Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are all the interesting sandbox MMO's.....

Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Open PvP, full loot. This really makes some sense(from a PvP players/gank fest perspective). But from a PvE players(My) perspective. I would rather be tar and feathered before giving a single cent to a game with a system like this. Why you say? Well There are several reasons actually. 

I played Star Wars Galaxies at launch up until they put in the village and the old man. I had my Smuggler/Pistoleer/Teras Kasi and i loved it. My wife played her tradeskillers and built us a ton of stuff, houses, havesters, furniture you name it. I then made a tradeskiller as well. I started making armor and made a LOT of in game credits with it. Checking the factories and setting up new schematics for them to use and checking the harvesters was a daily event. Like chores on a pig farm, they had to be done. There was PvP but only if you consented to it by either attacking an NPC of the opposite faction or flagging yourself at your faction recruiter. It was a great system. /Hangshead SWG you will/have been missed.

Like in SWG there was PvP if you wanted it, but if you wanted to be left alone it was forced upon your opponent to be. They really had no choice unless you flagged. Now I never taunted or harrassed players behind a flag of truce mind you. If I wanted to talk smack I would flag and do it on the battlefield. Those were fun times as well. Anchorhead be damned. I never had to worry about my in-game items that I worked so hard to craft and put into the enemies hands via my merchant were going to be used to kill me and take what I had on my person. There were rules, just like in RL. they werent meant for an anarchist who was having a bad day to come along and rid you of your work(by PK'ing you and looting you). If I wanted that kind of reality I would move to Afghanistan.

There is also the perspective that the PK friendly open PVP/Full loot just caters to the minority of MMO gamers. I do not have statistics, but wouldnt it at least be prudent to have these games i.e. Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xsyon to have a server with a ruleset like SWG in effect to draw in more carebearish(Yea I admitted to it) players like myself. I would Imagine with their games their profits would raise at least a little with allowing PvE players to enjoy them as well.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I've been a little frustrated with trying to find a good sandbox MMO that I can apply my leisure time to. Thanks for reading my drivel.

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I agree with you.  When I played SWG I was overt on my toon probably 80% of the time, no matter where I went I would be overt.

But sometimes, I just felt like being left alone. 

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I don't know why.

Have you tried Fallen Earth. I don't necessarily call it a sandbox, but sandboxy?

It very much has theme park and sandboxy elements. You can choose to PvP or not, there are PvP areas, but you can definitely progress without them. Not full loot. Skill/level based, really skill point based and you get spendable points when you level and for other acts. The crafting system is quite involved, not like SWG, but better than most games out.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Well go play Ryzom, or Aerrevan those are carebear games.

The full loot pvp is for a different type of player base and i dont see why carebear's need Every game on the market to fit there whiny little need's.

Dont like getting killed get better at pvp and Defend yourself, Dont like PvP find a game that doesnt have it of has safe modes there plenty of them.

Why give me one good reason WHY the FEw and by few i can only count 3 or 4 games made for the PvPers or people who like the excitement of all or nothing. We have Darkfall, Xsyon, Earthrise, Mortal online. Thats it!!! You carebear whiners have Wurm, Aerrevan, Tale in the desert, Fallen earth, Ryzom, and Swg i could keep going and going and going and going. but those are all sandboxy will options of PvP safemode by Default.

So here's my question to you OP Why should our few games we do have change for you? So we have nothing and you have every game but still will find something to continue to bitch about.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Ikisis

Well go play Ryzom, or Aerrevan those are carebear games.

The full loot pvp is for a different type of player base and i dont see why carebear's need Every game on the market to fit there whiny little need's.

Dont like getting killed get better at pvp and Defend yourself, Dont like PvP find a game that doesnt have it of has safe modes there plenty of them.

Why give me one good reason WHY the FEw and by few i can only count 3 or 4 games made for the PvPers or people who like the excitement of all or nothing. We have Darkfall, Xsyon, Earthrise, Mortal online. Thats it!!! You carebear whiners have Wurm, Aerrevan, Tale in the desert, Fallen earth, Ryzom, and Swg i could keep going and going and going and going. but those are all sandboxy will options of PvP safemode by Default.

So here's my question to you OP Why should our few games we do have change for you? So we have nothing and you have every game but still will find something to continue to bitch about.

Um, this is my 3rd post ever on these forums since I made the account in 2004, I would hardly consider that continuosly bitching about anything. I check these forums at least once every week, sometimes more. I never said I wasn't good at PvP, I just said I like the option to turn off douchebag mode when I want to.

Why is it so hard for people to stop taking constructive critism as a personal attack on their preferred game type. My post was mainly geared towards asking why cannot these games make special ruleset servers. Thats it. You want your frag on, go get it. I am not asking you to stop or even implying it. I just think these games would have more than 10k subscribers very easily if they would stop limiting themselves. They are good games, but Open PvP/Full loot is not something alot of players are willing to risk.

Call me what you will. Just please do it with an open mind.

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

I'm a PvE player as well.  The reason I like open PvP and dropping items on death is because what you do is more risky and exciting.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

I'll second the earlier recommendation for Fallen Earth.  Not a sandbox, but a very sandboxy theme park I guess.  Not gonna use smoke and mirrors and tell you it's the greatest MMO I've ever played, but of the ones I've tried in the last half year or so, it's the only one I've enjoyed for more than an hour or two at a time..  In fact, last weekend I put in like 24 hours over the course of 3 days.. Haven't had a game suck me in like that in YEARS.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford