Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash shops really bad?

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

First of all I dislike them, but thankfully I have a choice to not use them or simply not play games that are build around it.

But,

Are they really that bad?

Have we forgotten somethings? things like those thousands if not millions of 3rd party websites offering gold/credits/characters/items and what not?

I saw some person saying he left Fallen Earth due to it having 2 items in their cashshop, yet that person said he was returning to EVE which has numerous websites where you can buy any type of item/ship/character but that seems to be completely ignored. The same does go for about any MMORPG.

Regardless that I dislike cash shops I rather have gamecompany's to offer the items then some shoddy 3rd party site, that way atleast the money goes to the developers instead of just going who knows where your money is going to.

Do people who for some reason have these so-called principles against Cash Shops totally forgotten the goldscammers?

I am not saying that due to ingame cash shops that those cheaters have become less, but as said rather have the gamecompany's that offer a MMORPG to have the money that people seem willing to spend regardless.

My reason when disliking cash shops is when the items or what ever are better then what can be found ingame by pure playing it, but then again how is that different when people even without ingame cash shops still are able to buy their stuff thru 3rd party sites?

Still I dislike both Cash shops and 3rd party sites, but my main question is " Do you rather have a gamecompany get your money or are you okay with games that don't have cashshops but have millions of 3rd party site offering often allot more then what we can find in cash shops"?

Comments

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Reklaw

Still I dislike both Cash shops and 3rd party sites, but my main question is " Do you rather have a gamecompany get your money or are you okay with games that don't have cashshops but have millions of 3rd party site offering often allot more then what we can find in cash shops"?

Terrible terrible argument. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'll give an extreme analogy of what you're doing:

"Hey guys, we sell drugs legally, I know it sucks for the kids and some don't like it. But do you want illegal drugs that might kill you sold by drug cartels instead?"

That's what you're doing and sadly that's the what some game companies are hiding behind.

Instead of telling the truth, "RMT is making us more money, we don't care about integrity or morality".

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by bastionix

"Hey guys, we sell drugs legally, I know it sucks for the kids and some don't like it. But do you want illegal drugs that might kill you sold by drug cartels instead?"

That's what you're doing and sadly that's the what some game companies are hiding behind.

Instead of telling the truth, "RMT is making us more money, we don't care about integrity or morality".

So this means you are okay with 3rd party sites then?image

That's what you're doing.

Yet you seem unable to actually stay on topic and answer your thoughts about it, to bad image

My answer is totally on-topic, you probably just don't like it because it's undermining your pretense.

That's what you're doing.

Yet you seem unable to actually stay on topic and answer your thoughts about it, to bad image

My answer is totally on-topic, you probably just don't like it because it's undermining your pretense.

Reason why just like you I editted my reply to you

So this means you are okay with 3rd party sites then?image

No, but like I said, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Not to  mentniion 3rd party sites didn't go away in RMT games. It seems to be the opposite, most RMT games had many more 3rd part sites because they could get into contact with players who were much more lenient to online trading of items.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Well, interesting point on who should be getting the money, but ultimatly I would say it should be possible to not have either exist. A lot of those 3rd party sites should be hunted down and closed, and I would hope most people are smart and ethical not to use them. After playing WoW again recently its easy to see that all these sites are getting their gold through hacking other players acounts. They are even selling characters that they are stealing from other people. They are just theft pure and simple, so to try it's possibly better to allow the devs to get money instead of the criminals is a wierd statement.

Cash shops run by the devs just take an aspect of the game away for me. That feeling of achievement for earning something through effort. It also tends to be felt in other ways throughout the game. I will not play games that are using big cash shops, and games like WoW come close to making me not want to play it as well. With it containing a cash shop and the items from the card game.

Originally posted by BloodDuality

Well, interesting point on who should be getting the money, but ultimatly I would say it should be possible to not have either exist. A lot of those 3rd party sites should be hunted down and closed, and I would hope most people are smart and ethical not to use them. After playing WoW again recently its easy to see that all these sites are getting their gold through hacking other players acounts. They are even selling characters that they are stealing from other people. They are just theft pure and simple, so to try it's possibly better to allow the devs to get money instead of the criminals is a wierd statement.

Cash shops run by the devs just take an aspect of the game away for me. That feeling of achievement for earning something through effort. It also tends to be felt in other ways throughout the game. I will not play games that are using big cash shops, and games like WoW come close to making me not want to play it as well. With it containing a cash shop and the items from the card game.

Fully agree and wish it could be that way, unfortunaly we seem surrounded with un-ethical type of players who want it all and want it now, kinda the reason why this genre is going the way it's going, so am afraid there is no stopping those type of people trying to play games with the use of cash-shops or 3rd party shops.

And as a response to Bastionix I already stated in my OP that regardless games have cashshops we still see plenty of 3rd party shops.

But as you said Blood I would love to see them both be gone, but since that seems somewhat unrealistic in a world where people want it all and want it now I rather have the money spend by those people go straight to the gamecompany's then it's going to some 3rd party shop.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I did just have a thought about cash shops... They could be considered the Extenze of the mmo world. Pay now and it will instantly increase your e-peen. No need to wait several months either for the effects.

• fnorgbyfnorgby Member Posts: 158

OP makes a good point, IMO.  Putting aside whether a company *should* do their own RMT.

People claim to make a stand on principle, and refuse to play an otherwise fun game because it has a cash shop.  A reason often cited is that cash shops ruin the game and make it "pay to win".

Don't the illegal RMT sites do the same thing?  And yet, people won't quit games that have no official RMT until and unless the *potential* that RMT ruins the economy becomes actual reality.

The principled stand would be to refuse to play any game with any kind of RMT.  Why the extra hate for companies that make the obvious decision "Hey someone's going to make money off of RMT in this game, may as well be us?"

So I see that there's a difference in how players perceive official vs. unofficial RMT shops.  What I don't understand is why.

I can also roleplay the tower in a chess game and shout "is that a peasant at the horizon I see? I will smash it I will! Oh damn I broke one of my merlons!". -- maji

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I don't see them as bad at all, since I've pretty much abused the vast majority of F2P games and played for free. The few I have actually dumped money in are ones I always play every once in a while, but one of them was shutdown because I was probably the only one there. That happened to me in Tabula Rasa though too, and Auto Assault.

While there are definitely some practices that *are* there to make sure the Player doesn't get exactly what he wants (Gatchapon/Random Chests), there are usually ways to trade whatever you get and end up with what you inteded for.

There are also some failsafes in-play, such as not even being able to buy the expensive stuff until a certain level, and that will make a person get far into the game before they truly have a chance to see if their mind is made up on buying or not.

The things I don't like about this system though, are this;

Temporary items. Many games still have these, and I will never buy any, though I have mistakenly before. I'm not butthurt about it, but I never bought another item for that game after that.

The Cost. It's around 2.50$ per item in most games that I have seen, and the amount of customizable slots can range up to 8-10. Takes roughly 20$ to deck out a character, and you only get one complete outfit. The method really needs to aim for cheaper items, and far more selection. People would be more inclined to spend a full 20$ if it filled a lesser-sided wardrobe. I'm still on the fence for many games because of this, but I see myself coughing up eventually for DFO.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

First of all I dislike them, but thankfully I have a choice to not use them or simply not play games that are build around it.

But,

Are they really that bad?

Have we forgotten somethings? things like those thousands if not millions of 3rd party websites offering gold/credits/characters/items and what not?

I saw some person saying he left Fallen Earth due to it having 2 items in their cashshop, yet that person said he was returning to EVE which has numerous websites where you can buy any type of item/ship/character but that seems to be completely ignored. The same does go for about any MMORPG.

Regardless that I dislike cash shops I rather have gamecompany's to offer the items then some shoddy 3rd party site, that way atleast the money goes to the developers instead of just going who knows where your money is going to.

Do people who for some reason have these so-called principles against Cash Shops totally forgotten the goldscammers?

I am not saying that due to ingame cash shops that those cheaters have become less, but as said rather have the gamecompany's that offer a MMORPG to have the money that people seem willing to spend regardless.

My reason when disliking cash shops is when the items or what ever are better then what can be found ingame by pure playing it, but then again how is that different when people even without ingame cash shops still are able to buy their stuff thru 3rd party sites?

Ineteresting view but moot point nonetheless . You may ask why, well it's simple: Legitimacy , i played a few MMO's and one i played had a cash shop , a majority of the players used and some to a ridiculous extend while in WoW i knew no one who used third party sites , sure there must have been people using them but i'm pretty sure those are rare. And there is the difference, once something becomes legitimate the temptation to use it will increase , no one would like for his account to be banned and using a third party site to provide you with illegal bonuses is risking to get banned and than you would have spend money for NOTHING .

If i know someone who used a 3rd party site i'd report him , if i know someone who used a cash shop , well , errr , it ends there i guess?

But on the otherhand whether i'd despise or not a cash shop would depend on the game. If it's a PvE based game i wouldn't really be bothered but in a competitive PvP game , BAH! I don't care if someone can kill the Lich King because he spent more money than me but i'd care if he could kill me just because he has unlimited access to his mom credit card.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

There are many cash shops, from the ones with just fluffy items to the ones that affect endgame. 

From my brief observation, most cash shop works on quality of leveling by awesome low level gear, xp potions, etc. However, the main component in the asian grind f2p is that the leveling takes so long time that without buying from the cash shop it could be unbearable. 

Again it is the time vs. money thing, so there is no right or wrongs just preferences.