Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player what class?

Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what class a new player should roll?  I  know with a game this established in the end game might have to many of a class already IE  tanks,melee dps.  What would be a good class to lvl up with and also not have a problem getting into a group.  ( i should say i am not the healing typ, this takes a special kind of person)  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

What are you looking for?

Explain what you are interested in, what role you like, and people will be better able to help you.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

as what the previous post stated, give us a little bit more information as to what you like to do, how you play, and what you think would suit you the best so we could help you narrow down your choices :]

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

One thing I have noticed is that in the 80+ channel....I see an awful lot of requests for troubadors and dirges.  That being said....I have a level 54 troub, and I don't find them particularly simple to play or easy to level with outside of groups. Of course you CAN....I just think flying solo with a class that is so especially suited to groups, just isn't quite as simple as say the hybrid class are, or the super high dps classes (like necros and SKs).  However, there are more SKs and necros than there are people in the known universe, so....I don't think there is an extreme "need" for them.

My pat answer to your question would be....roll "baby characters" of a few classes that sound interesting to you. Play them all to level 20 or so, and then go with whichever really appeals to you the most.

The AA customization of the classes makes them really fun. Don't cut yourself short on AAs. They are what make EVERY class much more powerful and fun.

People group all the time throughout all the levels, at least on Everfrost, so....don't be afraid to just roll something that you find fun to play.  At the same time...if you like to solo...it can definitely be done, but as I said....DO NOT cut yourself short on AAs.  They are like "eating your Wheaties."   /flex

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

if you're worried about getting into groups, roll a bard (Troub or Dirge) or chanter (Illusionist or Coercer).   Shaman or Cleric are also a good choice, but you've stated you don't want to heal.  definitely DO NOT roll a tank.    Other DPS classes are okay, bard or chanter will ensure you get into groups and raids easily even if you have no skills or good gear.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by arieste

if you're worried about getting into groups, roll a bard (Troub or Dirge) or chanter (Illusionist or Coercer).   Shaman or Cleric are also a good choice, but you've stated you don't want to heal.  definitely DO NOT roll a tank.    Other DPS classes are okay, bard or chanter will ensure you get into groups and raids easily even if you have no skills or good gear.

Yup...as I said....I totally agree. Plus you had a couple of good suggestions besides the bard classes of troubador and dirge. YAY, You! =D

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Thanks guys,

I should have said, i like to group, i like dps, tanking is my favorit thing to do but as i have read there are a LOT of tanks. Dirge sounds interesting.

How are there bruiser/ monk class's in this game?

Originally posted by Valgar1

hardest to get a group with.   good at soloing.  almost non-existent.

The problem with tanks is this:   EQ2 is very tank-dependant.  The quality of the tank pretty much determines the quality of the group or raid you're in.  You can have crap healing, crap dps and a great tank will make up for both of those 95% of the time.  NOTHING makes up for a crap tank.  Also, no group needs 2 tanks.  Ever.    2 healers sometimes, 2 dps sometimes, 2 utility (bard/chanter) most often.   1 tank - always.    Raids need 2 or 3 on occassion.    

Now, due to the above, the tank that gets in is the best tank.  The best player, with the best gear.  So if you're a newbie dps or healer or utility - people don't really care.  If you're a newbie tank, you'll destroy the group and no one wants you.  Good tanks have the easiest time finding groups.  But there are like 5-10 of them on the server and unless you're extremely confident that  you can be one of them, you're better off not rolling one. 

Bruisers and Monks CAN be amazing.  My (well-populated) server has about 2-3 good ones.  That's it.  TWO or THREE.  Everyone else either sucks or has quit.   It's a hard life.  

This is just advice of course.  If you're good at your class, you don't have to worry about what class you play.  This is just if you want to make it easier on yourself.   Personally i find bards pretty boring to play, but many others don't, also they are annoying to solo with.  Chanters are better dps and better soloing, just as useful.  Depends on whether you want a scout or a mage really.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

Thanks Aries,

Last befor i make my pick , i was reading about the inquisiter, I know i said i hate healing, but they seem more then just a healr.   Whats the story with them?

Thanks Aries,

Last befor i make my pick , i was reading about the inquisiter, I know i said i hate healing, but they seem more then just a healr.   Whats the story with them?

in EQ2, every healer's #1 job is to heal.  While some are more adept at DPS than others, none in EQ2 are really hybrid classes.  Furies can nuke extremely well, but no one ever invites a fury for nukes.  Inquisitors hit stuff with a hammer while healing, but again, they're invited to heal, not to hit stuff with a hammer.  If you don't like healing, don't pick a healer in EQ2.

- Raph Koster

• NikusaNikusa Member UncommonPosts: 1

What class is this at around 1:10?

If a class at all... Sorry if its a silly question but I stumbled upon it while searching for a class to play.

impossible to tell, could be any of the scout classes or guard/zerker - any of the classes that can dual wield basically.   the only thing that may give it away is one of the weapons, but i don't recognize either as an epic, so i don't think they're class-specific.    This also looks like it's shot on really high quality, so things look really good.

- Raph Koster

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Thanks Aries,

Dont roll and Inquisitor for any other reason than being primary healer. 

A defiler will never do any decent amount of DPS and are used for wards (damage absorbs) that count as healing.  Great addition for any group for any purpose but are difficult to solo.

Wardens are the Seconday/Primary Healers, with great cures.  For PVP they do quite well with a Healer/Defense specc, and are incredibly hard to bring down, however lacking in the DPS department.  They make great flag runners/relic holders in BG's.  Some people on the PVP servers go with a melee warden, and they seem to be decent in pvp, but dont have much use in a group role.

Fury's are wardens minus group healing/cures add dps.  They are pretty terrible healers and are best as a seconday healer / secondary DD.  Very populair class because they are pretty easy to solo and small group with.  For large groups your not very usefull at anything. 

Dirge isnt a primary DD melee class (you mentioned liking them before)  Dirge's primary use is passive buffing, along with troubador (for casters though).  What you will be doing most is auto attacking and CC stuns ect.  THey are a great addition to any pvp activity and their buffs are great, making them populair in large and small groups.  Soloing with them isnt easy.  Great in BG's and pvp for their ability to spam stuns.

For tank like classes, bruiser and monk may or may not have much use in pve raid content, but they are great in PVP groups.  They have some pretty solid DD in pvp, they have survivability, and they have some stuns.  Tank classes in PVP have use as PVP aggro holders, meaning in a large PVP battle (BG's unless your on a pvp server) they can cast taunts and cause enemy pvp;ers target to change to you.  Really annoying if your trying to kill that nearly dead priest and your not paying attention, youll end up spamming DD onto bottomless HP pits rather than weaker targets.

Best advice is to roll many characters to level 20.  Its not hard and by 20 youll have a good idea how they play.  I suggest rolling one of each type.  Ask in game for help with AA.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone,

I have decided to go with the dirge.  Any tips would be welcome )

Thanks for all the feedback everyone,

I have decided to go with the dirge.  Any tips would be welcome )

Dirges truly shine in groups and at later levels.  Don't be surprised if every other class seems to be killing faster than you and doing everything else better than you, this doesn't mean you suck.   Your role shines at making other people better.  Every single group wants a dirge, few of the other classes can say that.  

- Raph Koster

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by arieste

hardest to get a group with.   good at soloing.  almost non-existent.

The problem with tanks is this:   EQ2 is very tank-dependant.  The quality of the tank pretty much determines the quality of the group or raid you're in.  You can have crap healing, crap dps and a great tank will make up for both of those 95% of the time.  NOTHING makes up for a crap tank.  Also, no group needs 2 tanks.  Ever.    2 healers sometimes, 2 dps sometimes, 2 utility (bard/chanter) most often.   1 tank - always.    Raids need 2 or 3 on occassion.    

Now, due to the above, the tank that gets in is the best tank.  The best player, with the best gear.  So if you're a newbie dps or healer or utility - people don't really care.  If you're a newbie tank, you'll destroy the group and no one wants you.  Good tanks have the easiest time finding groups.  But there are like 5-10 of them on the server and unless you're extremely confident that  you can be one of them, you're better off not rolling one. 

Bruisers and Monks CAN be amazing.  My (well-populated) server has about 2-3 good ones.  That's it.  TWO or THREE.  Everyone else either sucks or has quit.   It's a hard life.  

This is just advice of course.  If you're good at your class, you don't have to worry about what class you play.  This is just if you want to make it easier on yourself.   Personally i find bards pretty boring to play, but many others don't, also they are annoying to solo with.  Chanters are better dps and better soloing, just as useful.  Depends on whether you want a scout or a mage really.

It's posts like this that hurt the community quality of any mmo. It is really really sad when someone tries to claim that there are so few good players on their server that they have the arrogance to try to claim there is only 1 or 2 worth inviting to a group. Whatever happened to playing a game for *gasp* fun? Instead of trying to act elitist, and try to make it hard for others to get group invites. They should share their "knowledge" and teach others of their class to be able to get just as many invites. 

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Thanks Aries,

Dont roll and Inquisitor for any other reason than being primary healer. 

A defiler will never do any decent amount of DPS and are used for wards (damage absorbs) that count as healing.  Great addition for any group for any purpose but are difficult to solo.

Wardens are the Seconday/Primary Healers, with great cures.  For PVP they do quite well with a Healer/Defense specc, and are incredibly hard to bring down, however lacking in the DPS department.  They make great flag runners/relic holders in BG's.  Some people on the PVP servers go with a melee warden, and they seem to be decent in pvp, but dont have much use in a group role.

Fury's are wardens minus group healing/cures add dps.  They are pretty terrible healers and are best as a seconday healer / secondary DD.  Very populair class because they are pretty easy to solo and small group with.  For large groups your not very usefull at anything. 

Dirge isnt a primary DD melee class (you mentioned liking them before)  Dirge's primary use is passive buffing, along with troubador (for casters though).  What you will be doing most is auto attacking and CC stuns ect.  THey are a great addition to any pvp activity and their buffs are great, making them populair in large and small groups.  Soloing with them isnt easy.  Great in BG's and pvp for their ability to spam stuns.

For tank like classes, bruiser and monk may or may not have much use in pve raid content, but they are great in PVP groups.  They have some pretty solid DD in pvp, they have survivability, and they have some stuns.  Tank classes in PVP have use as PVP aggro holders, meaning in a large PVP battle (BG's unless your on a pvp server) they can cast taunts and cause enemy pvp;ers target to change to you.  Really annoying if your trying to kill that nearly dead priest and your not paying attention, youll end up spamming DD onto bottomless HP pits rather than weaker targets.

Best advice is to roll many characters to level 20.  Its not hard and by 20 youll have a good idea how they play.  I suggest rolling one of each type.  Ask in game for help with AA.

Even though that may be true, Inquisitor has a sick damage dealing capability if played well. Against any type of rogue they really shine, damn stun immune bastards...

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

With EQ2 I never noticed a problem getting a group though I never hit max level (alt-itis with that game) but as another poster sugest roll your self a toon of each race class that you think you might be intrested in. The game is a lot of fun, very deep and has a good community so dont strees to hard on trying to roll the least common or most valued class you wont be left out to dry at least not from what I remimber (been 6m or so since I played )