Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cross Platform Gaming

BeanfieldBeanfield Member Posts: 53

I was just wondering if someone could explain why, in general, online games that are released on multiple platforms can't be played together. I mean, if a game comes out on PC, PS3, Xbox360, why can't they have it so everyone can play together? I know it's been done before. I don't know much about that stuff, but  I'm assuming there's a logical explanation, I just don't know what it is. Server management issues perhaps? Thanks.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Depends on the game but 99% of the time it will come down to controls, take a FPS a mouse + keyboard beats gamepad any day, most console games need to use some form of "snap to target" too.  The two control methods would mean it's imbalanced depending on your perspective.   A platform game a gamepad will probably win out, an RTS mouse and keyboard will win out, a beat'em'up gamepad will win out... and so on.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by expresso

Depends on the game but 99% of the time it will come down to controls, take a FPS a mouse + keyboard beats gamepad any day

Care to prove that?

I play on the PC with an XBox 360 controller, autoaim and mouse smoothing off, all the time and my kill/death ratio is the same as when I use a keyboard and mouse. But if you want to put your money where your mouth is....

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Depends on the game but 99% of the time it will come down to controls, take a FPS a mouse + keyboard beats gamepad any day

Care to prove that?

I play on the PC with an XBox 360 controller, autoaim and mouse smoothing off, all the time and my kill/death ratio is the same as when I use a keyboard and mouse. But if you want to put your money where your mouth is....

Ok lets fire up C&C4 you use your controller I'll use my keyboard and mouse. =D

My point stands the difference betwen the two control methods is vastly different over different games and genres.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Care to prove that?

My point stands the difference betwen the two control methods is vastly different over different games and genres.

touche

But for action games it really boils down to what you're more comfortable with. As time goes on, I'm liking the keyboard and mouse less and less.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Care to prove that?

touche

But for action games it really boils down to what you're more comfortable with. As time goes on, I'm liking the keyboard and mouse less and less.

Like or dislike, unless you're better than any person I've ever seen in Death Cam from MW2, you would be demolished by any decent player using a Keyboard and Mouse. 

I can't wait for that PS3 USB Keyboard and Mouse hookup to come out! :) I'm gonna piss some kiddies off on MW2. hehe

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Just wait for Dust 514.

Eleanor Rigby.

Originally posted by Treekodar

Just wait for Dust 514.

You mean the Xbox360 only game? lol

I get what you're saying though and it's a very very cool step into the future. God speed CCP

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by TheHatter

Just wait for Dust 514.

I get what you're saying though and it's a very very cool step into the future. God speed CCP

As far as i know its concole only not just a 360 exclusive.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Originally posted by TheHatter

Just wait for Dust 514.

As far as i know its concole only not just a 360 exclusive.

Oh hey! You're right! AWESOME!

I haven't been following it, because I thought it was 360 only. Now that it looks like it's going to be released on PS3, I'm way more interested. :)

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Not sure.  SE was able to do it with FFXI.  But the game had a VERY console feel to it when run on the PC, and infact, alot of PC FFXI players wound up using controllers for everytjing except chatting.

So I guess it kinda does boil down to controls.  PC's are definately at an advantage for gaming and controls.  We get all the options that consoles have, and more, where it seems that consoles are just now getting keyboards as optional equipment.

Be interesting to see the way things to with this whole 'motion control' buzz going on now. 

I'd love to get me hands on some motion controls for a PC with a good stereoscopic 3d setup...

Hmm.. shot off topic just a tad, but anyway.. When you develop a game only for PC, you pretty much have all options available to you.  The moment you add multiple platforms, you have to work within the largest subset of options available across all platforms, which is always smaller than the options available on any single platform.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

What I'm more interested is in to have one disc for all platforms, to take it even further i think it would be sweet if say i played 10 hours of the game on my pc and the next day i can continue my game on my ps3. I know its not that pausible right now but im pretty sure a lot of people would appreciate this addition.

• I admit I'm kind of depressed that I can't play Left4Dead 2 with my friends (they have Xbox, I have PC). I really wouldn't care if they couldn't aim half as well as I could, it would just be neat to play coop with them.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The thing to keep in mind is that the wonky part about FFXI's controls was the camera using the numpad. Everything else was menu-driven, which only needed the directional buttons and a key to accept an option or back out. This new one seems to use a traditional hotbar you must clicky-click in order to activate options, which suits PC, but now I question how it's going to work on consoles.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I am currently using Onlive (google it) and this allows me to play both console and PC games on my laptop. This is a new type of service that has a great potential. The idea of using a (lower spec) machine to play different consoles, as well as PC games without any of the hassles of  having to deal with the hardware myself.

This is a really interesting development for people that have good connections.