Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

24h hour maintenence?

greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Damn it.  I haven't played wow in soooo long and decided to do a 10 day trial thing just for some nostalgia.  I finally get all patched up just to see an empty realms list then find out they're having extended maint. to get ready for cataclysm.  Anyone know what's going on? Beta maybe?  What sucks is tomorrow by the time they're back up the spell will probably have lifted and I won't be interested anymore.  Bla...

Comments

• blooblobblooblob Member Posts: 134

Literally the exact same thing happened to me today!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by greymann

Damn it.  I haven't played wow in soooo long and decided to do a 10 day trial thing just for some nostalgia.  I finally get all patched up just to see an empty realms list then find out they're having extended maint. to get ready for cataclysm.  Anyone know what's going on? Beta maybe?  What sucks is tomorrow by the time they're back up the spell will probably have lifted and I won't be interested anymore.  Bla...

you can take unlimited trials and if you are saying that you might lose interest in thegame just because you can't enter it 1 day, then that game might just not be for you.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by greymann

you can take unlimited trials and if you are saying that you might lose interest in thegame just because you can't enter it 1 day, then that game might just not be for you.

Oh I'd say it was the game for me for long enough before it turned into a daily chore... but it's still blizzard--no one does it quite like them--and when you've spent a long time away from the game you get nostalgic for some sights and sounds.  I level to 7 with a different class or whatever and get bored again.  Sorry if you can't handle some people having free fun with your golden idol.  I think I'll name my new FREE character Muke or Mukey or StupidMukey just for you.  Unlike you I just don't see the need to swear allegience and dedicate my life and blood to a game to feel like a man.

Looks like Torchlight scratched my itch.  It was done by some blizzard guys and is a nice diablo fix. Quite fun.  And I don't have to run into tools like the one above.

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

24 hours to prep some servers for the expansion.

We have 2 dedicated servers hosted within a data center in  london (uk). Due to upgraes in rackspaces inferstructure the servers were physicly being moved to the other side of london.

The entire datacenter was physicly picked up and driven 10 miles down the road and set back up..

And guess what.. this took 2 hours.

So why in the hell carnt blizzard either do one server at a time ghosting the server onto new hard ware if required 1 by 1 to avoid what i would consider a damn right fuckup on there part of outage.

My guess is its more cost efective for them to just shut down the data center and play around with the servers then being arsed to run tests and come up with a better plan.

My two cent, Not like i play and care but still.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by shane242
    24 hours to prep some servers for the expansion.
    We have 2 dedicated servers hosted within a data center in  london (uk). Due to upgraes in rackspaces inferstructure the servers were physicly being moved to the other side of london.
    The entire datacenter was physicly picked up and driven 10 miles down the road and set back up..
    And guess what.. this took 2 hours.
    So why in the hell carnt blizzard either do one server at a time ghosting the server onto new hard ware if required 1 by 1 to avoid what i would consider a damn right fuckup on there part of outage.
    My guess is its more cost efective for them to just shut down the data center and play around with the servers then being arsed to run tests and come up with a better plan.
    My two cent, Not like i play and care but still.

Because of course, Blizzard only has 2 or 3 servers to prep, test, perform maintenance on and maybe even replace in some cases. Should be a doddle.

<Sarcasm off>

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.