Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the most popular online game?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I'm no expert but what is the most popular game that can be played online? I'm thinking it's a toss up between World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare 2, but I could be wrong. =o

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

If you are simply picking just any game in an online setting, I would say Farmville. If you are talking about an MMO with using subscribers and not just accounts made, then I would say WoW.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Nothing comes even close to WOW.

Have you been living in a cave the last decade?

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Originally posted by Xerith

If you are simply picking just any game in an online setting, I would say Farmville. If you are talking about an MMO with using subscribers and not just accounts made, then I would say WoW.

I'm not really on about those browser games, I'm on about retail games played online, true that WoW is the biggest in number and I guess Modern Warfare 2 is the most popular for console players. So WoW is the most popular game played online which I guess beats Counterstrike.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

There are many factors to consider.

Are you talking hours played by everyone in a month? Number of different people to play at least once in a month? Console and PC combined or just PC?  World Wide or just US?

If you are talking PC only and World Wide, then I would say it's definetly Warcraft.

If you are saying both PC and Console and only US. Then probably currently MW2. PC and Console and World Wide I'm not sure, I don't know how big MW2 is outside of the states. Surprisingly enough Counter Strike is still to this day one of the most played games in any given month in the world, it isn't top but it shows up with time playes each month in the top 5 on many lists that track that sort of thing. Outside of MW2 when you look at the top 5-10 games played each month, there usually is at most 1 other, if any, games released within the past year. Probably says something about the quality of games made now a days.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Somebodies been living  in a cave. As said, Famville or one of the other browser games would be a good bet.  Every non gamer I know with internet access is playing or has played one browser game or another. Sorry, WOW isnt close to these games.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I'm no expert but what is the most popular game that can be played online? I'm thinking it's a toss up between World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare 2, but I could be wrong. =o

The problem with your question is it's broadness online pretty much has to include games like Farmville,Mafiawars,Evony browser based games, then MW2 doesn't have a sub fee does it?  so that would include any game with an online multiplayer mode and then WOW as a premium subscription based game.

WOW by far if you are talking about subscrpition based games no one is close to it and it actually rivals the popularity of some of the browser games I'm sure.  I don't play browser games or many multiplayer online games so I'm not sure though I hear Farmville and COD don't do too bad there.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Philby

Somebodies been living  in a cave. As said, Famville or one of the other browser games would be a good bet.  Every non gamer I know with internet access is playing or has played one browser game or another. Sorry, WOW isnt close to these games.

Real games dude. Nobody in this forum gives a crap about farmville.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Edli

Originally posted by Philby

Real games dude. Nobody in this forum gives a crap about farmville.

Well dude the quesion was most popular online game not most popular MMO. Sorry if WOW isnt everything to everyone but life does suck sometimes.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

xfire can give a rough indication.  Eventhough if the results is accurate or not is questionable.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by Blazer6992

Nothing comes even close to WOW.

Have you been living in a cave the last decade?

you must be sheltered, WoW is not that big.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

You might as well just say Activision. They own the market as of now....

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by pepsi1028

You might as well just say Activision. They own the market as of now....

Oh, they bought Zynga?

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

touche

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

I doubt farmville have that many active players. 

They just count every registered account as active players, eventhough most of them only played a few minutes. 

Kind of like what maplestory, perfect world, or all those f2p games are doing.

You know they have players in the millions but obviously not 100 million.  I mean just look at their profit.  In comparison, their profit is very small, too small with that many so called active players.

Just for reference maplestory advertised them with 100 million active players, and perfect world said they have 50 millions, and tones other f2p crappy MMO advertised themself with outrageous numbers too.

Originally posted by laokoko

They just count every registered account as active players, eventhough most of them only played a few minutes. 

You know they have players in the millions but obviously not 100 million.  I mean just look at their profit.  In comparison, their profit is very small, too small with that many so called active players.

Just for reference maplestory advertised them with 100 million active players, and perfect world said they have 50 millions, and tones other f2p crappy MMO advertised themself with outrageous numbers too.

Here's the thing, even if only 10% of the players are active, it still almost beats out WoW.  Farmville claims 100 million accounts.  Shit, if even 5% are active, that still makes it the second most popular game.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

WoW

Here's a chart

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by laokoko

Here's the thing, even if only 10% of the players are active, it still almost beats out WoW.  Farmville claims 100 million accounts.  Shit, if even 5% are active, that still makes it the second most popular game.

Oh, I would bet a lot of cash that Farmville has quite a few more active players than WoW, maybe even twice as many. That must sting a bit for the "Numbers of players = How good the game is"  crowd. Never really understood that argument anyway.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

And this...

• World of Warcraft – 10,000,000

• Runescape – 1,250,000

• Lineage – 1,000,000

• Lineage II – 1,000,000

• Final Fantasy XI – 500,000

• Dofus – 500,000

• Eve Online – 300,000

• Lord of the Rings Online – 300,000 (estimate)

• Warhammer Online – 300,000 (estimate)

• Age of Conan – 100,000 (estimate)

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

according to this list Mario Kart Wii (22.6mil sold) leads WoW by 11mil copies sold...

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by japo

And this...

• Runescape – 1,250,000

• Lineage – 1,000,000

• Lineage II – 1,000,000

• Dofus – 500,000

• Eve Online – 300,000

Well that list is fine. However that list does not address the question the OP asked does it? "What is the most popular online game?" The answer to that could be Poker Online for all I know, but I bet it's Farmville.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Farmville is not a real game. Citing Farmville here is like if someone asks you what the best novel of all time is and you say Superman Comic Issue #1.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by ViewDoo

Originally posted by japo

And this...

• Runescape – 1,250,000

• Lineage – 1,000,000

• Lineage II – 1,000,000

• Dofus – 500,000

• Eve Online – 300,000

Well that list is fine. However that list does not address the question the OP asked does it? "What is the most popular online game?" The answer to that could be Poker Online for all I know, but I bet it's Farmville.

Nah, even at peak time with the 3-4 biggest online poker sites it is only like 250k people online (unlike most other games they all tend to say exactly how many people are logged into their service when you open it up). It drops down significantly from that mark during weekdays.

Originally posted by CayneJobb

Farmville is not a real game. Citing Farmville here is like if someone asks you what the best novel of all time is and you say Superman Comic Issue #1.

It's as much of a game as Harvest Moon, only without the ability to artificially advance time.  Just because it's not your kind of game, doesn't make it not a game.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Sadly it is probably Farmville, unless China happens to be hiding something bigger behind it's borders.

It's probably farmville.  My guess is it have between 3-20 million players.  Unless we heard anything official, it's hard to know the real numbers.

According to forbes, farmville only made 50million last year.  But the game really only start to take off this year.  We'll have to wait and see from their profit and make an intelligent guess.  Since they most likely won't show us their real numbers.