Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What ship do/will you mainly use?

NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

I was just wondering what everyone else is flying around in or planning to fly around in. When I started playing a year ago, everyone wanted to get to battleship ASAP and "lowered" themselves to cruisers. Frigates were for n00bs or the poor that were unfortunate enough to not have enough money to "loose" their main ship in PvP. Now CCP has released a few new ships and is coming along with more. It is getting harder to be able to fly fly everything. So, the question is...what ship is going to be your main ship of choice?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
NFWolfDude

Comments

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by NFWolfDude
    I was just wondering what everyone else is flying around in or planning to fly around in. When I started playing a year ago, everyone wanted to get to battleship ASAP and "lowered" themselves to cruisers. Frigates were for n00bs or the poor that were unfortunate enough to not have enough money to "loose" their main ship in PvP. Now CCP has released a few new ships and is coming along with more. It is getting harder to be able to fly fly everything. So, the question is...what ship is going to be your main ship of choice?

It's all situational.

Frigates are often used by experienced pilots for dangerous operations, for example, working in tandem with larger ships, because they are fast and cheap (ie, expendable) -- they make good "tacklers", for example.

I think it is is still very much the case that everyone wants to be *able* to fly a battleship well, but now there are more ships and so while most people want to be able to fly a BS, many people don't fly them very often, but prefer to fly other ships, like interceptors and assault frigates. There is more emphasis on these other ship classes now to act as support ships for a gang with a battleship, or as alternatives for a hit-and-run style of combat. Also there is less interest in battleships from the mining community with the release of mining barges.

I would say that what ship I choose to use depends on what I am doing, what I anticipate my role will be in what I am doing. I rarely use battleships. But I also rarely use cruisers, with the exception of a few specialized ones (like the Blackbird as an electronic warfare platform, or the Caracal as a missile platform, the Thorax as a drone/gun platform, etc.). I think that with the additional ship categories, the real losers were cruisers because beyond a few specialized ones, there are a lot of cruisers out there now that are more or less not particularly attractive as ships, whereas there is always a market for cheap, throwaway frigates.

The other recent change after Exodus is that people are getting a *lot* richer due to the new mission system and rewards. This encourages people to use frigates and even some cruisers in a throwaway fashion (ie, totally expendable ships used for dangerous operations) more commonly than may have been the case previously.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Myself, I fly both caldari and amarr spacecraft, specializing much more in amarr vessels. I use my Amarr BS to run missions for cash and use several different ships for combat depending on the operation at hand.

I mostly fly around in a Caldari Blackbird with a tackling setup. As Nova mentioned, most of the wars being fought are hit-and-run's in fast ships so, my cruiser with intant-locking scanners and web/disruptors is very appreciated when the ennemy is trying to move into formation.

I also use an Armageddon for large fleet operations but that is rather rare these days. At the moment, I'm training to use Amarr Assault Ships to further mess up those punk little ganking corporations who love to talk smalk on open forums without ever backing it up.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• glittermageglittermage Member Posts: 28

Electronic Warfare Cruiser or Assault Frigate

• gimboidgimboid Member Posts: 15
    I use my Gallentean Heavy Assault Cruiser (Ishtar) with my 15 heavy drones complement.
  • NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Is anyone running around in a Heavy Assault Cruiser? They are pricey, but the stats look pretty sweet. I don't know, a waste of money or not?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• gimboidgimboid Member Posts: 15

Is anyone running around in a Heavy Assault Cruiser? They are pricey, but the stats look pretty sweet. I don't know, a waste of money or not?

see my post above yours :)

yes i use an Ishtar and i love it, fantastic stats with my 17mil SP

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Asking what ships we fly is like asking what our favorite color is: everybody has a different answer. Since every ship can be configured differently to suit different roles, your favorite ship is really dependent on which design appeals to you the most and what stats the ship focuses on.