Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TenTonHammer's review of Tera at E3

stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/e3/2010/tera-group-play

Quote:

In this respect TERA may be a double edged sword. The group gameplay emphasizes teamwork, which is rewarding, but it could potentially become frustrating to players who have a streak of bad luck and end up with groups that don’t work well together. In some games a disjointed group may be frustrating, but often you can flub your way through the content. I’m not sure if that will be possible with TERA. If that turns out to be the case it could become too frustrating for many players to even bother grouping, leaving them out of the most rich aspect of the game we’ve seen so far.

On the other hand, if you have friends who can carry their own, or make some new friends with skilful alert gamers, you’ll have what could quite possibly be the best group MMOGing experience you’ve ever encountered.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Comments

• nathanvandynnathanvandyn Member Posts: 98

This is perfect news. Casters actually have to play the game this time around, you have to know what you are doing with all classes.

The weak will be sorted out from the strong rather quickly in this game, so it wont have a massive following imo but enough ppl to roll around and have massive amazing wars with.

Same thing happened with AoC, aside from lack of content, ppl could not compete in combat with those of more skill so they left and complained about all other things and even with rotgs improving the game a ton ppl still cant grasp the combat so ragequit.

TERA will be an awesome proving ground and I can't wait for some competitive gameplay.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by nathanvandyn

The weak will be sorted out from the strong rather quickly in this game, so it wont have a massive following imo but enough ppl to roll around and have massive amazing wars with.

Same thing happened with AoC, aside from lack of content, ppl could not compete in combat with those of more skill so they left and complained about all other things and even with rotgs improving the game a ton ppl still cant grasp the combat so ragequit.

TERA will be an awesome proving ground and I can't wait for some competitive gameplay.

The game where, as you call it, only strong can survive will ultimately fail. MMO without massive following will be dieing and even the 'strong' will run out. I dont think that any AAA title producer is making games for HC players only, it's simply stupid.

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

That's why elites play with the elites

and noobs can go cry

yyyeeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Malevil

Originally posted by nathanvandyn

The game where, as you call it, only strong can survive will ultimately fail. MMO without massive following will be dieing and even the 'strong' will run out. I dont think that any AAA title producer is making games for HC players only, it's simply stupid.

I don't know if tera will or will not be like you say.  But there are alot of games that are directed towards a small market and are not failing.  

When you try to please everyone you wind up pleasing no one in the end.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I really don't care what an MMO reviewer has to say because basically all of them are programmed to say, if its not like WoW then we need to find problems with it and if its too much like WoW then we claim its a clone.  There hasn't been a well reviewed MMO since WoW came out practically except EVE which is a borefest.  This is at least unique.

I am definitely going to preorder this one because I love the ideas, love the way it looks and the way they say it plays.  I love the  whole thing about involving politics into the game also, meaning you can fight for control of the government for rewards and stuff, that gives another bit of endgame PvP content other than just BG rewards alla WoW.  Plus, there are probably going to be big raids and such and the group play looks fantastic.  Nothing bad to say about the game from me.

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

Also,

"The group gameplay emphasizes teamwork, which is rewarding, but it could potentially become frustrating to players who have a streak of bad luck and end up with groups that don’t work well together. In some games a disjointed group may be frustrating, but often you can flub your way through the content. I’m not sure if that will be possible with TERA."

I think this reviewer is retarded.

every MMO is like this, but it seems like hes specifically tagging Tera as the only MMO that will have this problem.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

Hes saying that in other MMOs, you can clear the dungeons even with a fail group but that might not be the case in TERA, making puging a very frustrating experience.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Silverchild

Hes saying that in other MMOs, you can clear the dungeons even with a fail group but that might not be the case in TERA, making puging a very frustrating experience.

It could make it more frustrating, but it's either that or make dungeons soloable which I don't like the thought of.