites was a nice change of pace.

Is this lvl 40 grind business post 1.9?

My main problem isn't so much the leveling, it's WHERE I'm leveling. Whoever decided that vast deserts was a suitable place for a zone in every game deserves a kick to the shins or something.

Deserts are SOOO boring. I try to go out into the abyss but I can't find any quests out there. When do we move past this god forsaken desert? (Elyos btw, Eltnen area)

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

most boring part is eltnen...

once heiron and theobomos is unlocked thats when it gets better,

u should just grind in theo, not a lot of asmos to bother u and u can do the plat coin repeat to grind ur lvls.

Is this lvl 40 grind business post 1.9?

My main problem isn't so much the leveling, it's WHERE I'm leveling. Whoever decided that vast deserts was a suitable place for a zone in every game deserves a kick to the shins or something.

Deserts are SOOO boring. I try to go out into the abyss but I can't find any quests out there. When do we move past this god forsaken desert? (Elyos btw, Eltnen area)

They didn't fix the grind at any part of the game. They made repeatable quests worth doing by making them reward more XP per turn in. If that masks the grind for you then you're in luck because there's a lot of them. Soon you can go to Heiron, which is a nice change. There's only five zones not including the Abyss. Sooner or later, you're going to get sick of looking at the same scenery.

• inalizinaliz Member UncommonPosts: 45

Unfortunately mmorpgs died a long time ago, a little thing called going popular, mainstream. When things become manstream they tend to get very boring. There a lot of different mmos that are fun. Recently I have been playing APB and having a blast, there are also things like dota hybrids, league of legends for example. Just have to look deeper and try new stuff. mmorpgs have gone very stale. But the days of original concepts and complex gameplay are a thing of the past. We can only hope that those days return somehow.

The reason why I say MMO's are dead is because it's the only genre that can regularly charge 50 bux + 15 a month for a product that's clearly not finished. The producers just give youa big IOU and never really deliver.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Originally posted by Zookz

They didn't fix the grind at any part of the game. They made repeatable quests worth doing by making them reward more XP per turn in. If that masks the grind for you then you're in luck because there's a lot of them. Soon you can go to Heiron, which is a nice change. There's only five zones not including the Abyss. Sooner or later, you're going to get sick of looking at the same scenery.

Did you even play this game the last month since 1.9 or tried leveling up?

Because you posted something utterly false once before about 1.9 and it doesnt sound like you did.

Yes, I've played since beta off and on. The fact is, that in my eyes repeatable quests do not equate to fixing the grind. If you think doing repeatables is not grinding well then that's your perspective. It still takes the same amount of XP to level up, they just added "content" through repeatable quests. 

Which part of what I said is false?

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

In those two weeks I DLed several f2p games, the most recent, RoM, fired up my antivirus over malware.

Darkfall would have been interseting if it wasn't FP.

Eve would be fun too if it was a little more in the PvE department, and a little less in the punk kids wanting to get revenge for sucking at life bit.

Personally, I think MMO's are dying. My gf insists we have something to play when we get bored. Ay dios mio.

well i got to 40 when aion dropped before i got bored