Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help me decide Aion or STO only gonna play for a month

2»

Comments

• Osias000Osias000 Member Posts: 110

Why bother playing any MMO for just a month. It just seems pointless.

"cinnamon buns"
    - Pickles

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Ok my quick impressions:

Both STO and Aion is on special on steam and i bought both. ($16 and $20....bargain)

Anyway, i started with STO , played it for a bit and most of the initial game involves the ground combat and it is TERRIBLE. I' have this silly pet peeve with jumping animations and how your character moves and feels, in STO it's like Star Wars Galaxies....yes...7 year old crappy animations.

The ship combat, only did first bit, felt alot better, but definitely did not make me go "wow" or anything. Nothing in the game gripped me and made me want to play more and more. I played Champions Online quite a bit and cryptic pulled the same crap with all the noise and sirens and beeps and just NOISE in the game.......[i'd prefer more Star Trek music or something more soothing, but noooo it's explosions and rushing you through stuff from the get-go]

So i switched Aion , it felt like WoW , and what do you know, it plays like WoW too. It feels nicely polished, the animations are great [jumping and all] and spell effects and combat has a nice solid "thump" to it .  The music is great, the whole intro area [lvl 1-10] is nice and soothing and allows you to play at your own leisure . I did not notice anything "revolutionary" in terms of MMO gameplay, but i did enjoy just playing...and playing more.

I leveled to 11 in one play session [about 5 hours] which means the game kept me hooked enough to do that. (i only know this because the game kept giving me this message "You have been playing for x hours, please take a break". :)  I did not feel any of this grind people complain about, i suppose it might came at lvl 30+, but i don't care at this stage .I got my wings too (the flying stuff) , i knew about the limited use beforehand so i was not exactly surprised or dissapointed . I do think it's a cool feature though, being able to do combat while flying or at least escaping :) .

Anyway, i'll be rolling at least 2 other classes and play them to lvl 10 also just to make up my mind. I'd say even if i don't play it further than that, i got my $20 worth out of it :).

In contrast, i really don't have much to say about what i want to do in STO  at this stage, i suppose i'll fire it up once more to see if the ship combat gets better despite the newbie ship moving like the titanic.

And imho, if you want a casual game which you can play for 1-2 hours , have some good fun , and get out. I suggest get something like Global Agenda [which have no subscription].  Paying a subscription for STO if  you only play "1-2 hours here and there" on a casual basis is not on....

PS: I'm coming from Age of Conan with like 2 lvl 80s and the grind in the AoC expansion is so bad that i'll actually play Aion :)

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Aion, hands-down. You'll have fun for a month, whether you wat to go on after that is up to you.

Yeah, you'll see all of STO in a month, but the gameplay is more boring and more repetitive than anything in Aion (til you hit the 30's). STO couldn't keep me playing past a couple of days, the ground missions were pathetic and the space missions were the same, over and over. A yawnfest, I really had no fun. Well, that's not true, I had fun with the character creator, after that things went downhill.

Aion kept me fully entertained for a fortnight, and playing for 6 weeks. If your alloted time is a month, it should do the trick.

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by nepulas

both are uber crap.

aion cause its stupid asian grind  and sto cause ... its cryptic ...

if u want have fun for a month , enjoy eq2 on a high populated pve server , do many cool quests and have fun and hundrets of dungeons.

PvE?

mmmaannnngggg

• ifandbutifandbut Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by beefaroniap

i here the grind is bad in both games what mmo is better for just a month

Both are less than 20$ on steam just tryna decide between the 2 not looking for flammers on the 2 games

If you are only going to play for a month then get STO. I got to max level in STO and did a few raids in a my first month.