Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me escape the spell rotation

random11random11 Member UncommonPosts: 765

In short? I need an MMO with combat I couldn't fall asleap near, and win all the time. Of course, I mean the skill rotation. The dreaded, braindead 1-2-3 faceroll of WoW fame.

DDO is my poision of choice, but there isn't enough content to keep me happy in the long run.

AoC is basically the same, I just have to press more buttons and circle run the hell out of opponents.

I'd like a game, where a combat situation will look like this. 1. Analyze 2. act/counter. A game, where I have to aproach different kind of mobs differently, and combat is reactive, not just a race to deplete a red bar.

Basically, all modern mmos are mindless button mashers. Could someone tell me of one, where combat is dynamic and reactive, and need constant thinking?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

Originally posted by random11

In short? I need an MMO with combat I couldn't fall asleap near, and win all the time. Of course, I mean the skill rotation. The dreaded, braindead 1-2-3 faceroll of WoW fame.

DDO is my poision of choice, but there isn't enough content to keep me happy in the long run.

AoC is basically the same, I just have to press more buttons and circle run the hell out of opponents.

I'd like a game, where a combat situation will look like this. 1. Analyze 2. act/counter. A game, where I have to aproach different kind of mobs differently, and combat is reactive, not just a race to deplete a red bar.

Basically, all modern mmos are mindless button mashers. Could someone tell me of one, where combat is dynamic and reactive, and need constant thinking?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps an MMO where there is no red bar. Kindof.

Perhaps where Hit Points (red bars) are not depleted just once- but many times. Healthy. Grazed. Hurt. Wounded. Crippled.

Where healing is more of a buff than a vital role which changes the tide of battle. Where support classes cannot outheal even the class with the lowest DPS, but can assist greatly in battle. Where every class can be offense, albeit differently.

Where even the classes who focus on DPS can't kill in 1-3 hits within 3 seconds. Where combat is fast paced, yet tactical, strategic, and long running. A mix of slow-paced strategy and fast-paced tactics. Yet in only minutes a skirmish can be decided where the enemy players know they must retreat and the skirmish is won but the battle is not over.

PvP and Dungeon scenarios where out-right killing the opponent is least important. Realistic conquest of objectives, objects, treasures, and competitions.

I believe firmly in Group Strategy, Personal Tactics, and wise Character Development. In fast action, but combat that isn't so stupid you can die in seconds.

This is years away, but I know how you feel. That is why we at Emergence are attempting something different without falling off the world of normal.

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by random11

Thanks in advance!

The upcoming Tera might work for you.

You could try Lineage 2 though you'd have to work extremely hard to catch up.

You could try an oldie but goodie in Dark Age of Camelot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I am going to vouch for Dungeon Fighter Online again. It plays like Final Fight / Street Fighter 2 with a wide range of combos set to the specific class archetypes therein. You can go through just mashin X to basic hit things to death, but you get style/technique points that amliphy rewards for the content by knocking mobs into the air and hitting them, or by getting them from behind, etc. Lots of fun for an F2P, but it doesn't have the depth you'd expect from a traditional MMO. Still a great side-game, and the PvP is great, even if as unbalanced as a cash-shop game gets. Pretty much need avatar items from the CS, but you can buy it off other players for in-game currency.

It'll tide me over until FFXIV and other games are released, and I can still see myself playing it should I get bored of those too.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Yeah daoc is very dynamic and exactly what he's looking for, but I think his original post made it sound like he was looking for pve only. Not sure if that's still a requirement or what. 

Anyway, pvp in daoc is very tactical and requires you to do the right abilities at the right time, and there are plenty of abilities. Pve is pretty basic though and I don't think it can be described like that. 

• moshpittmoshpitt Member UncommonPosts: 10

Try  Fantasy earth zero,  Yea you have skills you can use but its a war game basically you have these 50vs50 (max) to destroy the other teams base. You can destroy the other teams base in various methods, Killing enemy players, killing enemy towers or plain out right attack the base(usually dont work).  It takes player skill and cordination to actually take a player down, depening on your class there isnt much of a targeting system you actually have to aim (its not a fps, but the aiming system is similar to one)

The downside in playing the game is half of you teammates might not know how to play and thus making you lose these wars, but if you join a good guild and stick with them your more than likely to not be caught with the non skilled players

If your a big fan of graphics then i recommend you not to play the game, the graphics are a little outdated but thats fine..

• V3rg1lV3rg1l Member Posts: 14

Darkfall.

• tinwonderboytinwonderboy Member Posts: 5

well i will not make my post long but i suggest you to try Aion, dark fall, Lineage 2 or the turn based atlantica online