It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I decided I would look into this free to play thing and what they are offering, as I have played for quite a few years and know what its like to level up normally as a paying player. I figured if its free why not check it out. I'm shocked at what I found out, things that are going to be huge disapointments for people who decide to play for free, and here are the biggest disapointments right here:
1. 1 character slot / server. If you ever try your hand at crafting, you'll find out very quickly that you will need mules to store stuff on. Your definatly going to need moria to get the two extra character slots if your thinking of saving stuff.
2. 3 inventory bags. Your already fighting to stay on top of your inventory with five as a member, and now your really going to have to sell things, your probably more then likely going to have to choose which quest rewards you really really want to keep and which ones to toss. You may not want to start crafting till you have more bags and mules.
3. 2 Gold limit. This is perhaps one of the worst damaging gameplay thing to have happen to you. You can't even buy your mount at 35 for 2g. Your going to have to purchase a higher limit definatly if your thinking about even having a horse, and most gear thats really nice is going to cost you well over 2g each. This is going to probably be the biggest disapointment ever for any free player.
4. Limited Chat, Auction, Mail.
Chat - This is probably going to be unbearable. If your chat is limited and you cannot enter a global chat channel, it is going to be 100x harder to get a group then it was before, If you cannot give tells, your not going to get a party period. Im not sure what the limit on chat is going to be but these two things are going to destroy your chance to get a group to run something with.
Auction - Youll probably be able to live with this if your able to get someone to craft you gear, instead of going through the auction. Like I said earlier buying gear thats really good is going to be out of the question with a 2g cap on yourself.
Mail - Who cares, most of the mail you get will be spam from goldsellers anyways.
5. 1-2 trait slots of one type. This is going to kill your gameplay and perhaps makes this freeplay more of a demo then an actual game. Some builds require 5 of same type of trait to give you really great bonus's that will make your character worth fellowshiping with. Without the ability to build a trait set of 5, you will probably get you killed more times then not on instance runs. This will be a must purchase if your playing for free and I wouldnt be supprised if some fellowships try to avoid you if you don't have all type slots opened up.
My Conclusion -
Could you play like this and still progress normaly without any purchases? The answer for me would have to be no, I do not see how it is possible for people running around with only 2 gold, trying to fight mobs with only two trait types and never getting parties because of limited chat could progress normally without wanting to quit because of it. it would make the free play nothing more then a demo or trial in my eyes. Me as a vetren player would not even return to the game to even attempt playing at freeplay because of those restrictions.
While expansions are nice enough to let you progress higher, it should also include a lift on the restrictions I have also pointed out, as you level up.
* Purchasers of the Mines of Moria™ expansion get access to the Mines of Moria region and content, premium classes (Rune-Keeper and Warden), legendary items feature, Tier 6 crafting feature, 2 extra character slots and a level cap of 60. Purchasers of the Siege of Mirkwood™ expansion get access to the Siege of Mirkwood region and content, a level cap of 65 and the Siege of Mirkwood skirmishes.