Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User interface as bad as FFXI?

2»

Comments

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by shokero

Originally posted by Edli

Originally posted by De4dd0g

I don't see anything wrong with the FFXI UI, infact I find it super easy and fun to play with since it's easily usable with a controller. I can see it being not as friendly if you was playing with a keyboard mouse sure. Maybe that's how you experienced it, if you did try it with a controller it is unbelievable better. Sometimes a bad experience can lead you to think it's crap, but maybe you are not using rhw best hardware for the UI.

Well some of us want to play mmos with keyboard and mouse. You know, on a pc. 

Trust me you won't need a mouse to play ffxiv at all.

Why not, I don't get it. What about right click interacting with npcs, move the camera, select skills in hotbar or select the mob to attack (although that was in the video). There are some basic things to do with a mouse and I don't see the reason why I shouldn't need it.

wont need it cause youll move with the wasd and you can move the camera with the up,down,left,right buttons and tab through the interface and/or your skills which seems to be a lot faster atm.

I prefer to move with wasd and point and click you will be able to do that so i am not worried idk why others are. I played ffxi for years on console with controller and on pc with kb and mouse. I found them both to be very easy to use. I actually preferred kb and mouse over controller.

I am not quite sure I understand the issue....

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by ironhelix

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Goddamned fanboys shut the hell up, you are doing nothing but making us all look like idiots.

If the game was designed strictly for controller we wouldn't have a hotbar with potentially 30 skills to choose from. Pad isn't the perfect choice for keeping up. It's not a make or break deal but kb works much better here.

Now if you have nothing constructive to say don't say anything at all. We are all better off that way.

How is what I said not constructive? The game was deigned to be played on a console. This means using a controller. If a person has a problem with playing a game because it was not optimized for keyboard and mouse, then Final Fantasy XIV is NOT the game for them. 

If the game was suposed to be designed for consoles mainly then how come the alpha version at the moment is only for pc?

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Goddamned fanboys shut the hell up, you are doing nothing but making us all look like idiots.

If the game was designed strictly for controller we wouldn't have a hotbar with potentially 30 skills to choose from. Pad isn't the perfect choice for keeping up. It's not a make or break deal but kb works much better here.

Now if you have nothing constructive to say don't say anything at all. We are all better off that way.

How is what I said not constructive? The game was deigned to be played on a console. This means using a controller. If a person has a problem with playing a game because it was not optimized for keyboard and mouse, then Final Fantasy XIV is NOT the game for them. 

If the game was suposed to be designed for consoles mainly then how come the alpha version at the moment is only for pc?

They did the same thing with Final Fantasy XI. I am not really sure why, probably because computers vary so much, and more testing is required. The fact remains that more people play Final Fantasy XI on playstation 2 than they do on PC. There is no reason to believe that Final Fantasy XIV will be any different. You forget that the overwhelming majority of this game's fanbase is Japanese, and they prefer to game on consoles. 

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It seems the defense for the Final Fantasy Xi and XIV UI is that the game is designed to be played with a controller.  Perhaps that's true, but I simply argue  WHY?  The MMO market is a pc market.  Maybe that will change over time, but it itsn't the case now.  For those that DO NOT like to use voice chat, it's a hassle using a controller and a keyboard both.  Communicating via chat with a controller is beyond cumbersome, and Final Fantasy XI's UI with a keyboard and mouse was cumbersome.  Yes it looks like the UI is a litlte bit more geared towards pc gamers, but not by much. 

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

They did the same thing with Final Fantasy XI. I am not really sure why, probably because computers vary so much, and more testing is required. The fact remains that more people play Final Fantasy XI on playstation 2 than they do on PC. There is no reason to believe that Final Fantasy XIV will be any different. You forget that the overwhelming majority of this game's fanbase is Japanese, and they prefer to game on consoles. 

I have to agree with Iron, when I first played FFXI it was on the PS2. He is also correct about coming out first for the PS2, then on PC (In Japan).  

When I played, I used a Logitech Netplay Keyboard controller combo. In short you can do both. The keyboard also slides out but I never used that.  This was a quality purchase for me and lasted a very long time. Especially through fits of rage, when I my BCNM didnt drop! Stoopid Peacock Charm!!

• lynxielynxie Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by De4dd0g

I don't see anything wrong with the FFXI UI, infact I find it super easy and fun to play with since it's easily usable with a controller. I can see it being not as friendly if you was playing with a keyboard mouse sure. Maybe that's how you experienced it, if you did try it with a controller it is unbelievable better. Sometimes a bad experience can lead you to think it's crap, but maybe you are not using rhw best hardware for the UI.

Well some of us want to play mmos with keyboard and mouse. You know, on a pc. 

Trust me you won't need a mouse to play ffxiv at all.

Why not, I don't get it. What about right click interacting with npcs, move the camera, select skills in hotbar or select the mob to attack (although that was in the video). There are some basic things to do with a mouse and I don't see the reason why I shouldn't need it.

A lot of people hated the FFXI UI.

But after I learned to use it I loved the keyboard only controls.

I always use keyboard shortcuts for the hotbars in MMORPG's, because it is for me faster then moving the mouse to the right button. In FFXI it was alt+1-0 and ctrl+1-0.

I hope there is again the option to play keyboard only, the mouse feels limited, selecting may feel easier at first with the mouse, but when you let go of your old believe and give a new way a chance, you learn to see the advances.

In FFXI  I mostly used the macro for selecting the target the group is attacking. Which was the quickest and a very save way. I could select the target quicker that was pulled then I could see it. (Which is needed for selecting it with the mouse :) )

As a puller I prefer to tab quickly through all targets to find fast the right kind of enemy near me:

tab, right mob? , Alt+C to check it, is it good? then pull, not? repeat. FFXI was the first MMORPG were I actually was fast in pulling, faster then my eyes could look around.

Of course a MMORPG who shows how difficult the target is by it's name color is maybe faster (if you are good with shooters and stuff, I suck at shooters), but I find it boring. and I hate floating names, so in FFXI I could turn it off and still be just as good as the rest.

For the party I used the F keys, which is also easier and faster then selecting it with a mouse. after a little practice.

Actually in MMORPG's were the mouse worked good, I usually also used the keyboard keys for nearest target, and cycle through targets. Only looking behind you with the mouse is easier in other MMORPG's.

In FFXI you couldn't easily look behind you like in most MMORPG's. But I loved this future from FFXI, you actually had to move around to watch around, which was more difficult, but also more fun. (Well maybe this could be changed in the settings, I don't know, I never looked at it because I liked this way of playing.)

Anyway, I hope FFXIV can have such a key mapping again.

I did hear a lot of people who loved to play it with the controller, but I disliked that, keyboard just has so much more keys, it is just 1 big giant controller. Moving with the numpad keys and using the arrows to look around, all with 1 hand was good better for me. I really didn't notice the advance of the conrtoller.

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

Just my opinion, but how hard is it for the gaming company to provide 2 sets of defaults for users to choose. Those that are using controller simply open options and click "Controller setup", those that are using keyboard/mouse click on "Keyboard/mouse setup"?

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

Originally posted by Proximo521

I have to agree with Iron, when I first played FFXI it was on the PS2. He is also correct about coming out first for the PS2, then on PC (In Japan).  

But he is saying that the first alpha of FFXI was in pc, which is not true. FFXI launched first on ps2 then after 6 months in pc. It was a port from consoles, not a good one too. For FFXIV things are different. Actually it's the pc that is getting testing first so saying that FFXIV is developed for consoles mainly it's untrue.

So quoting again Ironhelix (If a person has a problem with playing a game because it was not optimized for keyboard and mouse, then Final Fantasy XIV is NOT the game for them. ) 

This is false. FFXIV is different from FFXI. This time will not be a port from consoles to pc.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I much prefer moving and looking with the mouse.  I hope FF supports this.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

I used controller for console and PC.  I'm the dyslexic of UI , since I had a more awkward experience going from controller to WASD for WAR, and Aion.  Prolly check out and experiment with both to see whats up, but atm I'm leaning towards controller.

I just hope they don't let you do ridiculous gear changing swap macros in battle etc.. was really annoying. XD

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I played FFXI for PC for 3 years. Once you got used to using the keyboard only the gameplay was amazing.

I actually hope they use a very similar control system to FFXI. I absolutely loved ditching my mouse when playing.

It also kept my keyboard right in my lap for easy typing.

• Haven2035Haven2035 Member Posts: 54

Ya know..

Action bars being hidden and all that really isn't a big deal.  Just the other day in WoW I made all of my actionbars fade out unless I hover over them. Why? Because that game is so mindless that I know where every single one of my abilities is bound to by muscle memory.

FFXI you didn't really have THAT MANY abilities so being able to remmeber where they're at on a hot bar and what the keybindins are also shouldn't be difficult.

Nothing wrong with the old FFXI UI, it was simple and clean, just how I like it.

Originally posted by Proximo521

I have to agree with Iron, when I first played FFXI it was on the PS2. He is also correct about coming out first for the PS2, then on PC (In Japan).  

But he is saying that the first alpha of FFXI was in pc, which is not true. FFXI launched first on ps2 then after 6 months in pc. It was a port from consoles, not a good one too. For FFXIV things are different. Actually it's the pc that is getting testing first so saying that FFXIV is developed for consoles mainly it's untrue.

I dunno about alphs but ffxi in the US it was released live on PC first then ported to console later. I think it's more a matter of what the particular culture in question perfers.

I'm also sure the game will be optimized to play on PC and PS3 equally to attract a wider audience.  The goal for them to gto obtain as many subs as they can.  If they were going to develope the game primarily for PS3 then why port it to the PC at all?

Then again SE first developed FFXI only listening to what it's Japanese playerbase wanted and could care less what the rest of the world liked.. So who knows...

• sephiroth112sephiroth112 Member UncommonPosts: 55

SE need considerate the world if they wanna survive in this mmorpg market, they are company, they looking for money, so they need forget hardcore ffxi players and listen the people of the world what they really to want

Originally posted by Haven2035

I dunno about alphs but ffxi in the US it was released live on PC first then ported to console later. I think it's more a matter of what the particular culture in question perfers.

I'm also sure the game will be optimized to play on PC and PS3 equally to attract a wider audience.  The goal for them to gto obtain as many subs as they can.  If they were going to develope the game primarily for PS3 then why port it to the PC at all?

Then again SE first developed FFXI only listening to what it's Japanese playerbase wanted and could care less what the rest of the world liked.. So who knows...

It doesn't matter when it came to US. US got the testing 1 year after the game was already finished and played in Japan. I'm talking about the original game. The testing in US was more about translating and stuff like that. The game  was already done. FFXI was a port from the console to the pc. FFXIV it's not.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I can't see that it would be that hard to cater to both camps, have the option to set up controls as keyboard/keyboard and mouse/controller. Having a control system that is alien to a lot of PC MMO players will put some people off straight away, for what seems like relatively little work it would be silly not to do it in order to gain a wider audience.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by EvilGeek

I can't see that it would be that hard to cater to both camps, have the option to set up controls as keyboard/keyboard and mouse/controller. Having a control system that is alien to a lot of PC MMO players will put some people off straight away, for what seems like relatively little work it would be silly not to do it in order to gain a wider audience.

It's not hard, but it won't be perfect either way. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by sephiroth112

SE need considerate the world if they wanna survive in this mmorpg market, they are company, they looking for money, so they need forget hardcore ffxi players and listen the people of the world what they really to want

Now this is some sage advice, especially if they wish to expand this game beyond its traditional Japanese customer base.

But maybe they don't really want to?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Now this is some sage advice, especially if they wish to expand this game beyond its traditional Japanese customer base.

I think they're aware of the western audience.

But that doesn't mean they'll just stop following their own ideals. It means they will bend those ideals to fit the opinions of the masses. 

Which, in this age of "lets copy the EQ-model to the core for maximum subscribers, it worked for Blizzard!!" is not a bad thing. 

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by sephiroth112

FFXI is like 8 years old. The majority of the hardcore players now are a bit older, meaning don't have enough time. It's common sense to not cater only to them but to get new blood too. I'm not saying to make FFXIV a totally different game but we should expect an evolving process. After all every ff game out there has been different from each other while maintaining a common ground. 

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

It's not hard, but it won't be perfect either way. 

How do you know that? Unless your an insider with the dev team, you don't, seems to me your just trying to justify some weird elitism about the way the game is controlled, surely it's better for them and us to provide more options?

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

FFXI is like 8 years old. The majority of the hardcore players now are a bit older, meaning don't have enough time. It's common sense to not cater only to them but to get new blood too. I'm not saying to make FFXIV a totally different game but we should expect an evolving process. After all every ff game out there has been different from each other while maintaining a common ground. 

I completely agree with this because I fall in this category.  When I started playing FFXI, I had just graduated college and had 8 months off until starting law school.  I played, literally 8 hours a day.  It was unhealthy, I gained 20+ pounds, and it created rifts with my friends and family.

Fast forward to now, I am married, have a son, and a career.  If FFXIV is designed with the same time time committment as FFXI, I won't be playing it.  From what I've read, it's not, the same quests can be soloed or grouped.  It's not one or the other, but rather, I have a choice depending on the time committment.

I see myself using the week to finish solo quests, gear up, so that I can be prepared for the same quests during the weekend, when I have time to join a group.  The new system works perfectly.  It may be selfish on my part, but I love the direction FFXIV is going... I absolutely can't wait.

Originally posted by Haven2035

It doesn't matter when it came to US. US got the testing 1 year after the game was already finished and played in Japan. I'm talking about the original game. The testing in US was more about translating and stuff like that. The game  was already done. FFXI was a port from the console to the pc. FFXIV it's not.

That may well be true. Honestly I didn't pay any attention to FFXI until it had already been released in Japan and was being released here.

My point stands however we're talking about FFXIV no FFXI, regardless if FFXI was planned first for PS2 or PC is irrelevant.  FFXIV is being planned for release on PS3 and PC simultaneously and as such is more likely to be optimized for use on either.  It IS completely possible and should be expected in this day and age.  Interface changes between PC and Console were apparent in FFXI and will likely be moreso in FFXIV considering they release is the same.  So ultimately this entire argument is likely pointless.

As I said why develope a game for both if you're not willing to optimize for both. PC and Console are different creatures as such it only stands to reason that their UI's and their ability to effciently play the game would be different in their own ways yet of equal ability.

That said I played FFXI primarily on PC and had zero difficulty and in fact in some ways felt it was superior to playing on the PS2 despite where it's origins may of stemmed.  So suffice to say that regardless if the game is optimal for PC or PS3 I highly doubt that effciency will be of such great disparency that it will render the other unplayable or of even lesser playability. 

As far as mouse usage and such I really dont care, regardless of the consensus on keyboard turning I in fact prefer it. I can Ido either way but honestly it's a comfort thing. it's easier to have my hands on n one I/O device than it is to have to continuously switch between two and I also don't play MMOs to impress others, I play them to have fun and relax.  

Mouse turning also primarily is only a necessity in PvP not so much in PvE and as FFXIV is apparently solely a PvE game I can imagine mouse turning will have limit usfulness. As in WoW yes turning with a mouse is faster but truely only by fractions of a second than it is with a advanced combination of turning and straffing.  People in MMOs place too much value on milliseconds and fine increments more than they do on actually playing the game, and that's really too bad.

They can call me a noob for that but I've proven many wrong for instance people who tried to tell me you can't circle straffe with a keyboard, where in fact circle staffing is probably much more effcient with a keyboard than it is with a mouse.  Can I instantaneously turn around with a keyboard? No. But they can't back up either.  Each has it's pros and cons.  I'll take keyboard turning over a mouse anyday tho especially if the game is more optimal for it, so use of mouse really doesn't matter to me.

Likely it wont be an issue, as I'm sure turning with a controller will be akin to turning with a keyboard anyway..

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

If the UI are similar to each other then I will remove FFXIV from my expecting list. I did not realized that FFXI was mainly designed for PS3 when I bought it, and I will never forget the nightmare I had with FFXI. Another terrible thing is the start up menu, gee, I can't believe how Japanese could make an easy thing become so complicated.

How do you know that? Unless your an insider with the dev team, you don't, seems to me your just trying to justify some weird elitism about the way the game is controlled, surely it's better for them and us to provide more options?

For the exchange of other features being lackluster? No.

They're already spending more funds to making the controls work for both type of players than most companies out there that only have to care about keyboard and mouse. It's not going to be perfect.