Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a good offline PC RPG

i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

I've come to realize that when an RPG becomes an MMORPG it looses a few certain qualities that I miss. So any pointers to old/new RPG's that you enjoy for the PC would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

TES: Oblivion, The Witcher (and The Witcher 2 is looking damn awesome by the way), Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 are the top three relatively recent ones I'd recommend.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I enjoyed Dragon Age. Mass Effect 1 and 2. The witcher. Torchlight.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

A few games I always leave installed: Oblivion, Fallout 3, NWN2, Black&White 2.

All of which have expansions so there's many many hours of boredom to burn away, even with just those 4 games. I don't have the greatest PC either, so those are about as high-end as I can go lol.

• TecumsehTecumseh Member Posts: 25

I myself tremendously enjoyed Risen. It was the first RPG in a long time to attract me, specially the combat. It's not the typical click 1,2,3,4, collect loot, you have to actaully gaurd,dodge, attack, charge in order to win, your enemies will do the same, yes they will loot you!

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

To toss some lesser known RPGs out: Flotilla is a semi-RPG Space based game(it's also quite difficult), Silverfall is Diablo with a massive world and a Physics engine, Mount and Blade: Warbands or the original Mount and Blade are pretty good. I also hear that The Guild 2 is a great Medieval simulator.

I'm free on Friday.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 and Knights of the Old Republic 1 are to me, the best offline RPGs ever. ME2 and KOTOR2 kinda killed it for me lol.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• SouzetsuAeriSouzetsuAeri Member UncommonPosts: 120

All of the above are great offline RPG's.

But one most people over look is Titan Quest and its expansion. It's a Diablo style RPG that really lived up to the style, but unfortunetly the studio couldn't keep going which ended anything new for this game. There is still a big community for Titan Quest, with community updates to fix bugs. Worth looking into if you like Diablo style RPG's.

There is a demo available to try it out. :)

• eripmav08eripmav08 Member Posts: 65

My Best Offline Games,

1.Counter-Strike

2.RedAlert2

3.StarCraft

4.BattleRealms

5.Diablo2

try to play that dude.. thats all the best iknow to play offline game.. :)

HuNd3Rz

• motorunmotorun Member UncommonPosts: 29

Some of my current favorites:

Battle for Wesnoth | Turn based rpg strategy w/ multiplayer (open source)- http://www.wesnoth.org

Eschalon I and II | Old style rpg with great exploration and freedom- http://basiliskgames.com

Spiderweb software | Old style where choices effect gameplay- http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

Honorable mentions to NWN1 and PoxNora (Sony's strategy turn based pvp/pve rpg tcg).

If graphics are paramount you may not enjoy any of these. However, in my opinion they offer outstanding game-play and many hours of entertainment. The communities are also worthy of praise.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

If you want to go old school, you can probably find copies of Baldur's Gate 2 and TES: Morrowind around cheap. 

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Instead of continuing to allow the broken record to spin:

Gothic Series {I-III} are quite good, but the first two require a bit a patience due to their unique controls, and Arcania: Gothic IV releases this Oct.

Venetica, overlooked by many and has an interesting story and good combat mechanics.  Its kinda like Gothic, but not as deep so far and more following specific paths!

Drakensang: The Dark Eye ~ intereesting game, that allows both point n click and wasd movement, though a little stiff if I recall, but a fun game.  Lots of different class choices too...

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura ~ Old title, made by the amazing folks that created the original Fallout I & II!

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines ~ Troika's final title before shutting down and overlooked by many, but its an amazing game...from the creators of Fallout.

Planescape: Torment ~ One word...Morte!

Anyway...I could keep going, but these alone will last ya for months..

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I remember one called Geneforge way back when, I think it was one of (if not the) first RPG I played. It was good, but compared to today's games I'm sure it sucks.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

I just wanted to write back and thank everyone for their input. Alot of those games looked really nice and I'm definately checkin some of them out. Thanks alot peace :)

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231
  • XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Comnitus

TES: Oblivion, The Witcher (and The Witcher 2 is looking damn awesome by the way), Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 are the top three relatively recent ones I'd recommend.

I second this.

Also Dragon age. :p