Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is RIFT = Heoroes of Telara?

bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

So a year ago I saw a trailer of Heroes of Telara. It looked awesome so I kept an eye on it.

I'm trying to find the MMO but all I can find is Rift: Planes of Telara. www.riftgame.com

So is this the same game or something else?

Comments

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

It's the same game they just changed the title.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by jmsgalla

Ah I see, thank you.

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by bastionix

So a year ago I saw a trailer of Heroes of Telara. It looked awesome so I kept an eye on it.

I'm trying to find the MMO but all I can find is Rift: Planes of Telara. www.riftgame.com

So is this the same game or something else?

Yes, due to the Rifts playing such a huge factor in the game they renamed to Rift.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Interesting game

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Interesting game

That it is. The diversity it gives in classes even got this old "need more sandbox" gamer to add it to his future play list. That and looking at the screenshots of the world they are building and that a large portion of the flora and fauna aren't your typical "high fantasy" that has become a norm...yeah, looking forward to 1st quarter 2011 or sooner with beta (if I'm lucky).

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Interesting game

That it is. The diversity it gives in classes even got this old "need more sandbox" gamer to add it to his future play list. That and looking at the screenshots of the world they are building and that a large portion of the flora and fauna aren't your typical "high fantasy" that has become a norm...yeah, looking forward to 1st quarter 2011 or sooner with beta (if I'm lucky).

No Shit!!??

Its really a Sandbox MMO?

Now I even more interested

Sandbox MMO with Classes.  Thats not been done before

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Call me cynic, ... but I feel another Aion in the making. 

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Interesting game

No Shit!!??

No, it's not Sandbox at all! It might have some elements of Sandbox gameplay, but it seems fairly 'theme park' in my opinion. You'd have to get some clarification from the author, but I thought Khalathwyr was saying he's an old Sandbox gamer and this one even got him interested.

They have said you can quest to level 50 or just go kill stuff if you want - won't be forced down either path. Plus the classes at least seem to have some interesting options for development, etc.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by jmsgalla

Well, since the game was HoT, Trion has since brought on Scott Hartsman as Studio Lead and Creative Director who brought a renewed focus and many changes to the game.  So yeah, its the same game, but also a new one- a lot more has changed than just the title. 

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Interesting game

Sort of why I got interested in it.

It has the sandbox feel of original EQ and the newness of WoW / Aion. I hope it becomes really big though, I've been burned too many times on MMO that don't work out ><. It looks promising to me at least, *crosses her fingers*

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Interesting game

No Shit!!??

No. I said I'm a sandbox gamer (who is always saying that we need more sandbox games)  and though I want more SB games, I'm going to try this non-SB game out.

My fault for not spelling things out in specific.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I believe the reasoning for changing from Heroes of Telara to Rift: Planes of Telara was to take away the emphasis on everyone to be heroes and more on the major focus of the game; the rifts.

Scott mentions his decision in this article.

The game is the same game but I tink it has been seriously worked on since and vast improvements have been made. It's going to be bigger and better.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by holifeet
    I believe the reasoning for changing from Heroes of Telara to Rift: Planes of Telara was to take away the emphasis on everyone to be heroes and more on the major focus of the game; the rifts.
    Scott mentions his decision in this article.

The game is the same game but I tink it has been seriously worked on since and vast improvements have been made. It's going to be bigger and better.

Yeah that way my impression, too. I do hope they talk about the other dynamic elements more, though. Back when the game was HoT they had some cool ideas and I hope all of those are still in and it is indeed that rifts are 'flashy' and being emphasized at the moment. I'm crossing my fingers and assuming they'll have other similar dynamic elements to GW2.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala