Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why a former WOW player should play AION ?

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

What does this game has that WOW doesnt ? 

More Grind ? YES,

Less content ? YES.  

So why a bored WOW player buy AION ?

Comments

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Originally posted by Aguitha

What does this game has that WOW doesnt ? 

More Grind ? YES,

Less content ? YES.  

So why a bored WOW player buy AION ?

Because it's different.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

It may have less content, but it takes longer to get the gear, and the pvp is more of a battle than just premades beating the hell out of everyone. You feel more accomplished when you get gear in Aion, it takes a lot more work than grinding the dungeon finder.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Well, assuming you are bored with WOW style mechanics, such as level/class based designed and character progression through a combination of questing, grinding and repetitive running of dungeon instances for gear upgrades, then I'd say not much.

But if you enjoy all of the things I mentioned and would like to add in some arial combat mechancis and some massive keep battles at end game, maybe Aion has something of interest to you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

As a WoW player who has recently switched to Aion, I can tell you:

- Character customization is light-years ahead of WoW's

- The game is more of a challenge, gear is not handed out all over the place

- The environments/zones are much nicer than WoW (more opinion related but most agree)

- The game has a PvP focus where as WoW has PvP as a side thing.

- The art and weapon/armor style is much nicer than WoW, characters actually look good at low levels!

- The wings along with flying add a unique experience to travel and combat.

Overall, Aion is a much nicer looking game which has a lot of polish and is more challenging than WoW. I'd say if you are more of a PvP player, play Aion, if you prefer PvE as end game, stick with WoW. Lastly, Aion (imo) has a much more pleasant leveling experience; I have so far only bumped into helpful people (not as many little kids like WoW has)

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

For some reason you guys allways go fo the inferior PvE gear because it has "bigger numbers" and you give good AP when I kill you.

Not sure what you are trying to get at...?

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Why?

Well Aion looks and feels a little like WoW so everything deosn't seem completely different (e.g. UI, quest system, bright color tones).  That said it seems Aion took a lot MMO elements and tweeked them a little in order to make them seem fresh.  The combat system is a little more involved, the world seems a bit richer (birds flying by, enviromental sound effects, footsteps sounds different depending on what you're walking on) and for most of your leveling you will have multiple things to do at any given time.

I think overall Aion takes more skill, luck and patience to be successful than WoW.  I'm referring to combat, crafting and PvP respectively.  This is my opinion of course but after about two years of WoW before playing Aion I don't think I could go back.  One thing to mention is that WoW still is the king of endgame PvE content.  My hope is that NC has this on their short list and will implement more high level instances.

It took me seven months to get my cousin, who I played WoW with, to finally try the game since he was getting bored.  He absolutly loves it and also said he couldn't go back to WoW.

For those interested see if you can get a trial and try it for yourself.  You might like it, you might not.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• RudeaspRudeasp wysiwygMember Posts: 49

The best reason I can think of is if you've been playing WoW for over 4 years, and sick of it like me. Aion is without a doubt the second best MMO out now. In every category even the ones I can't think of they are the best. PvPvE, graphics, combat, and second best sub base.

You mentioned content well how much content did WoW have in BC that's what you should be comparing it too, and think about what content are you missing... fishing? As far as grind goes the mobs give better XP so it is smarter to grind them rather then piddle around with quests.

In WoW, and Aion the quests are go kill X amount of this then come back blah blah. Personally I'm so tired of that. In Aion the quests give a great storyline, beautiful cut scenes, and bonuses like Titles that actually mean something in bonus stats, and special quest mechanics. The trick with Aion questing is it's not totally linear which means not every quest leads you to the next quest giver. Sometimes you actually have to explore the world to find quest givers. Just killing mobs in WoW brings in good money at AH, but it takes 4x longer to level. If you're a player who doesn't play as much Aion has two buffs including rested that adds up over two days which could give a bonus of %70 xp.

In the long run Aion will have more to offer, so jump on now, or when 2.0 vision comes out, because you're going to want to be one of the firsts trying new the new content when it comes.

Mhmmm

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

As fellow ex-WoW player and former Aion player, shortly put, no, just no. Aion has a few quirks that make it stand out and is more PvP orientated, if you like that, but as a PvE game it simply fails when compared to WoW.

The lack of well designed raid and instance encounters is a minus, as is somehow the more apparent(didn't think this was possible) grind when compared to WoW.

There is no real reason for a WoW 'veteran' to bite into Aion's sour Asian fruit.

Originally posted by Hrothmund

As fellow ex-WoW player and former Aion player, shortly put, no, just no. Aion has a few quirks that make it stand out and is more PvP orientated, if you like that, but as a PvE game it simply fails when compared to WoW.

The lack of well designed raid and instance encounters is a minus, as is somehow the more apparent(didn't think this was possible) grind when compared to WoW.

There is no real reason for a WoW 'veteran' to bite into Aion's sour Asian fruit.

Unless you are looking for a better graphical, more pvp oriented, more mature player base, more of a challenge, and a bright future in an MMO because WoW lacks in about all of those. WoW will still last a long time but in terms of its future, the game's major hype is most certainly on the decline and has peaked. Aion, however, is still quite hyped around the 2.0 "Aion Vision"

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Feudalism

Unless you are looking for a better graphical, more pvp oriented, more mature player base, more of a challenge, and a bright future in an MMO because WoW lacks in about all of those. WoW will still last a long time but in terms of its future, the game's major hype is most certainly on the decline and has peaked. Aion, however, is still quite hyped around the 2.0 "Aion Vision"

'Better graphical' is a matter of opinion. I do not prefer male models and manga girls with wings over the WoW art style.  Having typed that, I detest the WoW art style. Why can't we have an MMO that looks like Gears of War or Crysis? ;)

A more mature player base? Give me a break. The reason why WoW has the massive amount of preteen rascals running around making your life miserable is that it is massively popular. I saw the same people in Aion at launch, but as their free month ran out they migrated back to where their energy drink guzzling friends are, playing WoW. My WoW guild had and still probably has one of the most mature, loyal and collected online communities I have ever seen. Where as my Aion guild was full of point/gear hungry and selfish brats. This I guess is a matter of perspective and luck, depends on the people you end up playing with, if you don't play exclusively with real life friends.

WoW is not the holy grail, infact I just recently quit playing because the in-game experience was just plain dull and boring to me.

I think Aion's greatest pitfall is that it is in its heart "Lineage 2.5, now with wings!". No matter how hard you scrub, the 'Korean grinder' smell just won't wash off. I played for three months after launch and before that spent around half a year in the beta. I was expecting more from the game, but it never delivered. Maybe I played too actively in beta, causing me to burn out three months after the launch, I don't know.

I thin you are a bit biased here. Cataclysm will definitely outsell "Aion Vision". In fact, it looks to me Aion is dying, at least in the western market in terms of active players.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Yes, global chat is just as bad as WoW though most of the people you actually group with and run in to are different.

Going into anything with negative preconceived notions is a bad thing and before people even began playing Aion it was labled as an "asian grinder".  Even before 1.9, which increased quest xp and added another xp bonus for playing but not killing, it didn't seen like a grind...unless you tried to play it like WoW and solo quest to the top.  I know it's a Korean game but other than that one cut scene you can't even tell it's made in another country.

An MMO is not just about end game.  Yes it's the eventual goal but Aion actually makes the leveling process rewarding.  Let's not forget WoW has been out a bit longer than Aion and in comparision NC is doing a damn good job.  Unfortunatly they had to spend a lot of time dealing with bots and gold spammers or Aion would be even farther along.

Server merge is a gasp word in the world of MMOs, that much is true.  In this case it's not such a bad thing since a big part of Aion is Abyss PvP along with fort Seiges.  This take real people to be involved and in large amounts.  Yes, Aion's subscriptions are not what they were in the first few months but they have been growing.  The mergers are nessesary for Aion at the moment but that does nto mean the game is dying.  Let's see in two months shall we?

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I played WOW a long time and I can honestly say that I found very little to be challenging.  Since I quit over 2 years ago they have only made the game even easier over the years and Cataclysm is making things even easier like offering the same gear in 10 man raids as 25 man.  Pretty soon you will get epics in WOW for just logging in.  I understand the appeal to casual people in WOW but I want something more challenging. 

'Better graphical' is a matter of opinion. I do not prefer male models and manga girls with wings over the WoW art style.  Having typed that, I detest the WoW art style. Why can't we have an MMO that looks like Gears of War or Crysis? ;)

A more mature player base? Give me a break. The reason why WoW has the massive amount of preteen rascals running around making your life miserable is that it is massively popular. I saw the same people in Aion at launch, but as their free month ran out they migrated back to where their energy drink guzzling friends are, playing WoW. My WoW guild had and still probably has one of the most mature, loyal and collected online communities I have ever seen. Where as my Aion guild was full of point/gear hungry and selfish brats. This I guess is a matter of perspective and luck, depends on the people you end up playing with, if you don't play exclusively with real life friends.

WoW is not the holy grail, infact I just recently quit playing because the in-game experience was just plain dull and boring to me.

I think Aion's greatest pitfall is that it is in its heart "Lineage 2.5, now with wings!". No matter how hard you scrub, the 'Korean grinder' smell just won't wash off. I played for three months after launch and before that spent around half a year in the beta. I was expecting more from the game, but it never delivered. Maybe I played too actively in beta, causing me to burn out three months after the launch, I don't know.

I thin you are a bit biased here. Cataclysm will definitely outsell "Aion Vision". In fact, it looks to me Aion is dying, at least in the western market in terms of active players.

Saying that Aion is a better graphical game is not an opinion, it's plain as day fact. You are mistaking art style and pure graphics. WoW looks like something from the 90's.  You say you don't prefer manga type models, well that's just the STYLE but the graphics in the game are higher and extremely more detailed than WoW, that's just the fact of the matter, look at two screenshots of the games side by side.

Now what is opinion is you claiming that Aion has a crappy community; my experience has been the complete opposite - loyal, helpful people in Aion, craptards in WoW. It's just the luck of the draw; the server you play on, guild etc. Yes I have to agree that WoW is DULL as hell now and probably will always be to us who've played since launch, I doubt Cata will even keep me in the long run, I'll probably at least check it out.

Finally, you're mistaking what I said - I never said Aion will outsell WoW Cata, I simply said I believe that Aion has a brighter future ahead of it since it's still less than a year old in NA where as WoW is going to be 6. I understand Cata is around the corner but we all know it's the same old drivel in a new box where as Aion Vision (hopefully) seems to be adding completely new things to the game.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

As a WoW player who has recently switched to Aion, I can tell you:

- Character customization is light-years ahead of WoW's

- The game is more of a challenge, gear is not handed out all over the place

- The environments/zones are much nicer than WoW (more opinion related but most agree)

- The game has a PvP focus where as WoW has PvP as a side thing.

- The art and weapon/armor style is much nicer than WoW, characters actually look good at low levels!

- The wings along with flying add a unique experience to travel and combat.

Overall, Aion is a much nicer looking game which has a lot of polish and is more challenging than WoW. I'd say if you are more of a PvP player, play Aion, if you prefer PvE as end game, stick with WoW. Lastly, Aion (imo) has a much more pleasant leveling experience; I have so far only bumped into helpful people (not as many little kids like WoW has)

I've got to say that, as someone who was playing WoW and wanted to switch to AION at launch and watched a ridiculously failed launch and months of poor support, I am honestly glad that there are some people who enjoy the game. I follow the game despite not playing it and have to say that the game seems to be more of a niche thing, aimed at a very particular playerbase and that it suffered from being falsely advertised (cf. the movie 'Pan's Labyrinth'). The hype around the game as well as the information leading up to it made an incredible amount of people think that, and not without good reason, that the game would be similar enough to WoW to be familiar and people wanted WoW done better. Thus, AION.

If NCSoft can get their act together with supporting this game then AION can be one of the bigger niche games out there because it really does have a lot to offer. It all comes down to support in my mind and not pulling a Fable (not appreciably delivering what you said you would and releasing the game this way or before these things could be implemented), but I am honestly glad that there are people out there who can really enjoy it.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Saying that Aion is a better graphical game is not an opinion, it's plain as day fact. You are mistaking art style and pure graphics. WoW looks like something from the 90's.  You say you don't prefer manga type models, well that's just the STYLE but the graphics in the game are higher and extremely more detailed than WoW, that's just the fact of the matter, look at two screenshots of the games side by side.

Now what is opinion is you claiming that Aion has a crappy community; my experience has been the complete opposite - loyal, helpful people in Aion, craptards in WoW. It's just the luck of the draw; the server you play on, guild etc. Yes I have to agree that WoW is DULL as hell now and probably will always be to us who've played since launch, I doubt Cata will even keep me in the long run, I'll probably at least check it out.

Finally, you're mistaking what I said - I never said Aion will outsell WoW Cata, I simply said I believe that Aion has a brighter future ahead of it since it's still less than a year old in NA where as WoW is going to be 6. I understand Cata is around the corner but we all know it's the same old drivel in a new box where as Aion Vision (hopefully) seems to be adding completely new things to the game.

In respect to your third point, the person you are responding to likely meant the condensing of the servers into 4 in America. With a game not even being a year old and, to avoid undue comparisons to Warhammer Online, not having enough servers at launch to appreciably support the community that wanted to be there we can look back and see that this comment has merit. At launch AION did not have enough NA or EU servers and if I recall correctly they added two each and that was it. The American servers are now going to be less than half of what they had at launch and this is something that is pretty telling: all of those people didn't simply jump ship for no reason. Like I said in an earlier post, if NCSoft can get their support right AION can be a great niche game in it for the long haul.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.