Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Agenda Going Subscription Free

DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Tl;DR - There will not be a subscription. Instead, future content updates (after Sandstorm) will be delivered via optional paid expansion packs.

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=21113

--

Single-Game Purchase Grants Access To All Current Content And Features Within Award-winning Shooter MMO

ATLANTA – June 25, 2010 – Hi-Rez Studios announced today that Global Agenda is now 100% subscription free. Purchasers of Global Agenda can enjoy the game's full current content, including all current Player-vs-Player combat, Player-vs-Environment solo and co-op content, and Agency-vs- Agency seasons, without a monthly subscription payment now or in the future. Future content updates will be delivered via optional paid expansions. The first major expansion, Sandstorm, will be included for free to the entire Global Agenda community.

To celebrate this change, the game is being offered for 33% off on Steam from now through July 5, as part of Steam's Summer Sale.

“Hi-Rez Studios is committed to delivering the best value in PC gaming", said Todd Harris, Global Agenda Executive Producer. "In addition to all of the game's initial launch content, we are bundling nearly 6 months worth of post-release content and features and including that within the single-purchase game. One purchase of Global Agenda let's you experience this content forever with no subscription."

Global Agenda allows players to create and customize multiple agent characters, complementing FPS skills with accessable RPG-style progression. Players can co-op with friends online, compete in fast-paced multiplayer matches, and conquer persistent territory with player-formed groups called agencies. The large summer expansion, titled Sandstorm, adds weapon variation and loot, new epic weapons across every class and a brand new Open Zone area complete with quests and new missions. The first phase of Sandstorm was released in early June 2010, with the remaining phase to be released later this summer.

Try For Free – Players can download Global Agenda and play until level 15 with no payment or credit card required. Buy Once - A single purchase enables you to play forever. Progress thru 50 character levels, access hundreds of weapons, and experience all current content and gametypes on our worldwide, hosted servers with no subscription required. Play What Suits You - Global Agenda offers a wide range of content including solo and co-op PvE, Mercenary PvP, Agency-vs-Agency, Arena PvP and more.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

Comments

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Bah beat me too it lol. I didn't see this coming and had been prepared to pay a sub for a bit. With over 300hrs in GA the price i paid almost seems too cheap.

The reason why.

Why did you decide to make this change?

After receiving feedback from many existing and potential players, we believe that we will have the most thriving community by offering a non-subscription purchase model.

If I purchased the game, will I be charged for anything I’m currently playing?

No, there are no additional charges for the current content, including the Agency-vs-Agency gameplay and all currently available PvE modes. In the future, players may elect to purchase new expansions with additional content.

How much will expansion cost in the future?

We expect new expansions will be priced competitively when compared to expansions of other non-subscription games.

How often are expansions going to be released?

Expansions are expected to be released once or twice per year.

When is the next expansion expected to be released?

We currently anticipate that the next expansion will be released about 6 months from now (end 2010). The content within the Sandstorm expansion this Summer will be included in the initial game purchase price.

What will expansions include?

Expansions will include new content, usually centered around a new world region, with new maps, new weapons/devices, new PvE encounters, new achievements, new social areas, new open zones and new crafting.

What happens if an expansion raises the level cap?

All players will be able to continue to level their characters to the maximum level cap regardless of purchasing an expansion.

Is there a cost for patches between expansions?

There is no cost for updates between expansions.

Can I skip expansions or do I have to buy each of them in order?

You can skip expansions, although you will not be able to gain access to the content that the particular expansion provided until it’s purchased.

Will my game still work if I don't buy expansions?

Yes, you will still be able to play with other players and have access to all the content in the original purchase.

Are free trials going to change with this plan?

There are no changes to free trial at this time.

What happens to pre-subscribers?

Pre-subscribers will not be charged any subscription fees, but will keep all the extra bonuses received for the pre-subscription. Pre-subscribers can leave their payment information for future purchases. (Note: The daily token awards for pre-subscribers will end on June 25).

Is this plan for all countries/regions?

This new pricing plan is the same for all regions.

Are there other games using this kind of purchase model?

Guild Wars would be considered to have a very similar purchase model.

Are all of the current planned features for 1.3 (Sandstorm expansion) included in the current purchase?

All existing 1.3 features that are currently in the game are included. The first Open Zone will also be included (once released later this summer), in addition to Defense missions and Tournaments. 64-player War Zones are planned for a future expansion.

Is there going to be a cost to playing Agency-vs-Agency (AvA)?

No, all current AvA game-play is included in the single-purchase price. Once an expansion is available, it may be required to continue playing AvA to ensure that everyone is playing on the same maps.

What is the future of AvA in this model?

AvA will continue to be one of the game play modes available to all players.

Is there going to be an additional cost for playing the current high level Solo or Team Special-Ops missions?

No, all current content at all difficulty levels is included as part of the one-time game purchase.

If I don't have an expansion, does that mean I can't play with my friends?

You can still play with your friends on any content that each of you have purchased.

Will players with expansions be more powerful than I am?

Expansions will offer some new weapons/devices to give the player additional play styles for more variety. These will be designed to be different and not strictly ‘better’. However due to balancing, some may end up being a bit weaker or stronger.

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

epic

Clap hands to Hi-Rez

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

I was rather surprised that nobody else followed in the steps of Guild Wars.

Now I will pull out my wallet and show my support for this move.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

This is some of the best MMO news I have heard in a long time. I really like how Hi-Rez does things.

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Cyrosphere

I was rather surprised that nobody else followed in the steps of Guild Wars.

Now I will pull out my wallet and show my support for this move.

Same here dude. Man,i wasn't planning to play another FPS (Counter strike veteran) anytime soon. Online,that is. Now..game on!

=D

• rahj83rahj83 Member Posts: 77

Wow...now I have no reason not to try it. I'm a huge fan of this type of MMO payment. If I buy a game, I should be able to play it online, not be forced to pay to play online...if I like the game, I'll continue to pay for content. Exactly as I did for Guild Wars. Here's to you Global Agenda, I'll go download you now.

• ObliviousXObliviousX Member Posts: 112

Good stuff,  i liked the trial but didn't think it was worth the subscription fee.

I just bought it on steam, there is a 33% price reduction right now. 27$ for that game is totally worth it.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I applaud Hi-Rez for this change. This is a truly excellent way for them to sell their game and be able to maintain a playerbase. Hi-Rez gets an A+, their proven track record of listening to their players makes me glad I did purchase GA.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Seems Hi Rez isn't afraid to make those hard decisions, even though they won't benefit in the short term this could increase the life span of this game by alot. This is a gamble for long term profitability and keeping the game alive, I admire the comitment and guts that went into making such a decision. I don't like guild wars myself but who in his right mind can disagree with the payment plan?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by Agricola1
    but who in his right mind can disagree with the payment plan?

Nobody! Well, just the people who are too stuck-up to play buy-to-play games at all.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Good move. Seemed to work for GW and there are some common macro design elements between the two.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• LinaInversaLinaInversa Member CommonPosts: 66

Just got an email saying all of this and Im glad they went with this model, now I can finally get the game knowing there will not be a sub model! WooT! Cant wait for the expantion packs!

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

Good Move Hi-rez

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Downloading Trial now :D

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Wish planetside had done that.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP until i get tired!

<3 <3 <3 the way they did the polls to come to this decision

As a long term P2P player, I'm impressed at how they reacted to what the majority of their customers actually want in the game. I don't mind paying for subscription (that's how i repay developers hard work). This is just quality decision-making on one of the most fun games I've played. I hope they keep listening to the players' requests in the future.

Some people say it's going the wrong way by putting mmoRPG aspects to a MMOFPS-Action Game. I personally think it's a great way for exploring more customization options for the players. Stats on weapons are just icing to what is already an addicting fun yummy cake. Stats on MMO-shooters are nothing if you can't get that crosshair on your target amirite!

<3 HiRez

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

So $27 on Steam now? After playing the trial I never considered GA a bad game, just not worth the sub fee.

I think that is worth it now, but to make sure I'll sleep on it and see if I feel the same way in the morning.

Edit: eh screw it I am sure I will get my $27 out of it at this point as I Have halted 2 subs on a different game due to annoyances. If they hook me long term then the add on will be purchased on merit and as a consumer I can not comlainabout that considering the current MMO market.

• djfantasydjfantasy Member Posts: 8

Finally! 

after trial I almost bought it until I noticed that all the good stuff is behind sub....

now that it is 100% sub free I will definetly go and buy it!!

see you in game :D

Good to see lots of new faces appearing after the sub removal!

• wenthwenth Member Posts: 8

Can i buy this game in shop????? i dont have credit card and i cant buy by STEAM :((

I WANNA PLAYYYY !! so much!!

Originally posted by wenth
    Can i buy this game in shop? i dont have credit card and i cant buy by STEAM :((

I think the limited edition is still for sale on Amazon, might be able to buy it by check or something.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

So I decided to try this game out and I've never played a game like this before.  Tell me if this is what they call a "lobby game"?

Originally posted by f1seb
    So I decided to try this game out and I've never played a game like this before.  Tell me if this is what they call a "lobby game"?

It is a "lobby game".

There isn't a zone to run around in doing quests and whatnot.. yet. Maybe a month or so and the next patch will be released.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

So what keeps the people playing this game?  It feels a lot like TF2.

Originally posted by f1seb
    So what keeps the people playing this game?  It feels a lot like TF2.

It's fun, no subscription, MMO/RPG elements, AvA, and again - it's a lot of fun.