Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next game after STO? You bet there is, and this is it.

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

After buying a lifetime and getting undetailed planets with same content in each instance and bodly going where no mini map has gone before, I have started my quest to find the next big space game that offers what STO has not given me.    My search is finally over, and I can say with great confidence that a new game is indeed taking place and is probably the best looking space game coming down the line.    I wish star trek would pick thier game designers better and hold thier standards for a space game higher..... but they dint..

This is the game I will be going to after STO has failed me epicly.

This is what I really wanted in a space game.  Its sad it wont have the star trek title to it.

Infinity: The Quest for Earth -  and you can find it on mmorpg.com also.

Part 1:

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhlQYFgLE

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=34

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Yeah...the guy working on this has done a great job.   You can transition smoothly from spce flight to atmospheric.    The planets are huge and totally seamless.    It may take a few more years since he pretty much creating this solo.   It really is an amazing accomplishment.   I think the game is suppose to be the true next "Elite".    Which is fine by me.   

Wonder when CCP will be adding player characters and atmospheric flight...this guy is catching up.  ^_^

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

Have very much fun with waiting for this. As far as i know it's a one man modding project based on Egosofts X3. And until this one is released we are playing on holo decks rather than pcs :)

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

yeah this is a beautiful project been following for few years now. the guy who is working on it is doing a stellar job. I am highly impressed with his work on this project.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by blubsterer

Have very much fun with waiting for this. As far as i know it's a one man modding project based on Egosofts X3. And until this one is released we are playing on holo decks rather than pcs :)

It isn't a modding project, the guy is building the engine all on his own and he's able to do that because he's relying heavily on procedural generation.

I agree with the OP, this is the type of gameplay I expected from STO, not the crap we got in the end. Oh well, STO will be dead soon anyway.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

[capslock] I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS TECHNOLOGY FOREVER! PRAISE THE GODS! [/capslock]

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

http://www.infinity-universe.com

I've been keeping an eye on this for a while now.  The author deserves a lot of respect for his accomplishments.  However, when I last checked, the project is far from being classed as anything resembling a "game".  The flight engine works (theres an old flight sim engine he made that is on his site somewhere), but all the usual "MMO" stuff is missing (or it was when I last checked).

The transition from land to space is a great accomlishment, but how this will translate into a fully functioning MMO is still unknown.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Why does he insist to work alone? By the time he's finished other big companies will already be there.

Originally posted by Edli

Why does he insist to work alone? By the time he's finished other big companies will already be there.

Technically he isn't working alone. He's gotten members of the community to design and build computer models for all the ships, buildings and space stations, and they've done a really great job.

Check out this tech demo video everyone, it looks amazing: http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=93

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36

The only thing I see here is ambition, something that none of the suit inside Cryptic/atari/CBS have. This game is like a dream and "I want to believe" it :)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Tarka

I've been keeping an eye on this for a while now.  The author deserves a lot of respect for his accomplishments.  However, when I last checked, the project is far from being classed as anything resembling a "game".  The flight engine works (theres an old flight sim engine he made that is on his site somewhere), but all the usual "MMO" stuff is missing (or it was when I last checked).

The transition from land to space is a great accomlishment, but how this will translate into a fully functioning MMO is still unknown. 

/agreed

It looks more like an engine that could more deal with Eve's weaknesses than STO's.  ST very rarely involved ships flying in atmosphere.  Transporters made most of that unnecessary.

Reminds me of a game from the mid 90's called Inferno, which was pretty innovative for its time.  Had "kinda" seamless transitions from planet to space-you pulled the nose up and went high throttle- you'd enter and emerge from some clouds and be in space; no loading screen.  Its many innovations came at the price of horrible AI and bad plotting:  I could bullseye a ship and still miss it.

For this engine to REALLY revolutionize gaming, it's gonna need to have detailed landscapes with animation and activity, not just polygons.  You need to be able to land your ship in an area of swaying trees and people walking around.  This is a terrific effort, but there's a long way to go before it becomes a game-changer.

• aaradunaaradun Member Posts: 91

Don't take me wrong, i hope i'm wrong. But this game as been in developemnt forever. And i really doubt it will ever be released. By the time it actually gets release there  will be probably be something 10x better out there. 

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Yep, for now it is a very good demo of land-space transition nothing more.  And lets not forget that it looks fine with just one ship, one planet, one station and one asteroid.  The dynamics of the equation change when you begin to include the standard elements that are needed before it can be truely classified as an MMO, which includes the interaction with other players.

Personally, I'd be very impressed if this guy managed to get the game to a "true" beta MMO standard before the end of next year.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by aaradun

Don't take me wrong, i hope i'm wrong. But this game as been in developemnt forever. And i really doubt it will ever be released. By the time it actually gets release there  will be probably be something 10x better out there. 

I remember watching the ingame photos of stalker long before it came out and I was so impressed. They delayed it so much that when it finally came out it was just ok, not really impressive.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by aaradun

Unless some game company with lots of money see's the potential in this and how it would make for a great bases for a sandbox game I seriously doubt you'll see any other company try to do what this guy is doing.    Like I said it may take a few more years for him to have a complete game - but his will be first on the market.

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

This game with the big team working on it and huge amount of money they have...will be ready for alpha testing in 50 years...

Originally posted by Robsolf

/agreed

It looks more like an engine that could more deal with Eve's weaknesses than STO's.  ST very rarely involved ships flying in atmosphere.  Transporters made most of that unnecessary.

Reminds me of a game from the mid 90's called Inferno, which was pretty innovative for its time.  Had "kinda" seamless transitions from planet to space-you pulled the nose up and went high throttle- you'd enter and emerge from some clouds and be in space; no loading screen.  Its many innovations came at the price of horrible AI and bad plotting:  I could bullseye a ship and still miss it.

For this engine to REALLY revolutionize gaming, it's gonna need to have detailed landscapes with animation and activity, not just polygons.  You need to be able to land your ship in an area of swaying trees and people walking around.  This is a terrific effort, but there's a long way to go before it becomes a game-changer.

The creator has said that there are no plans to have human avatars or people walking around. I think that's mainly because stuff like that is simply not in the scope of such a bare-bones dev team.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by blubsterer

It isn't a modding project, the guy is building the engine all on his own and he's able to do that because he's relying heavily on procedural generation.

I agree with the OP, this is the type of gameplay I expected from STO, not the crap we got in the end. Oh well, STO will be dead soon anyway.

K, call it total conversion or self developed, or anything you want. But this will not change anything. You can call yourself lucky if this is becoming a game before 2020.

Hell, if he's really talented, he will become a job in the game industry long before you will ever see something playable. So dream on :) I think it'll become another of those promising one man projects which never will be finished ....

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Robsolf

/agreed

There is one franchise, IMO, that could really use this type of transitional fight in gaming.

Star Wars

Can you imagine leaving the launch bay of a Star Destroyer in a TIE Bomber, streak down to a planet to do ground attack missions, then back to the ship?  Imagine what the possibility is for ground+air+space PvP image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

The thing about Infinity is that there's no actual game design. The guy in charge is a techy, not a designer. He keeps talking about huge procedural planets, free space travel, 500 billion planets etc, but i don't think he's thought about a) how many people who play such a game and b) how to get those people to play together.

A game is a game. Such a procedural game that he's making is much, much more suited for a singleplayer game ala Elite than an MMO.

Why?

Even if this game starts off as a huge hit and gets, say, 10 million subscribers. Where do they start? Assuming that the community somewhat stays together, wouldn't that be a complete waste of all that procedural stuff? Even if people spread out, that's 50000 planets per player. People would never, ever meet each other, especially if you can travel freely within space, let alone on planet surfaces.

EVE has 55,000 planets. Playing Infinity, if people would spread out about evenly, would be like playing EVE with no one else on the server, alone. Interesting, isn't it? And if people stay together, what's the point of all that space other than numbers?

So much space is just a theoretical excercise, it simply will not work as an MMO unless you get around 100 times the population of the entire planet Earth to play it.

I know i'm being a little vague, but i don't know how else to explain it. Infinity is not a game, it's an engine. It will never be a game untill the guy making it treats it as such.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

The thing about Infinity is that there's no actual game design. The guy in charge is a techy, not a designer. He keeps talking about huge procedural planets, free space travel, 500 billion planets etc, but i don't think he's thought about a) how many people who play such a game and b) how to get those people to play together.

Even if this game starts off as a huge hit and gets, say, 10 million subscribers. Where do they start? Assuming that the community somewhat stays together, wouldn't that be a complete waste of all that procedural stuff? Even if people spread out, that's 50000 planets per player. People would never, ever meet each other, especially if you can travel freely within space, let alone on planet surfaces.

EVE has 55,000 planets. Playing Infinity, if people would spread out about evenly, would be like playing EVE with no one else on the server, alone. Interesting, isn't it? And if people stay together, what's the point of all that space other than numbers?

So much space is just a theoretical excercise, it simply will not work as an MMO unless you get around 100 times the population of the entire planet Earth to play it.

I know i'm being a little vague, but i don't know how else to explain it. Infinity is not a game, it's an engine. It will never be a game untill the guy making it treats it as such.

No matter how many play, a majority will group together because thats where all the "stuff" is goin on, and others will bee fascinated with finding that 500 billionth planet.  And the beuty of the design is both groups will get what they want from it.

What I do see as a problem is if everyone wants to play in the exact same area and the game crawls to a halt on even the most beefy systems.