Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Onlive, viable bussiness for retro gaming?

KlyernKlyern Member UncommonPosts: 29

Today I was viewing reviews out of nostalgia, and came upon xcom apocalypse and alpha centauri reviews, two of my favorite all time games, i swear i played them for years, and even nowadays they wouldnt be too shabby.

So i tried installing them knowing i would come to some compatibility problems since i have a coreduo and xp. But whatever fixes i found and tried they all proved useless, in the end i couldn't play them.

Thats when i remembered the article about Onlive a few weeks back, and i thought backwards, what if instead of letting us play games we cant use because we have insufficient specs, they let us play games (retro/outdated/abandonware) that are incompatible with our systems for a lil slice of income.

Im not a "business man" or a "computer guy" so i wouldn't know what im saying, im just a regular ideas guy.

But what about it? is it feasible? would it be profitable? i mean how hard would it be to apropiate a number of outdated PCs and making an onlive hub on those outdated PCs?

comment rate whatever, its public ^^

EDIT: Ah btw this idea also came to existence in light of my brother owning a Wii, the Wii store if anyone is familiar with it, has a billion of retro games for paid download, like Zelda for SNES and many others. Not that there aren't good emulators out there that you can download for free and play them but its just an example.

EDIT2: ah sorry i didnt see the gaming subforum, i guess this goes there, tehe :P

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Klyern

Today I was viewing reviews out of nostalgia, and came upon xcom apocalypse and alpha centauri reviews, two of my favorite all time games, i swear i played them for years, and even nowadays they wouldnt be too shabby.

So i tried installing them knowing i would come to some compatibility problems since i have a coreduo and xp. But whatever fixes i found and tried they all proved useless, in the end i couldn't play them.

Thats when i remembered the article about Onlive a few weeks back, and i thought backwards, what if instead of letting us play games we cant use because we have insufficient specs, they let us play games (retro/outdated/abandonware) that are incompatible with our systems for a lil slice of income.

Im not a "business man" or a "computer guy" so i wouldn't know what im saying, im just a regular ideas guy.

But what about it? is it feasible? would it be profitable? i mean how hard would it be to apropiate a number of outdated PCs and making an onlive hub on those outdated PCs?

comment rate whatever, its public ^^

EDIT: Ah btw this idea also came to existence in light of my brother owning a Wii, the Wii store if anyone is familiar with it, has a billion of retro games for paid download, like Zelda for SNES and many others. Not that there aren't good emulators out there that you can download for free and play them but its just an example.

I got Alpha Centarui and X-Com Apoclypse I use Dosbox for both of them since they are the orginial games and not updated releases. Works for me have not ran across one retro game yet I couldn't play due to computer specs.

• KlyernKlyern Member UncommonPosts: 29

I did find some fixes that let me play the game but they have choppy audio or video.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

You can play Xcom(UFO: Enemy Unknown) and a host of other old DOS games on this site right from your browser for free (You have to download a small browser plugin and they play full screen). It's pretty slick.

Edit: The plugin is a browser version of DOSBOX by the way so it's safe. If you use firefox you may need to go to the Firefox Plugin site to get that version. The link is right on the FreeGameEmpire site.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }