Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Hands On With the Sith Warrior

Comments

• NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I would like to like this game, but... as many others who have played MMOs for a few years... it really does look like the same old thing :(

A story could drag me in. I thought Dragon Age was great, whilst I could barely get into Mass Effect (view bob didn't help!).

But I wonder when someone will actually do something different. I just think that after you've played a few games for 3-6 months each... which follow the same kind of formula then every new one just seems to get more and more boring.

I expect I'll buy this one, but don't expect to last longer than a month.

MMOs need a big shake-up. I think part of the problem is that it takes soooo long just to get the basics there... and then companies think that their game is worthy of a release. Something new please!

• DeathstinyDeathstiny Member Posts: 386

11 million people have been waiting for that. Sorry that you and the other 23 people have not.

Deliver that, make it Star Wars and add the part the OP skipped (story) and I like MANY others will be happy.

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

i don't think there's any defense of how the fanbois are acting in their blind rage here. garrett is reporting his thoughts on the game and everyone is too dumb to understand what he writes or misinterprets it on purpose to create straw man arguments they can bash.

fact is his experience with the gameplay (other than story) so far just confirms what we've already seen in the actual gameplay footage (not the contstructed gameplay footage we see from bios vids) - that the combat is bland, generic and less visceral and with worse animations than WoW.

if you want to compete with wow you need gameplay thats at least as good. otherwise people will flock to your game because of the hype and then just leave again after the free month runs out, like we see with aoc, war, aion etc.

maybe bioware will get there in a year when they're done with the game... but right now they still have a long way to go.

and again.. it's difficult to believe how dumb most of these responses are... it's like any negative opinion makes them just see red and lose their ability to think.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I love how everyone is bashing the combat system, or the graphic's or the progression.  Because none of you have played it.  You read a review and take it to heart.  

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189

Its nice to finally have some info about how the game plays. Also by watching the group play video and seeing a Jedi Counsler just stand in the back, light saber drawn, and spam heals without fighting, helped to dispel the image that this MMO might be different from the others. It won't. It'll probably have a fantastic story element to it, but it doesn't seem like combat, graphics, or progression wise that it will be any different from WoW.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Game wil basically come down to this:

Are you into little green goblins and midgets? Gnomes. You like minatuar is that your thing half man cow?  You like bow and arrow? Magic wands?

I mean, if that is what floats your boat.

This game may have some things in common with WoW as the reviewer is insinuating.. only after playing 15 min on level 1-3 or so...

But it is an mmo i expect that it will have plenty in common with other mmo's and some things that may be different to give it it's own brand of style.

I for one am going to try the game out, sounds more appealing than flamboyant feary elves and goblins. That just isn't my thing. I like guns blasters, sabers, space ships,  TO each their own I suppose, but def this game has my attention.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

The writer reminds me of someone who would go to Ruth's Chris Steak House and gobble down his entree in 60 seconds.

http://ruthschris.com/Menu

And then say, "well that was a very mediocre experience, it's just like eating a McChicken Sandwich, put it in your mouth and chew.  No doubt the rest of the meal will be the same.  I was expecting something wonderous."

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by NinjaGaz

MMOs need a big shake-up. I think part of the problem is that it takes soooo long just to get the basics there... and then companies think that their game is worthy of a release. Something new please!

I do agree that for some inexplicable reason MMO developers have seemed to focus more on "gimmicks" and "features" than actually getting the foundation right for the game before bolting such things on.  They try so hard to set themselves apart that they actually end up being similar in the fact that none since WoW have actually managed to take the very basic elements that many expect in an MMO, and then refine and polish them.  I'm not saying WoW is perfect, far from it, but no one can deny what it did well.

Likewise, Bioware have the chance to do it right.  But they can easily make the same mistakes as all the others:  focusing too hard on the unique "features" of SWTOR before actually getting the foundation right. 

Of course, no guarantees can be made.  It doesn't matter how big you are, you can still mess up your next product.  Just ask Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid.

• imthatguyimthatguy Member Posts: 2

I'm not trying to sound like a Bioware fanboy, but from a guy who knows his Star Wars lore and has extensive MMO experience my unbiased opinion of this guy is...

1. He is an idiot. Darth Maul was an inquisitor, not a warrior. From the beginning of his review it is clear he already has his own idea as to what the game-play is like.

2. He clearly did not care for the story. He said it was good but he just decided to skip everything with a space bar, essentially making everything go-here do-this in his eyes.

3. He makes an assumption that because this is an MMO people will skip story just so they can get their gear faster. He clearly has no idea what kind of fan-base this game is attracting, evident from this forum. He clearly thinks the main audience is WoW-junkies.

4. Keeps QQing about not getting to fight enemies with blasters. He does not realize this is a starting area on A SITH PLANET WHERE SITH FORCE-USERS ARE TRAINED. Even if there are runaway Sith on the planet they most likely will have a lightsaber instead of a blaster. The reviewer clearly thinks 100% of the game will be jedi vs stormtrooper battles like in the movies.

Overall the reviewer already had locked in his mind an idea of what the class would be like. He seemed to think that anything that contradicted what he thought the class and starting zone was going to be like was bad. And most importantly, he thought he knew what the target audience was. This is a Bioware game, not a Blizzard game.

Please, reviewer, go back to playing your goddamn FPS's like the casual you are.  You clearly can't respect good story and lore combined with good combat. If you want some over-the-top Movie-Like Star Wars combat go play the Force Unleashed.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Originally posted by imthatguy

I'm not trying to sound like a Bioware fanboy, but from a guy who knows his Star Wars lore and has extensive MMO experience my unbiased opinion of this guy is...

1. He is an idiot. Darth Maul was an inquisitor, not a warrior. From the beginning of his review it is clear he already has his own idea as to what the game-play is like.

Tell me one time Darth Maul used force lightning in the movies. Oh wait, he didn't! Darth Maul is a warrior, just because he has a staff saber doesn't mean hes in inquisitor. You are clearly "an idiot".

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's an opinion of the personal level. Fun is quite a relative factor. No need to bash the OP, but I neither see the article as informative in any way.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I find it to be a bad omen to see this zealousy coming from some of the fans anticipating SWTOR, reading stuff like this.

Using the argument that the person is doing it wrong because he skipped the story parts, has no merits against the fact that he did not seem to enjoy the gameplay, and it was hard to get the impression that he felt "heroric" from the Start, as claimed by the developers.

The real deal here is that he did not enjoy himself. I find it absolutely hilarious, that you who have not even tried it - Bash someone who HAS tried it.

It's a game. That's all. And this guy was not entertained. Dismissing it as him doing it wrong, or like the gameplay mechanics themselfs will turn into something much better is completely ignorant.

With this sort of fans, this game will fall. Using the games emphasis on story as a scapegoat, to allow it to suck in other areas is a bad idea.

Having been on this side for years, one thing has come clear - The majority of users and staffers, are tired of the standard MMO setup, and would like something else than WoW in new clothes and with a real story.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

no different from the fan boys of many games, including wow. There are just more passionate  star wars fans.

And the use of the word "for those who are expecting awesomeness, SORRY!!!"

well, if you skip all the awesomeness and only have 15 minutes to paly and have to rush through the demo , well you really cannot make a fair assessment of how the game will turn out. He really didn't have time to take it all in. Do I blame the reviewer?  not really, BW should allow people to play the game longer than 15 minutes if they know that they are media heads that are gonna be making a review that may impact others decision on whether or not they choose to get this game.

On second, to assume that the whole game is the same as all the others just from the little amount of time that was allocated, that is not fair to the game itself.

Reviewer should have described the game said what he likes and did not like, but without adding all the "oh this game is just like every other mmo, and sorry no awesomeness" you didnt have time to see the awesomeness.

Another thing there are plenty of games that i have played that have or do not have a good story line and they seem boring at the first part. Wow does not have a real story line , I have no idea what the whole war is about, and the beginning and even some parts still are a /yawn fest.

Aion on the other hand, yea the beginning was boring , but then again they had that epic story line that made you want more, then the rest gets better. When 2.0 comes out it will be perfect for some time.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I am going to make one quick remark and that will be all. A true journalist or reviewer who has a heart for the job will review and challenge everything he sees and hears whether he likes all aspects of the subject or not. He/she is to take in or try all that is given to the individual then report his/hers findings. If that person did not experience it, due to limitations or simply didnt want to bother with it because its not there cup of tea, then that reviewer cant form an opinion on that subject. A journalist or reviewer is the eyes and ears of the public. They are the publics mediums to the sources of material we cant readily get our hands on.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

While I agree its stupid that he skipped through one of the main aspects of the game, hes giving us a typical mmo players view point. I don't know a single person who actually reads quest dialogue more than 10% of the time, and I can't imagine this game to be impervious to a bunch of 13 year old kiddies wanting to be "teh uberist jedi!", right away. Although saying that the class is lacking when he only has like 3 skills (assumption) at that level, was a low blow.

• Database82Database82 Member Posts: 179

I would have to agree with the majority on this one the reviewer definitely let me down with his review. He was too busy trying to blow through the demo to try and model himself after Darth Maul that he neglected the one thing that Bioware is well known for; its dialogue.  It annoyed me that the reviewer was just complaining about how underpowered he was from the get-go having to fight slugs and random garbage mobs, I just gotta say that every hero/villain has to start somewhere. Your man crush Darth Maul probably wasn't super badass using dual bladed lightsabers from the start it likely took lots of practice and time. Samething can be said about a padawan or apprentice, when you first start off it would be ridiculous if they just tossed you in against 2 jedi knights/sith. I just honestly think that this needs to be reviewed by someone who actually appreciates good story telling and dialogue.

Current MMO: Aion
    MMO Watch: Warhammer 40k Online, SWToR, GW2.
    Played: Planetside, SWG, EQ, EQ2, L2, WoW, RFO, KAL, MxO, Voyage, RO,Vanguard,Tabula Rasa, Horizons, CoH/CoV,, Lotro, FFXI
    First MMO: Everquest (Tunare Server, Ronin/Tide Guild)

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

woo...people are being a little bit too harsh on reviewer

but on the other hand, skipping the dialog system is like skipping the RPG aspect in Mass Effect or Dragon age. and said ME is just another tps or DA is just another typical RPG(in a way, it is,but DA is still awesome)

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

maybe developers should just make better games if they want to impress people

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

woo...people are being a little bit too harsh on reviewer
    but on the other hand, skipping the dialog system is like skipping the RPG aspect in Mass Effect or Dragon age. and said ME is just another tps or DA is just another typical RPG(in a way, it is,but DA is still awesome)

Well, to be honest I think one of the main things I would want to get out of playing SWTOR is an immersive story. As an article writer to just skip all the txt as dull and say that you think the game a disappointment because everyone will just try to skip through the game to the end to play a WoW style raiding endgame is just poor stuff. Yes the graphics are cartoon in style, but I don't think Bioware are going for WoW in space here. A good thing too as I just feel that SWTOR will offer something new in terms of an immersive player environment.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You know Garrett, you come off as a very impatient kid in this article.  Just reading it made me shudder at your attitude when playing this game.

You come off as one of those horrible players that only want to get to end game and whine when they get there because there is not enough to do because they missed 90% of the content in getting there.

All I can say is take some time and grow up, enjoy getting someplace.

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Ozmodan

You know Garrett, you come off as a very impatient kid in this article.  Just reading it made me shudder at your attitude when playing this game.

You come off as one of those horrible players that only want to get to end game and whine when they get there because there is not enough to do because they missed 90% of the content in getting there.

All I can say is take some time and grow up, enjoy getting someplace.

You know Ozmodan, you come off as a very bitter and jaded kid in this reply. Just reading it made me shudder at your attitude towards the author.

You come off as one of those horrible people that only want to rush through an article,  put forth no thought as to why the review may have been the way it was and scold the writer. 

All I an say is take some time and grow up, and you too could stop being an anonymous forum goer and write articles instead. 

• justandulasjustandulas Member Posts: 165

So let me get this straight, this guy gets PAID for this review? I could spit out a better review in my sleep. What a joke, he skips over the entire conversations in a bioware game. I'm glad i'm not the only one to realize the amount of fail in his article is truly astounding. While I respect his opinion, he comes off as an immature 12 yr old call of duty player that demands nothing more then instant gratification. "I don't want to know how my charecter can be evil I just want to hack apart jedi and get phat lootz"  So you skipped the entire fourth pillar they added in the game, then complained they didn't add anything new to the genre?  stick to wow plz, this was an embarressing article for MMORPG. You guys dont even need to pay me and I would do a better job then this kid. Truly astounding and mind boggling he is paid for this garbage.

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Hrica

The Sith Warrior looks JUST LIKE a Human WoW rogue LOL

WoW with lightsabers!!!!!! whoo hooo!!!

Sith Warrior class doesn't have anything in comon with a WoW rogue, what you're saying it's just pure ignorance, just like the "article" garret something wrote. This is just one of those things WoW Fanboys write.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Ladies & Gentlemen, as we now introduce to you, as this picture shows.....

The Darth-WoW-Human-Combat lightsaber Rogue!!!!

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

The clearly picked the wrong person do write this article.