Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets talk pvp

2»

Comments

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by Masa1

I fear that they'll stick with only normal (PvE) servers.

Some of you are talking about the Mists area, but it's not really a big deal. It's just a huge PvP arena: the only difference seems to be that players can join and leave freely. It's not even anything new... remember the Wilderness the infamous runescape HAD? GW2 is going to have a super nerfed version of it, no risks, no excitement.. only plain old team pvp. Even the shitty WAR has such system.

It's really funny.. Carebears and children are trying to get more mature players into carebear games / servers. On the other hand, those mature PvP loving players also want to spend time with carebears and children in a PvP server: Scaring and killing them.

So why don't you drop that crap about "no PvP server should exist". It's up to Arena.Net to decide that. Still.. There's like a 99% chance that carebears will win. That 1% is just my hope, please don't crush it.

/facepalm

Not only does that not seem at all accurate based on what tiny information they have released about The Mists yet, but they haven't even gone into a full detailed interview or Q&A about The MIsts and PvP in general for you to be able to make such an assumption. Basicall we know it will be 3 servers competing against eachother (i believe they mentioned on like a weekly cycle), and we will be fighting for control of resources and other objectives, and these things will impact the servers involved (such as rewards for the winning server at the end of the week). From the way they're setting this up, it seems to me they may also be aiming to set it up as, or at least allow the possibility for somewhat of a tournament system perhaps with seasonal ladders between the servers.

Outside of The Mists in the open world, as someone else already mentioned, we will constantly have the Dynamic Event System going on, and it just plain won't work properly with open PvP servers. Dynamic Events will scale to the numbe rof people in the area, so just think what would happen if you have 1 group of people doing the events, and another group trying to PvP, it completely throws of fthe scaling of the events and causes everything in PvE to become twice as difficult, while also getting attacked by other players. That would result in lots of fail for the game. Think a little about what the game is and how it designed before spouting off about things like open world PvP just for the sake of having it when it doesnt work well with the rest of the game at all. You will have plenty of large scale PvP going on if that's what you'r elooking for and it will actually be against people who are tehre for the exact same reason, to PvP, rather than running up on a group of people and ganking them when they're doing other things. If you cant handle fair PvP against groups of people actually looking for  PvP as well, i'd say that makes you even more of a "carebear" than the others, or whatever you could call someone who's even more afraid of REAL PvP than a carebear... im sure i could think of a few names for it, but i'll be nice.

1st part: I'm already aware of all of those objectives and stuff. I've also read that there will be no neutral enemies in there. To simplify things: It's just a huge arena.

2nd part: /DOUBLE facepalm

Just when I was talking about carebears and children trying to force us to live without PKing risk, you actually come and and write a wall of text, trying to recommend that %#¤#" to me.

There's so much fail in your wall of text... I'll try to list some:

-Dynamic events do NOT make PKing impossible.

-If it's a PvP server it's supposed to be more difficult. Players who like PKing won't have issues with it.

-PvP server doesn't fit with the rest of the game? I don't see ANY REAL reasons why the hell not.

-There are no risk in large scale PvP. No surprise PKing (because the whole area has been blessed for PvP). It is NOT enough.

-It's not all about ganging newbies. It's about the danger of being PKed by other players.

So why do you hate a seperate PvP server so much? I can pretty much know already: You want to force us to live without PvP OR you don't want that developers spend a couple of weeks making a code required for PvP server. There's a serious flaw in your way of thinking.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

/snip

/snip

1st part: I'm already aware of all of those objectives and stuff. I've also read that there will be no neutral enemies in there. To simplify things: It's just a huge arena.

Just when I was talking about carebears and children trying to force us to live without PKing risk, you actually come and and write a wall of text, trying to recommend that %#¤#" to me.

-If it's a PvP server it's supposed to be more difficult. Players who like PKing won't have issues with it.

-PvP server doesn't fit with the rest of the game? I don't see ANY REAL reasons why the hell not.

-There are no risk in large scale PvP. No surprise PKing (because the whole area has been blessed for PvP). It is NOT enough.

-It's not all about ganging newbies. It's about the danger of being PKed by other players.

So why do you hate a seperate PvP server so much? I can pretty much know already: You want to force us to live without PvP OR you don't want that developers spend a couple of weeks making a code required for PvP server. There's a serious flaw in your way of thinking.

You're getting completely the wrong impression. Im actually a very avid PvPer, it's my #1 reason for playing MMOs and other online games, and i originally started out with FPS games for the competetive style. So don't get me wrong, im abotu as far from a  carebear as you can get and I would prefer open PvP as well, but with the way the game is being designed it simply won't fit into the game.

1st part: I'm already aware of all of those objectives and stuff. I've also read that there will be no neutral enemies in there. To simplify things: It's just a huge arena. It's far from a simple arena, it will be a pretty massive area with actual important objectives to complete, not simply killing other players.

-Dynamic events do NOT make PKing impossible. No it doesn't make it "impossible", but you're completely missing the point of what i was saying about the DES. Basically, it won't even be YOU doing the PKing. When you enter the area, the mobs do not stay the same, they will get tougher and more numerous due to you entering the area, already making things more difficult for the people involved in PvE. It will be those stronge rmobs that will do most of the work, and you will just be helping finish off what little is left. Not to mention, even wiithout the dynamic scaling, what you're wanting is not PvP, it's PvEvP.

-If it's a PvP server it's supposed to be more difficult. Players who like PKing won't have issues with it. The Mists could basically be considered a PvP only server with no PvE. It sounds to me like what you want is the ability to grief and gank the unwary & preoccupied not actually PvP against other PvPers.

-PvP server doesn't fit with the rest of the game? I don't see ANY REAL reasons why the hell not. (see above about the Dynamic Events System) Also, this is not a faction vs faction game or anything like that, everyone on your server is on your side, except for in the arenas which are for sport. The only "enemy" players are the people from other servers/worlds... which you will be fighting in the Mists.

-There are no risk in large scale PvP. No surprise PKing (because the whole area has been blessed for PvP). It is NOT enough. No risk? It sounds to me like you're trying to avoid as much risk as possible by asking that they allow you to PK people who are in the middle of doing other things and unable to fight back. If you were any good at PvP you would be well aware that even when expecting PvP to happen there is still plenty of risk and chance for surprise. Its called strategy & tactics, things like setting ambushes, using decoys to draw the enemies focus, catching people offguard while taking objectives, etc. As I said in another thread, I'm really hoping they set the Mists up in a way that allows solo PvPers to have their fun too and be able to surprise enemies rather than it being all about who has a bigger zerg. Personally, i prefer smaller numbers & superior tactics to having un unskilled zerg.

-It's not all about ganging newbies. It's about the danger of being PKed by other players. As I said above, in THIS game the DES makes it less about being PKed in the first place, it causes increased difficulty to PvE on top of the risk of PK.

So why do you hate a seperate PvP server so much? I can pretty much know already: You want to force us to live without PvP OR you don't want that developers spend a couple of weeks making a code required for PvP server. There's a serious flaw in your way of thinking. (see first part of my post again)

TLDR version: There are various reasons why PvP servers & open PvP simply do not work or fit into the design of THIS game. Yes it works in other games with different features and different overall designs for both PvP and PvE, but you are simply demanding open PvP for the sake of open PvP without considering the consequences of it and how it will effect non-PvP things like the DES. I love open PvP too, but it simply does not belong in some games, and this is one of those games.

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

Actually just to address these points all you really have to say is that the biggest part of the core game mechanics that have so far been announced (the Dynamic Events System) pretty much means that an open PvP server would be an untenable solution to anyone but a max level player who wishes to only PvP.

Kaiser pretty much explained why. Open PvP and the DES simply do not mix and seeing that Arenanet has put so much effort into a truly innovative system that will hopefully push this genre of gaming forwards then I doubt they would destroy it by making certain servers where all that hard work is undermined by the wish to gank people.

You can throw supposedly derogatory terms around all you like but in this case the game mechanics are what put a damper on the wish for open pvp. Not people wanting to be left alone (as separate servers solves that problem).

You do not seem willing to accept this. It is not that people think that ganking is bad, it's just that it doesnt appear as if this game will even lend itself to that mechanic withou breaking some pretty important other parts of the game.

Of course Arenanet could do a great many things and we may see PvP servers, I honestly couldn't care. But with the way they have described the Mists area and their server rivalry I think it makes it even less likely that we will see server segregation. They seem to be building their game to suit everyone (even small scale arena-like pvp is going to be supported) on the one type of server, with possibly the exception of an extremely small section of the entire MMO community. You are in the tiny tiny tiny minority. Sorry but thats just the way it is.

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

http://conjurephantasm.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/guild-wars-2-what-we-know/#two-pvp-game-types

I don't know why people keep forgetting about this page. It's not full of details from the past few months information releases, but it goes over the basics of what to expect, and can quickly answer the OP's question.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

I just want that tournament PVP back.  So fun and tactical. 

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

/snip

/snip

You're getting completely the wrong impression. Im actually a very avid PvPer, it's my #1 reason for playing MMOs and other online games, and i originally started out with FPS games for the competetive style. So don't get me wrong, im abotu as far from a  carebear as you can get and I would prefer open PvP as well, but with the way the game is being designed it simply won't fit into the game.

1st part: I'm already aware of all of those objectives and stuff. I've also read that there will be no neutral enemies in there. To simplify things: It's just a huge arena. It's far from a simple arena, it will be a pretty massive area with actual important objectives to complete, not simply killing other players.

-Dynamic events do NOT make PKing impossible. No it doesn't make it "impossible", but you're completely missing the point of what i was saying about the DES. Basically, it won't even be YOU doing the PKing. When you enter the area, the mobs do not stay the same, they will get tougher and more numerous due to you entering the area, already making things more difficult for the people involved in PvE. It will be those stronge rmobs that will do most of the work, and you will just be helping finish off what little is left. Not to mention, even wiithout the dynamic scaling, what you're wanting is not PvP, it's PvEvP.

-If it's a PvP server it's supposed to be more difficult. Players who like PKing won't have issues with it. The Mists could basically be considered a PvP only server with no PvE. It sounds to me like what you want is the ability to grief and gank the unwary & preoccupied not actually PvP against other PvPers.

-PvP server doesn't fit with the rest of the game? I don't see ANY REAL reasons why the hell not. (see above about the Dynamic Events System) Also, this is not a faction vs faction game or anything like that, everyone on your server is on your side, except for in the arenas which are for sport. The only "enemy" players are the people from other servers/worlds... which you will be fighting in the Mists.

-There are no risk in large scale PvP. No surprise PKing (because the whole area has been blessed for PvP). It is NOT enough. No risk? It sounds to me like you're trying to avoid as much risk as possible by asking that they allow you to PK people who are in the middle of doing other things and unable to fight back. If you were any good at PvP you would be well aware that even when expecting PvP to happen there is still plenty of risk and chance for surprise. Its called strategy & tactics, things like setting ambushes, using decoys to draw the enemies focus, catching people offguard while taking objectives, etc. As I said in another thread, I'm really hoping they set the Mists up in a way that allows solo PvPers to have their fun too and be able to surprise enemies rather than it being all about who has a bigger zerg. Personally, i prefer smaller numbers & superior tactics to having un unskilled zerg.

-It's not all about ganging newbies. It's about the danger of being PKed by other players. As I said above, in THIS game the DES makes it less about being PKed in the first place, it causes increased difficulty to PvE on top of the risk of PK.

So why do you hate a seperate PvP server so much? I can pretty much know already: You want to force us to live without PvP OR you don't want that developers spend a couple of weeks making a code required for PvP server. There's a serious flaw in your way of thinking. (see first part of my post again)

TLDR version: There are various reasons why PvP servers & open PvP simply do not work or fit into the design of THIS game. Yes it works in other games with different features and different overall designs for both PvP and PvE, but you are simply demanding open PvP for the sake of open PvP without considering the consequences of it and how it will effect non-PvP things like the DES. I love open PvP too, but it simply does not belong in some games, and this is one of those games.

You completely ignored my point of view and turned my sentences upside down. I guess that it's better to discuss with a brick wall.

Short answer: Open PvP works if it's made properly. Your blaablaablaa about PvP not working in GW2 is just a wet dream.

Enjoy your carebear land.