Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

did wow died?

i just noticed that all the mmo websites i read all the news about mmo's are not telling any updates about this game.

i am not hating on this game but i think wow is dying slowly,  just check the "todays popular games" of mmorpg.com and wow isnt getting that much hits, it used to be no. 1 for months before, me myself is a wow player and played for 3 years and i must say this game is awesome , but after patch 3.3.2 i got bored of it for some reasons, tired of being 80 and always thinking about pvp strategies...

and i wont play till cataclysm comes out....

noobs are humans too

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

It's not dying in population since it keeps going very strong, but its dead in a creative sense, thats for sure.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

WoW has never done well on these forums.. success does not go down well on this forum.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by expresso

WoW has never done well on these forums.. success does not go down well on this forum.

That's actually not true.  WoW as at the top of the most discussed list for years.  Only within the last year or so has it dropped off.

Actually I take that back, it's still at #5 for the last 6 months and #3 for the last year, so it's only bee in the last 1-5 months or so that it's dropped off.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

It's still alive very much so. Started out good but it's repetative and boring now. But try to play anything else once playing WoW and anything else sucks. So, you've screwed yoruself and stuck with WoW. Like I did.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Oh glad this isnt a doom thread again fact is wow will be here for probably another decade or more Dark Age of Camelot has been on lifesupport but still survives to this day.

Alot of good points in this thread.  I play wow amongst other games and I truly do believe one of the posters when he states creativity is dead and it does seem to be so.  Each expansion rehashes the same silly gear grind to keep people playing the ever hungry loot crowd I guess do not help the situation.

As the guy up said try playing anything else though and it just doesnt seem to work.  I personally don't raid anymore though I used to do it quite hardcore, I just do not see the point...grinding npcs over and over for hours to hope to lick some loot is NOT fun the only thing that can be deemed fun is doing it with people.  Even the weak minded have succumbed to its witch enchanting ways and emo shout at people hoard loot for themselves then quit for the next best opportunity (my last experience in a raid guild of a guild leader).  My personal opinion is that PvP is far more entertaining with a group or without.

However reading between the lines there is some fun elements coming theres auto quest tech which will allow you to carry on with a quest chain where you are and not have to return to the NPC.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by emperorwings

It's still alive very much so. Started out good but it's repetative and boring now. But try to play anything else once playing WoW and anything else sucks. So, you've screwed yoruself and stuck with WoW. Like I did.

Ya, That's in a nut shell for me  to !

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

MMOs are notoriously hard to kill off. That's why we have so many "crap" ones nowadays; even those that are bad stay afloat, at least for a couple of years. There are a few exceptions of course, like Tabula Rasa.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by harbi12345

i just noticed that all the mmo websites i read all the news about mmo's are not telling any updates about this game.

i am not hating on this game but i think wow is dying slowly,  just check the "todays popular games" of mmorpg.com and wow isnt getting that much hits, it used to be no. 1 for months before, me myself is a wow player and played for 3 years and i must say this game is awesome , but after patch 3.3.2 i got bored of it for some reasons, tired of being 80 and always thinking about pvp strategies...

Erm. 3.3.5 was released recently with a new dungeon I believe.  However, Blizzard are being careful to release Cataclysm details very slowly, and are slowing down the release of patches until cataclysm.  So with those two in mind, it's no wonder that websites have little to talk about with regards to WoW.

As far as the players are concerned, this nothing that other MMO's don't/haven't suffered:  the pre-expansion lull

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Wow always has a bajillion xfire live video streams going, like 60000% more then any other game.  ITs always been number one there in hours played also.  I still play wow, not regularly though. One thing wow has is a beatifull player verses enemy envirement, that players will always be able to remember and enjoy the good things about it.  If some one wants to go back into the fantasy world, its there for them.  No one can take that from wow.  Thats the main game of wow, and what makes it a great mmo, its not because of the guilds that raid gear and dont comunicate with the general wow public. 

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Tarka

Originally posted by harbi12345

Erm. 3.3.5 was released recently with a new dungeon I believe.  However, Blizzard are being careful to release Cataclysm details very slowly, and are slowing down the release of patches until cataclysm.  So with those two in mind, it's no wonder that websites have little to talk about with regards to WoW.

As far as the players are concerned, this nothing that other MMO's don't/haven't suffered:  the pre-expansion lull

I have to emphasize that point as its exactly whats going on.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Sure Cataclysm brings a few thousand new quests and completely revamped zones, not to mention guild leveling and overhauled stat-mechanics, but it's just like any other expansion. It brings nothing new to the table. Right?

Eleanor Rigby.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by tryklon

It's not dying in population since it keeps going very strong, but its dead in a creative sense, thats for sure.

It's been creatively dead since launch. They haven't introduced any innovations to the industry, and they've just followed the EverQuest formula to a T. I'm shocked it lasted this long, considering how repetative the game is. 

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

This

MMORPG.com is one of the worst websites to come to if your looking for any solid information on a MMO. Most folks just come here to stir up shit unfortionately. I must admit its entertaining lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Ethian

This

MMORPG.com is one of the worst websites to come to if your looking for any solid information on a MMO. Most folks just come here to stir up shit unfortionately. I must admit its entertaining lol

Well some of the editorials are okay, (SOME AREN'T) but the forums are forums. The MMO community is like that.

MMORPG.com does have cool lists tho' and most of the links to things are easy to find.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Based on the genius use of words and language the OP used, I can conclude that his "thinking about pvp strategies" consisted of should I face roll or run?  Is not talking like a moron so hard?  Me myself thinks not.

Sorry for my rant.

I've been here a while...
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Did Connor MacLeod die?
    Something died in me when I saw the thread title's spelling.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Garvon3

It's been creatively dead since launch. They haven't introduced any innovations to the industry, and they've just followed the EverQuest formula to a T. I'm shocked it lasted this long, considering how repetative the game is. 

You have a product that has 11 million subscribers.  Your nearest competitor in NA and EU is less than 1 million subscribers.   Yes, now is EXACTLY the time to completely change your product.

Why in the world would WOW change it's basic gameplay when it is by far the most successful MMORPG on the market?  Don't mess with success.

They haven't introduced anything innovative?  how many games allow full flying?  How many have phased question?  How many have as intricate boss fights as WOW.   The detail of dungeon and raid fights, and the extreme balance around them is amazing when compared to other games.  Games like AOC still have bosses that do nothing but normal melee damage.  They increase the 'difficulty' of the encounter by giving it more hps or increasing it's dps.  Nothing compares to boss fights in WOW

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Don't dare to use common sense and logic here, Azrile. It hurts some people apparently.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

I can't play WoW anymore, its still a good game, but its far to easy to really invest time in and feel any real effort to reward ratio. I just hope this expansion cranks up the difficulty. Kinda like how vanilla WoW was. It wont go down or die until some developer finally understands that to beat WoW, cloning it wont do it. You gota break that mold to give people something different to play.

Would you rather play a new release with different lore / graphics but same core game mechanics. Or WoW with those same mechanics, same graphics and same lore, but with 5 years of quality development time ontop of its pre release development time. As the proof shows with the decline of many WoW clones, if not all (I cannot really name an MMO that copied it closely thats sustaining its population.)

It does confuse me how many WoW clones fail to understand the true reason for World of Warcrafts success. Good controls and user interface, fluid movement, animations that suit the graphics to a tee, and a world with very very few load lines. Infact zone lines consist of changing continents, outland, instances and battlegrounds. Its story is also fantastic, its also has a low demand on the PC.

WoW wont die for a long time, it takes someone to smash the mold, and make something different, or to really understand WoW's success, and take those concepts.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

As pointed in this thread, a lot of people are just waiting around for the expansion. There is a dip in the population but it will pick up once the expansion hits.

They did release a new raid boss but it was killed within 24 hours. I don't think that is going to hold people over until the expansion.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by emperorwings

I played wow off and on over 2 and a half  years for a total of 14 months subbed to it. I kept comming back only because friends played and wouldn't quit it to play some of the other games I enjoyed more.. But WoW didn't ruin anything for me, to be honest I'm having more fun testing Dawntide than that whole time I played WoW.  While WoW may be polished that is the only thing it has going for it IMO.  Lack of polish in games is something I can look over as long as  nothing gamebreaking happens. 

Most likely the game will improve and be more polished.

No wow isn't dead and it won't die anytime soon unless they just run out of new people wanting to play the game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by Garvon3

You have a product that has 11 million subscribers.  Your nearest competitor in NA and EU is less than 1 million subscribers.   Yes, now is EXACTLY the time to completely change your product.

Why in the world would WOW change it's basic gameplay when it is by far the most successful MMORPG on the market?  Don't mess with success.

Because, by following the EverQuest formula formula so closely they eventually run into a brick wall just like EQ did. Remeber EQ used to be the most popular MMO too. 

They haven't introduced anything innovative?  No they haven't. how many games allow full flying? Several. From DAoC in 2002 to Vanguard in 2006. How many have phased question?  LotRO, despite what WoW fanboys claimed, was the first game to have phasing, but its not even a big deal anyway. Phasing is just slightly different instancing. How many have as intricate boss fights as WOW. EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, Final Fantasy basically any game that modelled PvE after EQ have scripted boss fights.   The detail of dungeon and raid fights, and the extreme balance around them is amazing when compared to other games. You must not have played any older games then. And I have yet to see any dungeons more detailed than Vanguard or EverQuest dungeons, they really put WoW dungeons to shame.  Games like AOC still have bosses that do nothing but normal melee damage. Thats because AoC is a bad MMO.   They increase the 'difficulty' of the encounter by giving it more hps or increasing it's dps.  Nothing compares to boss fights in WOW

See?