Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KLINGONS

a9taila9tail Member Posts: 45

hey i played sto for 2 monts +beta

I left to wait for klingon content,

IN current game klingon=federation or is still just pvp ?

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Season two adds 8 Klingon Episodes, while season one added exploration missions.  Try again in maybe 2 years, by when they may finally have gotten around to balancing the Fraction content.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Heheh, 2 more years...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Warmaker

Heheh, 2 more years...

The sad thing is some people were actually saying this, in support of the game, when it launched! I kid you not, they were talking about how great STO would be two years down the road. I'm sorry, but no one should have to wait that long for a MMO to get to a point that it can finally be considered good.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by Dinendae

Heheh, 2 more years...

The sad thing is some people were actually saying this, in support of the game, when it launched! I kid you not, they were talking about how great STO would be two years down the road. I'm sorry, but no one should have to wait that long for a MMO to get to a point that it can finally be considered good.

The real joke is that the game isn't going to exist in 2 years.  No way it lasts that long. 

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Drachasor

Heheh, 2 more years...

The real joke is that the game isn't going to exist in 2 years.  No way it lasts that long. 

I dunno, I'm beginning to think they might be able to survive quite a while by milking the Lifers and the hardcore fans through crazy promotions like the refer a friend program and the C-Store.

Originally posted by Xondar123

Heheh, 2 more years...

I dunno, I'm beginning to think they might be able to survive quite a while by milking the Lifers and the hardcore fans through crazy promotions like the refer a friend program and the C-Store.

That's why I am not saying it will be gone after one year up (though that's a possibility).  No way that they'll successfully screw people over for two years though.  This is one of the most sparsest P2P MMOs in recent history AND it has a cash shop.  Toss on horrible Devs and Dev choices and the game will die in less than 18 months from this date, I assure you.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I don't think it'll implode and disappear (like I hope this cancer to MMO gaming should).  It'll probably linger on forever in a near death state despite having access to one of the largest, most beloved IPs out there.  It'll linger like SWG is after it annihalated its own playerbase.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Heheh, 2 more years...

Don't underestimate the power of a cash shop my friend if they can get a fringe few thousand to mark out over this game and spend somewhere around 20 bucks a month think of all the added revenue that replaces.  This game just might have the payment model to survive which I regret because after thinking about it I agree this game wouldn't be bad at purchase price plus C-Store content but it is a rip off to pay a monthly fee for it too.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

I don't think it'll implode and disappear (like I hope this cancer to MMO gaming should).  It'll probably linger on forever in a near death state despite having access to one of the largest, most beloved IPs out there.  It'll linger like SWG is after it annihalated its own playerbase.

This is how I see it too. The game will linger in a near death twilight realm for the next ten years. Our only hope for a good Star Trek MMO is another (good) studio getting the lisence to make a Star Trek MMO that will run concurrently.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I never really thought and still don't think the game will die any time soon, just because there are enough desperate fanbots that will buy every scrap of c-store crap as fast as Cryptic can turn it out to keep it around for a little while yet, but IMO for the game to even be around in two years, they'll have to go F2P.  Regardless of how fanbots want to spin it, adding almost all of the preorder "exclusives" to the c-store already is a desperate cash grab.  I'm sure enough chumps will dutifully buy it all to give Atari/Cryptic a much needed cash infusion.  Most games wait a year or so before revoking exclusivity of the preorder goodies, if they do it at all.

I'd bet a majority of the people still being counted as subscribers are lifers or people that bought 6 mo/1 year subs at launch, and those people aren't going to provide enough income to keep the game afloat.  It seems every month Cryptic comes up with a new marketing fiasco that alienates a chunk of previously diehard CDF members.  It's also funny watching the remaining CDF blame Atari for this, as if Cryptic is an innocent bystander and not actually part of Atari.

For the first Star Trek MMO to be hovering around 100 on XFire 4.5 months after launch is mind boggling.  I'm sure it has nowhere to go but down unless it goes F2P.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

A bad game is a bad game really, F2P or P2P. Even being free doesn't change the fact it is an unpleasant experience to play it for me.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

This is how I see it too. The game will linger in a near death twilight realm for the next ten years. Our only hope for a good Star Trek MMO is another (good) studio getting the lisence to make a Star Trek MMO that will run concurrently.

To do so (hover near death for years to come) though they will need to keep around 50,000 subscribers; that's the number Cryptic sold to Atari as the minimum viable number of subscribers to keep a MMO running. I'm sure Cryptic would like to tally lifetimers into that number, but the question is will Atari let them do so until theose accounts have paid for themselves? I guess that will depend on what Atari's next financial statement looks like.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Unfortunately, a loser game by a loser development studio that would have to have an act of God to have anything resembling a respectiable subscriber-base.

Lack if Klingon content was only one of many, many amateurish mistakes with this game.    Wait for as long as you want, it'll never be worth the wait.

• a9taila9tail Member Posts: 45

enlighten me please

whots wrong with c-store ,As far as i remember  all they sell is cosmetic content ? You dont need to buy extra skins, new races BO etc....

Originally posted by a9tail

enlighten me please

whots wrong with c-store ,As far as i remember  all they sell is cosmetic content ? You dont need to buy extra skins, new races BO etc....

Because the game delivers less than a standard AAA MMO, charges a sub fee, then if you want to have the appropriate amount of FREE additions that you'd expect, you have to pay a fee.

People act like cosmetic stuff doesn't matter.  Like having your character look the way you want doesn't matter.  It DOES matter, and curtailing player expression unless you fork over cash is a pretty awful thing for a P2P game to do.

• spladsplad Member Posts: 24

enlighten me please

it's not that the c-store is evil or anything. it's just that the amount you have to pay to get a small amount of content would already be high without the C-store.

lets use an example: starbucks charges $4.50 for a big cup of ice and sugar(frappuccino), kind of a ripoff, but lots of people buy it anyhow. if they also charged you $1 for the cup and $0.50 for the straw, nobody would buy that crap because they expect that the cup and the straw was probably 90% of why the price was already a ripoff (30oz of ice does not cost $4 to make)

this is exactly what cryptic is doing. they make a mediocre game, and charge the same fee that good quality games charge just to play it. but when you consider how many of the features have to be purchased after the fact in the c-store, what do you really get with that subscription fee?

basically you are paying a monthly fee for a uss enterprise reskin of their champions online characters. that's like a $80 frappuccino with pubic hairs in it.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

enlighten me please

the problem with the c-store is that cryptic is making sure that content for it is coming out on time. the game was unfinished at release and by most accounts still is extremely shallow on content. its offensive that they are pumping out frivolous crap rather than putting the game in a release worthy state. my personal opinion is that a cash shop has no place ina p2p game, but it has no right to exist in any game that is half finished no matter  what the payment options.

the more i read about sto the more i think back to a very acurate review from right after the game came out that went something like this- " the only thing that really shines through with sto is how truly LAZY cryptic are as developers."

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

To do so (hover near death for years to come) though they will need to keep around 50,000 subscribers; that's the number Cryptic sold to Atari as the minimum viable number of subscribers to keep a MMO running. I'm sure Cryptic would like to tally lifetimers into that number, but the question is will Atari let them do so until theose accounts have paid for themselves? I guess that will depend on what Atari's next financial statement looks like.

Judging from the C-Store additions, I think their new marketing strategy is to milk the hardcore Trek collector types for as much as they can for as long as they can. I'll wager they won't worry about subscription numbers for as long as they can keep a bunch of cows in the C-Store auto-milker for as long as they can.

The average P2P MMO costs about $180 to keep a subscription. Last time I ran the numbers at the rate of C-Store additions Cryptic could pull in as much as $250 extra every year from the subscriber who wants everything. And that isn't counting all the rubes who bought multiple copies of the game to get all the pre-order extras (which are now for sale in the C-Store) and those who bought five copies of the game to get the "All Good Things..." Galaxy ship type.