Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2-not getting us psyched for nothing

2»

Comments

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Karesh

why is everyone calling me a she? lol, I'm a guy XD

Sush, you. I think a bunch of random, faceless internet strangers would know better than you would.

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

why is everyone calling me a she? lol, I'm a guy XD

Are you sure? The internet seems to think you are a girl, and the internet doesn't lie.

------------------------------

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Wait wait, was I just on crack or did I really see someone say

"Darkfall was the most hyped MMO when it was coming out"...?

I'm pretty sure that it was never ever close to the top of THIS sites hype before, during, or post release.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by ocbdare

I definitely agree with everything deviliscious said. A lot of people don't know much about ArenaNet.

To MMOExposed, I doubt anyone who has ever had a taste of the game would compare to a traditional MMORPG. If you google Guild Wars you are absolutely sure to find out that it's instanced. ArenaNet have stated this a gazillion times and they have always called it a CORPG. No deception here.

What I liked about Guild Wars was it's PvP. There was no game that can match GW in that respect at the time and I believe this is still the case. The limitless combinations of skills and team setups made games like WoW and Lineage ( the other 2 very popular MMORPGs at the time)  look like a handicapped feature that was only a fraction of the depth that was in GW.

While Guild Wars seems to lack the MMO aspect of MMORPGs, most other MMORPGs seem to lack the RPG part of MMORPG. The world never changes, there isn't a good coherent storyline. RPGs are all about stories, roleplaying and getting this immersive feeling and not only about blowing stuff up and increasing that little number (called level) in the corner of your screen. Most traditional MMORPGs have unrelated quests, the sole purpose of which is to give you extra experience.

Finally, let's talk about PvE. I have a few GW players who have never played other MMORPGs. When I introduced them to WoW, their reaction was 'what the hell is this??? The PvE is so boring and easy. What the hell is the purpose of this.' And when I told them that it was supposed to get fun when they hit the cap after 2 MONTHS, they said hell no way I am playing 2 months to get to level 60. My point is that GW PvE was challenging and fun even if you played solo. No MMORPGs is fun and dynamic outside of raids. Questing is just plain damn easy that ends up being 1,2,3,4 or even 1,2. GW PvE requires skill and coordination.

This is why GW was the main game I played and it was gazillion times more appealing to me than sub MMOs. I would have definitely paid a monthly sub if GW had had one.

Was actually funny, the first time I played Guild wars1, I hated it. I thought it was too linear and too pve focused.. gave them a bad review then after I had stopped playing for a bit Arena Net sent me a survey and Asked for my feedback. Thought that was pretty cool, they actually wanted to know why I wasn;t playing. Then after that, My brother won a video card from them at a competition and talked me into giving it another go. I came back and focused on the PVp and realized I actually really enjoyed the pvp on guild wars much better than other games out there.  Came to love it after giving it a real chance. The first time I played I had some bad expierences with creeps that I had to group with and didn't enjoy how isolated the grouping was or how linear the game was. For what they did though, they did it well,  very polished, indepth detail, and their treatment of their players was outstanding.

They won me over with their persistance.Aren Net actually cares what the players think, listens to them and tries to make that a reality. I commend them for their outstanding work thus far, and have the upmost confidence they will do as they say they will.

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by MMOExposed

:: random gobbledegook ::

How come you changed accounts and are not using the MMODoubter account anymore?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Lazerou

:: random gobbledegook ::

How come you changed accounts and are not using the MMODoubter account anymore?

I'm pretty sure he was banned.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

It's totaly going to be the game of the year, whatever anyone says.

People predicted Aion would be it, but it was pretty straightforward and boring + filled with gold spammers.

I don't see how an original title, free to play, with a lot of original content, could fail where others did.

It will easily become the social and fun game everyone have been looking for lately I believe.

• NoEndInLifeNoEndInLife Member Posts: 189

This game will probably be good.

The way I see it, everything starts wih trust. For now, I'm trusting anet developers as they haven't "decieved" me or let me down so far. Once they actually do("decieve", let down, etc.), then you could have your doubts about a game. But for now have a little faith.

I believe everyone should look at developers this way. They shouldn't say if they're gonna screw up based on how other games did.

And as for MMOExposed, you srsly got to chillax lol. It's like I see someone post something that you feel is "fanboy-ish" or whatever and there you come running to bash that person.

I have to admit it's kind of funny seeing you in action but it's not right to put ppl down because they are excited about a game.

If you are really tired of seeing fanboys then just don't go to the forums as there will ALWAYS be fanboys of a game. Kind of like the same way there will always be ppl like you in the forums who doubt lots of games.

And, yeah, I do expect a response from you taking something from my post and turning it against me or whatever. And I actually am kind of interested in what you're going to say.

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet." -Bob Marley

I'm probably one of those people who just get wet.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

once again there is no item mall that sells stuff like xp potions, great armor etc!!! that would be against everything arenanet stands for. They sell only expansions or bonus missions, or some costumes which are all optional!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The GW2 demo is next month I think but lately there hasn't been much to get excited about. Still plenty of time though. Right now I am more excited about FFXIV.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

I know that at least most people who have really been following Guild Wars 2 should already know this...but I just want to point out (for those people who claim that GW2 won't pull through with what they claim to have), that A-net doesn't hype us up for nothing. They have said in more than one review/article, that they almost always only release information after said information is already in the game. So for everything that A-Net claims GW2 will have, we can be pretty sure that they're going to have it.          

Oh Yeah RIght,,,,,

Here we go again,,,,,,, another crazed fangirl in to hype a game they know little about.

GW2 is getting the hype of being a F2P game (which many people here are assuming the item shop will be vanity only like GW1 was, which wasnt even a MMO"

Many of the gameplay limits arent known as of yet.

Just go back and look at GW1 forum post here back during beta.

Many people here also thought it was a MMO from the hype alone. Many people didnt even know the World was completely Instanced..

Hype Means nothing until the game comes out.

I am surprised most MMO players on this Site havent realize this by now.

Like my History teacher said...

"History doesnt repeat History,,,, People repeat History"

1. I honestly don't like much of what you post, you seem to really loathe most every MMORPG you post about and that isn't productive or helpful. If you balanced all of that negativity with something positive, such as a direction that the game can go to be better, we could call it criticism. As it stands, what you do is little more than berate things for not meeting your standards. I hate to emphasise the 'your' but your posting history demonstrates this and your posting name, well, makes it rather clear too.

2. Guild Wars is a MMORPG, period. It fulfills the criteria in the general definition.

3. ArenaNet is severely gimped by whatever support NCSoft deigns to give them, period. ArenaNet has become a wholly-owned (wholly-pwned?) subsidary of NCSoft, a legal fiction that says ArenaNet is really a division within NCSoft but not for marketing purposes. This means that ArenaNet can have a whole host of wonderful ideas that they cannot implement in the game at launch because their publisher, NCSoft, wants it out sooner. ArenaNet, as a developer, has an outstanding history. Yep, I absolutely loathe NCSoft but ArenaNet really is the diamond in that rough and they deserve player support. Break the chains, AreanNet, break the chains!

4. You are absolutely correct about hype meaning nothing. Unlike NCSoft's AION, though, ArenaNet is taking us through what is going on and not making grandiose claims that aren't representative of what is going on in the game (cf. AION's flight hype v. in-game flying).

5. A vanity item shop doesn't do anything at all to harm the game. People who want to PvP only pay a premium to unlock all of the skills for use in PvP via the NCStore and the rest, aside from the digital downloads of the games themselves, are purely vanity. Perhaps the lone exceptions are the weapon pack from the GotY version and the 2008 (I think that's the right year) uprage where you can have a summonable imp of your level follow you around up to level 20. If GW2 follows this model, which is likely where it is applicable, there is no worry at all.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by The_Grump

I know that at least most people who have really been following Guild Wars 2 should already know this...but I just want to point out (for those people who claim that GW2 won't pull through with what they claim to have), that A-net doesn't hype us up for nothing. They have said in more than one review/article, that they almost always only release information after said information is already in the game. So for everything that A-Net claims GW2 will have, we can be pretty sure that they're going to have it.          

Oh Yeah RIght,,,,,

Here we go again,,,,,,, another crazed fangirl in to hype a game they know little about.

GW2 is getting the hype of being a F2P game (which many people here are assuming the item shop will be vanity only like GW1 was, which wasnt even a MMO"

Many of the gameplay limits arent known as of yet.

Just go back and look at GW1 forum post here back during beta.

Many people here also thought it was a MMO from the hype alone. Many people didnt even know the World was completely Instanced..

Hype Means nothing until the game comes out.

I am surprised most MMO players on this Site havent realize this by now.

Like my History teacher said...

"History doesnt repeat History,,,, People repeat History"

3. ArenaNet is severely gimped by whatever support NCSoft deigns to give them, period. ArenaNet has become a wholly-owned (wholly-pwned?) subsidary of NCSoft, a legal fiction that says ArenaNet is really a division within NCSoft but not for marketing purposes. This means that ArenaNet can have a whole host of wonderful ideas that they cannot implement in the game at launch because their publisher, NCSoft, wants it out sooner. ArenaNet, as a developer, has an outstanding history. Yep, I absolutely loathe NCSoft but ArenaNet really is the diamond in that rough and they deserve player support. Break the chains, AreanNet, break the chains!

Actually A-Net is far better off staying with NcSoft than leaving, mostly because they aren't really gimped by their publisher unlike most developers. Say what you want about NcSoft but they have given A-Net completely free reign with their game with little to no influence from NcSoft East and it's shareholders. A-Net doesn't even answer directly to NcSoft East but to NcSoft west which contains many of A-Net's former employees. Why do you think A-Net has been able implement so many risky ideas into there game? If they had shareholders breathing down there backs not even half of the games proposed features would have made it past the proposal stage.

Sure NcSoft have a terrible reputation and really bad customer service but A-net does it's own customer service and NcSoft provides money with minimal interference which is quite frankly is all you want in a publisher.  

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by The_Grump

5. A vanity item shop doesn't do anything at all to harm the game. People who want to PvP only pay a premium to unlock all of the skills for use in PvP via the NCStore and the rest, aside from the digital downloads of the games themselves, are purely vanity. Perhaps the lone exceptions are the weapon pack from the GotY version and the 2008 (I think that's the right year) uprage where you can have a summonable imp of your level follow you around up to level 20. If GW2 follows this model, which is likely where it is applicable, there is no worry at all.

Two things often overlooked about facts on the Ulock Packs.  They weren't available until summer of 2006 a little better than 1 year after release of the first game, in response to the community asking for them.

"Head to the Guild Wars Official Store to take advantage of this much-requested opportunity" GW Website 8/31/2006