Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: First Impressions

2»

Comments

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Terranah

The character customization is amazing.  Probably the best of any mmo, in my opinion. 

I suck at driving.  I keep weaving all over the road.  I still haven't made up my mind about this game.  I think it could be a roleplayers paradise, especially the noncombat district.

Driving is all about the space key and foward thinking. It takes a bit to get used to.

Agreed, driving is an art form.  You also have to understand the vehicle you are in and its limitations.  Not all of them drive the same which is absolutely awesome IMO.

I was running with some friends last night.  I understand that they were about 10 lvls ( I guess you can say that ) over me.  Which means the people we were going up against were considerably higher than I was as far as gear.  I was still able to have a high kill to death ratio in most of the missions.  I was able to take out the higher level guy from the other side.  Just had to use different tactics. 

They obviously had access to some sniper rifles which were fairly deadly.  I just made it a point to circumnavigate the maps and take them at close range.  All while my team mates were taking on others from their team at close range.  Some times I even jumped a car and drove it right into the snipers or close enough to jump out and take em out.

Very fun FPS IMO.  So far I am liking this game more and more.  It is a better FPS than most static F2P FPS arena shooters out there.  It falls a bit short on the MMORPG side tho.  I would like to see more NON-PvP things to do other than just tattoos, clothing, cars, and music.  I would like to see the ability to go into the contested Zones for Car shows, Racing Competitions, and other things.  However, it seems like after you have said no to a few missions and your noteriety is still up there.  The game will make YOU the focus of another team whether you like it or not.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Bought APB yesterday, off to buy more RAM today. ;)  I was at a severe disadvantage with only 2gigs of RAM. Frankly unplayable in the presence of any other player. So, until I don't freeze and die during shootouts, I can't truly give an opinion other than : customization  is amazing. Designed  a couple decals, customized my toon and clothes, ran around very smoothly in uncontested missions. Will see how tough combat really is tonight, when I can actually move before I am dead. ( 4gigs RAM recommended for this game? Really?)

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

At first i thought it was really hard but after getting into it, making controls work with some practice the game is amazingly realistic.   Problem i have right now is I can not get in the game or even on apb site.   Is the game down for maint.?

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• DraigUKDraigUK Member Posts: 20

Article is spot on after less than a  hundred hours play.

I have more than a hundred hours play.

Still play it. If you take it for what it is and group up you can have an incredibly fun time of it.

I am sometims at a loss to explain why, but bottom line it is fun. Not one to play for years, possibly, depends where they go with it.

Most certainly worth a spin for some fun with your mates. For a new release "MMO" they have done very well indeed.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by Senadina

Bought APB yesterday, off to buy more RAM today. ;)  I was at a severe disadvantage with only 2gigs of RAM. Frankly unplayable in the presence of any other player. So, until I don't freeze and die during shootouts, I can't truly give an opinion other than : customization  is amazing. Designed  a couple decals, customized my toon and clothes, ran around very smoothly in uncontested missions. Will see how tough combat really is tonight, when I can actually move before I am dead. ( 4gigs RAM recommended for this game? Really?)

I had the same problem..

I recently upgraded from windows XP to windows 7..The game ran fine with 2gigs of ram and windows xp,but started stuttering like crazy when i went with windows 7.

...So I upgraded to 8gigs of ram and now it runs like butta.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Outside of being able to play Barbie Dress Up, APB has nothing better than any other online FPS you can play for free.

And bragging rights? LOL

I can brag about getting a BOOM! HEADSHOT!! in any other online FPS. In APB, you can brag you hit the ONE BIG HITBOX!.

If you enjoy the game, more power to you. But if ANYONE tries to claim this game takes "skill", they will be laughed out of the room by the most mediocre of real FPS players.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Outside of being able to play Barbie Dress Up, APB has nothing better than any other online FPS you can play for free.

And bragging rights? LOL

I can brag about getting a BOOM! HEADSHOT!! in any other online FPS. In APB, you can brag you hit the ONE BIG HITBOX!.

If you enjoy the game, more power to you. But if ANYONE tries to claim this game takes "skill", they will be laughed out of the room by the most mediocre of real FPS players.

its not an fps though..

Even still,Planetside has 1 hitbox as well and that game still took skill.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Something I have noticed.
    Pro journalists give the game a mid score, however word on the street, and from less "pro" reviewers, give it a high score.

The fun factor trumps all issues, not that they are ignored, but that they are things that can be corrected, FUN can't.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Somthing i have noticed.

Pro jeronialists give the game a mid score, however word on the street, and from less "pro" reviewers, give it a hig score.

The fun factor trumps all issues, not that they are ingored, but that are things that can be corrected, FUN can't.image

I have noticed a lot of new players have better things to say about the game than those who have played in beta. The game is new and refreshing, but that wears off rather quickly, in my experience, and from what I have read from others who have been playing for a few weeks or more. 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Palebane

Somthing i have noticed.
    Pro jeronialists give the game a mid score, however word on the street, and from less "pro" reviewers, give it a hig score.
    The fun factor trumps all issues, not that they are ingored, but that are things that can be corrected, FUN can't.

I have noticed a lot of new players have better things to say about the game than those who have played in beta. The game is new and refreshing, but that wears off rather quickly, in my experience, and from what I have read from others who have been playing for a few weeks or more. 

I may be an oddity, I have over 300 hours with the title, and am still addicted (this includes beta), I am willing to accept I may be just simply odd.
    However the viral word of mouth is positive, the "pro" stuff isn't so much (not that mediocre is all out bad, its not terrible). Game has flaws, but dam if it isn't fun. As far as for how long, well this is where the payment options are great. (pay by the hours, only the ones you use, never expire). Even this article supports this.

*shrug*

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Pro journalists give the game a mid score, however word on the street, and from less "pro" reviewers, give it a high score.

The fun factor trumps all issues, not that they are ignored, but that they are things that can be corrected, FUN can't.

Something I've noticed, a lot of people who like APB have been saying this sort of thing.  The idea that all the complaints are insignificant, compared to the simple fact that the game is FUN.  Well, the thing is, people generally complain when they're not having fun.  I know, if you find a game fun, it can seem like complainers are just nitpicking, but they only do that, because its not fun for them.  

Sometimes people can't put their finger on exactly why a game isn't fun, and so they just start tossing out whatever issues they can think of - like I don't know if hitboxes really make that big of a difference.  If a game is fun, its easy to overlook things like that.  But for whatever reason, some people just don't find APB fun at all.  Least, I didn't.

And maybe you're right, in that its not something that can be corrected.  Could just be some core element of the game design that rubs some of us the wrong way.  Or maybe a trend that runs throughout all the design decisions that the game incorporates.  I don't know.

I just know that if it were fun, I wouldn't have any reason to complain in the first place.  Nothing's perfect and all that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Something I've noticed, a lot of people who like APB have been saying this sort of thing.  The idea that all the complaints are insignificant, compared to the simple fact that the game is FUN.  Well, the thing is, people generally complain when they're not having fun.  I know, if you find a game fun, it can seem like complainers are just nitpicking, but they only do that, because its not fun for them.  

Sometimes people can't put their finger on exactly why a game isn't fun, and so they just start tossing out whatever issues they can think of - like I don't know if hitboxes really make that big of a difference.  If a game is fun, its easy to overlook things like that.  But for whatever reason, some people just don't find APB fun at all.  Least, I didn't.

And maybe you're right, in that its not something that can be corrected.  Could just be some core element of the game design that rubs some of us the wrong way.  Or maybe a trend that runs throughout all the design decisions that the game incorporates.  I don't know.

I just know that if it were fun, I wouldn't have any reason to complain in the first place.  Nothing's perfect and all that.

Well, by its very nature, a Shooter with a RPG lite progression, is going to be niche, or, not for everyone.

However i loved plantside, this game scratches this itch for me, other MMOFPS titles have not.

This has been the first game, in the MMO space, where i did not have to gind to the fun, i had fun and lolz from day one log in.

I enjoy games that run hot and cold though, many games in thees space are to congratulatory for zero reason. I have no sense of entitlement that i should win every encounter. Win or loose, i have TANGEABLE fun, not just only when I get my reward (AKA, win).

IF, this game hooks you, it hooks the shit out of you.

EDIT: Correction, Global agenda also was no grind to fun instiantly.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Garick

Being able to verbally smack talk someone after kickin their ass is fun. Even more so when they QQ over the mic lol..  Nothing I liked more than stunning and arresting crims to have them bitch and whine over mic about it.

Smack talking is all fine and good,but that cheap ass stunning crap needs to go..

totally kills the flow and the fun factor of the game,boggles the mind they'd put something like that in the game in the first place.

Everytime it happens to me I just log out while theyre trying to arrest me and then log back in lol.

Its a weak tactic and a blatant avoidance of one of the games main fun factors - combat.

Originally posted by tank017

Being able to verbally smack talk someone after kickin their ass is fun. Even more so when they QQ over the mic lol..  Nothing I liked more than stunning and arresting crims to have them bitch and whine over mic about it.

Smack talking is all fine and good,but that cheap ass stunning crap needs to go..

totally kills the flow and the fun factor of the game,boggles the mind they'd put something like that in the game in the first place.

Everytime it happens to me I just log out while theyre trying to arrest me and then log back in lol.

Its a weak tactic and a blatant avoidance of one of the games main fun factors - combat.

I do not agree with you one bit.

If you got stunned and arrested, you did somthing wrong. Its not easey to do at all.

And this IS a cops and robbers game.

----------

How are you?" -Me

I do not agree with you one bit.

If you got stunned and arrested, you did somthing wrong. Its not easey to do at all.

And this IS a cops and robbers game.

I did something wrong? getting hit twice is something wrong?

If I could slow the bullets matrix style I would,but I cant.

Happens to me and friends quite common enough,shot gun blast in a tight alleyway...hell ive even been stunned with a long range weapon.

So no,Im not buying the "hard to pull off" shpeal sorry

riginally posted by Garick

Yea, you didn't have the rank 3 stun resistance upgrade. Plus you prolly got shot with an NL9, if you had buddies around you'd prolly have not gotten arrested.

Buddies arent always going to be free to free you, alot of times they have thier own shit to deal with.Infact getting free'd by someone else is alot more rare than getting stunned/arrested.

Ill be sure to find that stun resist once it becomes available.

That is kinda the price you pay for playing on easy mode.

As crims you get paid for stealing cars, mugging people, ramming into stores for loot, running missions and killing cops.

Cops get punished for killing people, hurting npcs, taking cars. They get paid for  what? running missions and taking down crims.

Guess who's got the better deal? lolicake crims of course!

I see no suffering for cash flow on the enforcers side,so spare me your rant..

majority of the time I see more enforcers than crims,probably because of the cheap tactics they provide.

So get yourself a stun gun and try your luck. I've seen crims use it, stun a cop then shoot him in the head while he's down. So spare me your QQing.

Nope,wont stoop to that lvl thanks..

funny how you say Im QQing when your post just above has your tears drenched all over it.

I did something wrong? getting hit twice is something wrong?

If I could slow the bullets matrix style I would,but I cant.

Happens to me and friends quite common enough,shot gun blast in a tight alleyway...hell ive even been stunned with a long range weapon.

So no,Im not buying the "hard to pull off" shpeal sorry

There is only one stun weapon that takes two hits, and its max range is 5m. It holds two shots, and has a reload time the durition of the second comming of christ. If they miss one single hit, they are a dead copper.

The long ranges take 4 or more, and have tiny clips meaning they don't get a second try before needing to reload (they also can not be moded). at near nostril hair ranges. You would have been dead with any other gun.

So yeah, kinda, you did something wrong. It IS hard to pull off, and the entire time its being attempted, the enforcer is quite literally highly exposed.

As for what side is easy mode, that's a silly thing to even say, each have there own pros and cons, nether is easier than the other.

This is all a topic for another thread though, but I have played both sides. Yes, being stunned and arrested is hugely embarrassing, it makes people rage.But it is not, in any way shape or form easy to do. If someone is stunning you, and killing you when they could have arrested you, they are fools as they are taking a substantial penalty.

EDIT: Yes indeed the advancement of criminals is shorter, and the ability to make money is faster. Make sence, working for the city pays crap and they never promote the good ones :) However criminals are the side that gets near constiant action.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Got 4gigs of RAM, now the game is playable. Yeah!

I suck so hard. Boo!   LOL

I've been arrested like 3, 4 times in 4 hours of action district time. And I lost count of the deaths. I got 1, yes 1 kill today and rejoiced. I know you'll all say to group with others, it makes it easier, but who would want my suckage?

Anyway, it's still fun, and I will hopefully get better with practice. Not getting too upset with being taken down at the moment, except when I do something that I KNOW is stupid. If I start getting frustratred, I just log out for awhile.

Don't really see this as an MMO tho, I gotta say. Not to start an argument here but.....maybe a hybrid shooter / MMO-lite at best.

• TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

I am actually having fun in this game, even though I suck hard at it. Keeping the little x-hairs on others can be a pain in the arse as they swing/duck/jump around you. Even though I loved and was decent at unreal and other fps, this one is better so far for me.

I have played both sides and I can say I just plain suck at pvp so far , I mean I make kills no problem but it is a 5kill I will get 3-4 of the 5, while my oppenant(s) will dirt nap me 5 times...its fun as hell though =) I love chatting with the people who are waxing me...

last night I spent almost 10 minutes 1 on 1 with an enforcer as we ducked in and out and around the environment trying to defend/take while pinning each other down or killing me...she ended up winning but damn was it a blast.

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It's hard to explain, but I agree with almost everyone here.  Both those who love the game and those who don't get it.  You're all right for different reasons.  My review is going up later this week, so keep your eyes peeled.  What I can say so far is that APB is a very fun but flawed experience, and one that I hope will only get better with time.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.