Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Overall TOR E3 Recap and Opinion on Showing

Comments

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Tarka

Quote of yourself:   "2) does the consular have no ranged offensive abilities?"

If you had done more research, you wouldn't have asked that question. 

Are you daft? It was a rhetorical question to counter the "He was sitting at range being the camera" argument that was brought forth.

"I wrote an article about possible classes to be featured in SW:TOR when I first started here at MMORPG.com and in it I mentioned the Jedi Consular as a possible healer class, though I cautioned I never would want to see a Jedi basically sitting in the back line healing their party, but I felt there was a strong possibility it would be a reality in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Unfortunately, I was right. Right there before my eyes, I watched from the main perspective of the Jedi Consular player as she did absolutely nothing but stand around refilling the Trooper's health meter as he held the boss aggro. I died a little bit inside, but alas, nothing is perfect!"

1)  He is claiming that his assumption about a Jedi "basically setting in the back line and healing their party" was right.  Which on its own could be take a few ways....however....

He is claiming that his CONCERN about a Jedi Consular "basically setting in the back line and healing their party" was REALISED from the first gameplay vid for group combat. 

The last part is his personal opinion... something he is totally allowed to express.

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

What i want to know is why are people complaining about there being a holy trinity when BioWare stated that MMO's are based off of three pillars one being "The Holy Trinity" and that they are just adding a fourth, story.  From what has been seen you have your basic trinity set up as per usual and in this instance the jedi counselor was clearly the healer but as i said this is from "What has been seen". Additionally the reviewer seemed to have been disappointed in the fact that jedi will be healing period and that is why he said what he said when he saw the gameplay, and thats his prerogative objective or not.  I for one am looking forward to seeing more footage and to see how this game may take a twist on the traditional gameplay mechanics of the Holy Trinity and further footage on the different combat styles of all the classes. I would also like to see some more Bounty Hunter footage that is action packed the recent stuff seemed a bit stale but i still have hopes, not because the game is a year from release but because it would be unwise to have a stagnant combat in an the immersive game they are attempting to make. 

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Talthanys

Still, cyphers, healthy skepticism is, well, healthy. And part of that overarching idea of 'healthy' is to not believe it until they show it. BioWare is selling a product. The marketing slant on things they say, whether ultimately true or untrue, is designed to entice a potential customer to purchase said product. That alone should be more than enough reason to insist on 'seeing before you believe'. It is not a crime to want to actually see the product function rather than simply believing what the SW:TOR marketing talking points are.

I'm all for healthy skepticism and not treating anything that devs say as gospel but using your own common sense and observational skills. What I'm not going along with or buying into is the whole 'biased skepticism or extreme cynicism' thing, in which people have made up their mind how a MMO will be based upon the little information they saw, or think that devs and other game company representatives are lying about everything as if they're some con artists.

So, some of those people that are now uber skeptics have believed the hypes in the past, have been fooled and gotten 'burnt' by it, and now they suddenly decided to disbelieve everything that is being stated?? That's as much unhealthy and foolishness as fully believing the hype.

The point where a lot of people go wrong is they've made up their mind already, while still much isn't clear or hasn't been shown yet. It isn't about them not believing what the devs are stating, it's about them being so rigid in their viewpoint that they won't believe anything the devs are stating that contradicts that viewpoint until it is being rubbed in their face with proof as reports or videos or demos.

But if people want to believe that SW ToR will be a single player game, that non-human races won't be able to be picked, that there won't be any endgame and the combat and classes will be nothing more than the classic tank-healer-dps format, then that's their right, of course. Just as it's my right to think that those people are making fools of themselves and making overly rash and ludicrous judgements.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by DariusGear

I for one am looking forward to seeing more footage and to see how this game may take a twist on the traditional gameplay mechanics of the Holy Trinity and further footage on the different combat styles of all the classes. I would also like to see some more Bounty Hunter footage that is action packed the recent stuff seemed a bit stale but i still have hopes, not because the game is a year from release but because it would be unwise to have a stagnant combat in an the immersive game they are attempting to make. 

As am I.  In my opinion, we need to see ALL of the classes in different scenarios, including group situations with different group compositions and roles.

Originally posted by cyphers

Still, cyphers, healthy skepticism is, well, healthy. And part of that overarching idea of 'healthy' is to not believe it until they show it. BioWare is selling a product. The marketing slant on things they say, whether ultimately true or untrue, is designed to entice a potential customer to purchase said product. That alone should be more than enough reason to insist on 'seeing before you believe'. It is not a crime to want to actually see the product function rather than simply believing what the SW:TOR marketing talking points are.

I'm all for healthy skepticism and not treating anything that devs say as gospel but using your own common sense and observational skills. What I'm not going along with or buying into is the whole 'biased skepticism or extreme cynicism' thing, in which people have made up their mind how a MMO will be based upon the little information they saw, or think that devs and other game company representatives are lying about everything as if they're some con artists.

So, some of those people that are now uber skeptics have believed the hypes in the past, have been fooled and gotten 'burnt' by it, and now they suddenly decided to disbelieve everything that is being stated?? That's as much unhealthy and foolishness as fully believing the hype.

The point where a lot of people go wrong is they've made up their mind already, while still much isn't clear or hasn't been shown yet. It isn't about them not believing what the devs are stating, it's about them being so rigid in their viewpoint that they won't believe anything the devs are stating that contradicts that viewpoint until it is being rubbed in their face with proof as reports or videos or demos.

But if people want to believe that SW ToR will be a single player game, that non-human races won't be able to be picked, that there won't be any endgame and the combat and classes will be nothing more than the classic tank-healer-dps format, then that's their right, of course. Just as it's my right to think that those people are making fools of themselves and making overly rash and ludicrous judgements.

You said it better than I ever could.  Bravo.  Extreme cynisism is as bad as blind faith.

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

You said it better than I ever could.  Bravo.  Extreme cynisism is as bad as blind faith.

I agree with what your saying, that being said there will aways be blind fail and blind cynisisim as well as objectivity in both department but non of that matters all that matters is the end product and until them this is what we have to occupie our minds and our time and will probably still be true after this game is out :P. But in any case at least it gives us something to do however trivial it may be. 

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Why is it that people seem to be jumping to false conclusions based on little evidence?

Because there is no evidence to the contrary. At this point in this genre, I trust my eyes and intuition far more than promises from a developer. Looks like the writer does, too.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Well a month ago I would be spiting hate on this game as it did not lived to ITS expectations (not mine)..but:

Today I just feel sorry for all those really really bad excuses (I could quote, but I really dont have to) with which fans are defending this game...I feel sorry for BW, I feel sorry for the STO dejavú and I certainly feel sorry for lifetime subs some people paid...Actually I dont since they will enjoy the game to the last breath BECAUES ITS STAR WARS AND BIOWARE FOR GOD SAKE!!!!

This game is getting so ranted like any other game Ive seen...

But from my really long xps with MMOs I know that game that IS ranted so much always deserves it (tabula rasa, WAR, AoC,APB, Aion etc : except t Lotro which is giong F2P tho...)

I could also post some really good points why I think this game wont be so awesome as many thinks but just read my posts pls...

Im not a troll, but I just got very cynical with this game

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by brostyn

Why is it that people seem to be jumping to false conclusions based on little evidence?

Because there is no evidence to the contrary. At this point in this genre, I trust my eyes and intuition far more than promises from a developer. Looks like the writer does, too.

Oh and this...sorry for double post..

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by DariusGear

I agree with what your saying, that being said there will aways be blind fail and blind cynisisim as well as objectivity in both department but non of that matters all that matters is the end product and until them this is what we have to occupie our minds and our time and will probably still be true after this game is out :P. But in any case at least it gives us something to do however trivial it may be. 

Unfortunately, in this industry, the success of the end product can actually be jeopordized by the community. These games live and die at the whim of our wallets. When a bunch of people sit around constantly blasting a game for imagined wrongdoing, some of the people reading the posts who were on the fence about the game may get an unearned bad impression of it. So in a sense, it's not really trivial, is it? 

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

TOR will have a huge launch. Peeps loooove StarWars. But, people also have high expectations. Without inovative gameplay and graphics you will loose most of Fanboi, and 'taste testing' subs shortly after launch. Look at WAR, after the 'new' is gone most gravitate back to what they know. After all, why spend all that time to get to 'EndGame' status to play the same game your used to with a new skin?..Just play the one you have already invested the time into.

Bioware better hope they are saving the goods for later, or this will be another poor licence, of a great brand.

Aaw, sure, I get the super cynics, those who have become so jaded in the MMO genre that they don't believe in anything anymore when it comes to MMO games except the negatives and who go with their guts when it comes to predicting whether a 'game will fail', or when they're more reasonable, 'just not  be for them'.

In a way, I feel sorry for them though. They remind me of some of my friends who after another bad breakup decide to never ever 'trust those bitches and sluts' (meaning women in general) again. Sure, I can understand their viewpoint. Do I agree with their worldview? Hell no. But only time can change their mind or heal their wounds, and hopefully better epxeriences in the future.

The same with those haters and supercynics: sure, I 'get' where they're coming from. Do I agree with their superficial 'gut feel' judgements to be the truth? Hell no. But if that's what makes them decide not to try a MMO, well, that's their choice and taste of course, enough MMO's around and upcoming.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

I'm still going to play this, but from everything I hear, it's just WoW with Star Wars painted on top of it.  Of course, that's not always a bad thing.  WoW is a very good game.  It's just gotten stale, and the repetative content might be why.  So, maybe TOR will deliver.  I'm part of that rare breed who both enjoys healing and is not the main tank's girlfriend, so I'll play a Jedi Consular without much reservation.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Bunnyking

It's not about the game offering tons of radical new gameplay, it's about it being a fun game to play and having a good atmosphere 'to get lost in'.
    Imo it's not about defending a game either. People's opinions differ. Some like certain things, some don't. You obviously don't like it since you call what we've seen so far 'lackluster'. I on the other hand like what I have seen so far and an very curious to learn more. That doesn't make me a fanboy. That makes me hopeful for a potentially very fun game.

Yes certainly, the fun factor is in the end what will make a player stick with it, though I can remember in recent past people grinding through the pain of levels in Aion in the hope of a fantastic endgame only to find not so much beyond PvP grinding. I think peep can be too critical at early demo stage of games life. I certainly will be playing SWTOR because I know Bioware will give me a decent story to play through.
  • RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

Why do you think the Consular owns a lightsaber, if she is purely or even primarily a Heal Bot hmm?  Just for the "look" of it?  Haven you actually read any of the details regarding the classes yet?

probably same reason wow paladin has armor and weapons. for show.

Why do you think the Consular owns a lightsaber, if she is purely or even primarily a Heal Bot hmm?  Just for the "look" of it?  Haven you actually read any of the details regarding the classes yet?

Showing or quoting is better.

About the Jedi Consular:

• Quote: From what we were shown, this class is far from being a simple caster. Part melee, part puppeteer, part healer; the Jedi Consular could end up filling multiple play styles - Darth Hater Extravaganza

• Quote: "The Jedi consular is more based in telekinetics" - Gamespot Dec 3rd

• Abilities seem to include Mind Maze, Force Pull, Force Slam, Benevolence, Meditation, Clear casting & Force Repulse - Darth Hater Extravaganza

• Consular is a rear line support fighter not a front line melee. - PCGames Translation

• Consulars can use the doublebladed Lightsaber - Holonet

Showing or quoting is better.

About the Jedi Consular:

• Quote: From what we were shown, this class is far from being a simple caster. Part melee, part puppeteer, part healer; the Jedi Consular could end up filling multiple play styles - Darth Hater Extravaganza

• Quote: "The Jedi consular is more based in telekinetics" - Gamespot Dec 3rd

• Abilities seem to include Mind Maze, Force Pull, Force Slam, Benevolence, Meditation, Clear casting & Force Repulse - Darth Hater Extravaganza

• Consular is a rear line support fighter not a front line melee. - PCGames Translation

• Consulars can use the doublebladed Lightsaber - Holonet

Don't forget that accroding to the devs the "melee specialisation" Advanced Class for the Inquisitor was inspired from Darth Maul.  Which is a bit odd in my opinion (I would have thought that the Sith Warrior Marauder Specialisation would be more suited to emulating the Darth Maul style), but there you go.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Edit:  what the heck?  This isn't the topic I was posting to...

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Sounds better all the time.

Thanks for the no info though.

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108

I dont understand why people think that the consular was such a bad camera angle. It was the best choice out of the 4 that was shown. Let me draw it out. The trooper's screen was filled with the big ass robots(ever tank before? chyeah). The smuggler was really not doing anything from whatt i was but he was stuffed in a corner and i think the only thing showing up on his screen would be robots and maybe either the trooper or the jedi knight. The jedi knight was handling the smaller robots so the only thing in his screen would be the wall and the robots. But! If you look at the consular she is healing from a distance, and as long as your not completely blind you can see pretty much what everyone is doing, it might not be picture perfect, some of the players might look to small to really  pay that much attention to but i think it was pretty visable. But thats just my take on it.

id love some feedbackkssss :DDD

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by brostyn

A lack of evidence to the contrary does not warrant your own assumptions.  That's called the fallacy of Appeal to Ignorance.

Okay, so you don't trust the developer's word - understandable.  So let's pretend the developer said nothing at all.  In that situation, all we'd have to go off of was the video.  However, you must see that even though we were only shown the consular filling a certain role and using certain abilities, there is no evidence to support the conclusion that they are limited to that role and those abilities.  In fact, there is evidence to the contrary on that point.  Therefore, it is not safe to make such an assumption at this time.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

What I basically get from BioWare-TOR at E3 was a whole lot of nothing but underwhelming information.

You can have a space ship!... Hmm, okay.  AND?

You can PvP in isolated corners of the game!... Ehh, okay.

You can group with people and fight NPCs!... Isn't that to be expected???

You can choose several classes!... Isn't that what all the cookie-cutter games do anyways?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CraygheCrayghe Member UncommonPosts: 22

As mentioned. the Jedi Consular was used more as a camera-bot for the demo, leaving only 'healing' (as opposed to being bone-idle) for her to do.

As for 'why' on the speculation... Well, that would be because we've been spoiled in the past by developers throwing out details about the upcoming game to keep the hype up. Bioware has done something different (who'd have thunk it) and kept quiet. So, all we have left in the absence of fact is wild speculation.

Sure, it's not going to be perfect, but it isn't going to be a can of crap either...

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

At some point the writers and MMORPG.com need to become fans of the genre.  Right now it seems like they are given a certain amount of information to look over as their task for the day, then write an article about what is given to them.  Rather than doign what fans do and scour the internet for information, videos, interviews, etc. 

I find it a bit unpleasant that absolutely every article I've read about the game's E3 presence has been terrible in that I leave each article with a grimace knowing that there are at least one or two things in the article that are speculations by the writer based on information that is already out that says their speculations are false.  Watch G4 alone and you would know that there are several classes that can take up the role of the healer, in addition the same classes can take on the role of DPS or tank depending on the class.  Also with closer inspection you can actually see the "heal bot" Consular tossing enemy NPC"s about with the force in between heals. 

In terms of an 5-man MMO encounter it was pretty damn impressive in just how active it was.  The Jedi Knight killing the smaller NPC's int eh back that are flooding in, while the rest of the party concentrates on the boss, the Consular healing and tossign enemies about while the smugger makes his rounds around the fight doing whatever he can to help the party.  Meanwhile the trooper pounds away at the mech trying to keep it off of the others as they do their jobs.  Standard to some degree but I'd like to see the last 5 man instance in many other games that has you do anything but tank, heal and DPS the boss at what seems to be a mid-level content.

The articles about the hands-on play were also absolutely terrible.  What fan of RPG's and MMORPG's alike actually sits down and complains that they had to read through voice acted, well written dialog before going and doing the quest.  Are you really so eager to go back to the days of WoW where you skip the quest box, hit accept and go kill boars?  I find it flabberghasting that people who want to move a certain genre forward, dislike the one thing that makes this game do just that.

Disgusting.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"The fight kind of dragged on longer than I'd like and frankly I wasn't too impressed with what I was seeing. If anything, I was pretty underwhelmed."

Yet another warning flag, if STOR under performs as much as Champions and STO then MMORPG.com will certainly be able to say 'we did warn you guys.'

Also from a RP and achievement point of view starting with a starship is an error, but that seems the least of the games issues.