Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PCI Express x16 slots for PCI Express 2.0 graphics card?

JoloJolo Member Posts: 167

Hello. Any PC gurus around? Im going to upgrade my PC with a new graphichs card since my 8800 ulta got broken lol. My motherboard is an striker extreme that has two PCI Express x16 slot. Im thinking of buying an Asus GTX 480 card which is an PCI Express 2.0 card. Will the card work with my motherboard? thanks if anyone can answer me :)

Comments

• JoloJolo Member Posts: 167

Anyone?

Thanks, i figured out too that was the case :)

• starlessstarless Member Posts: 14

Make sure you have a big enough power supply to use that card.. Some of them require 400w or even higher.

Originally posted by starless

Make sure you have a big enough power supply to use that card.. Some of them require 400w or even higher.

Heh dont worry about that. Got 1000w power supply :)

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by Jolo

ive always wondered what sort of UPS people use with kilowatt power supplies

do you use one?

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

do you use one?

Why would you use one on a gaming machine?

They make them much bigger for servers and stuff. But, I can't see why I would want to spend the extra cash on one for my house. 

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

do you use one?

The capacity of a PSU is not directly related to how much power it draws from the wall. Just because it's capable of delivering 1000w, unless the computer is a beast running 4 video cards, it isn't going to require that. Thus, a standard UPS would be viable.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by pyrofreak

do you use one?

The capacity of a PSU is not directly related to how much power it draws from the wall. Just because it's capable of delivering 1000w, unless the computer is a beast running 4 video cards, it isn't going to require that. Thus, a standard UPS would be viable.

Unless, of course, you actually ARE approaching the limits of the PSU. With an 80% efficiency, you're looking at up to 1250W from the wall. UPS-wise, that falls into the 2000VA category, which get pricy and most use a 20A plug.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Mehve

do you use one?

Unless, of course, you actually ARE approaching the limits of the PSU. With an 80% efficiency, you're looking at up to 1250W from the wall. UPS-wise, that falls into the 2000VA category, which get pricy and most use a 20A plug.

You are quite correct, but inferring from the OP's usage of a single 8800 series card, the chances of him approaching anywhere near capacity of that PSU are, well, nonexistant.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Originally posted by Mehve

do you use one?

You are quite correct, but inferring from the OP's usage of a single 8800 series card, the chances of him approaching anywhere near capacity of that PSU are, well, nonexistant.

I have the 1000w psu i was using with 2x 8800 ultras in SLI. now when 1 got broken im switching for 1x gtx 480.