Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Game(s) Got You Started?

Comments

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

From ages 6 to 9, I think, I was fascinated by Dungeons & Dragons and its special little half-brother Hero Quest, and I 'played' both in a manner of speaking, but I didn't really get them, never comprehending the rules properly, and I easily forgot about them when I got a computer of my own and started playing strategy and adventure games, which really woke my brain up to the sort of things that would have helped me in tabletop RPGs, had I remembered them at this point.

The game that made roleplaying click with me was an RPG only in the loosest possible sense: Diablo. My father had been given a copy of it from a friend of his at work and, knowing my taste in fantasy, thought it might be up my alley. Without being encouraged to, from the moment I started up Diablo, I fell into character. It seemed like the thing to do. I created a name I thought befitted the look of the character; I chose which items he equipped according to what I presumed to be his own motivations and personality rather than by the game mechanics; and playing on Battle.net, I got upset if anyone didn't seem to at least be in the spirit of the setting. I was 10.

I played Diablo right up to Baldur's Gate, which my father gave me for Christmas in 1998, so I was 12. I played it all year, right through my first college classes and up to the release of EverQuest in 1999. I never finished it, either.

It was around the release of Neverwinter Nights in 2002 that I started reading pen & paper rulebooks for the first time. Yeah, I know, it's backward. After working through the D&D core and the Forgotten Realms, I delved right into White Wolf's World of Darkness, and this marked the beginning of the decline of my love of MMOs.

I grew so enamored of the idea of playing in settings so rich as these, and continually rejoiced as single-player RPGs continued to progress in the ways I wanted them to, yet saw MMOs pushing ever further in the opposite direction, so my interest in MMOs has since waned, however vulnerable I have proven to be to some of the hype machines.

Enter 2010: looking hopefully toward The Old Republic, The Secret World and World of Darkness. What ho!

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Roleplaying? Good question... So long ago, that i was

• either it was roleplaying p&p DSA back in the days
    • or a MUD
    • or.. uhm... Lands of Lore was one of the first RPGs I got on a computer

www.youtube.com/watch

Voiced by Patrick Stewart. OMG OMG OMG XD I loved that game. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, I have been playing P&P RPGs since 84. The first MMO I played was Meridian 59 but due to a slow modem it never got me that hooked, it was the western beta of Lineage ( 2000 or 2001?) that really hooked me on MMOs.

There are actually many things I miss from lineage even though it was really basic and all characters looked the same. I loved the fact that darkness actually was an important factor in the game. The death penalty was excellent and it was just hard enough (at the time at least).

There are some factors of the older MMOs that are far superior of the newer ones. Simplicity and user friendliness are often a good thing but it can get too far. Light and darkness is a typical thing, even "hardcore" PvP games let you see easily in the dark even though adding of torches that would makes things a lot more interesting would be a lot more "hardcore". Try to sneak while you carry a torch, or you will have to relay on very little sight while you can see your enemies easily. 

• battleinwowbattleinwow Member Posts: 1

famous hero!!!

www.2goldgold.com

• JamesJonesJamesJones Member Posts: 4

Sho Online...............

http://shoonline.neofun.com/

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Phantasy Star (original) on the Sega Master System in 1987.

Honorable mention: Tradewars in 1991.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

When I was 8ish, I hoped into EQ and it was history from there. Its been a long bumpy road for the past 11 years.

I am currently playing WoW and LotRO

EDIT: I dont always RP and I never stay in full character but I like to use RP like behavior to a more mild extent. Also I always stay in context of a game when grouping and such.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

P&P DnD in the early 1980s.

First PC game was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord by Sir-Tech, blazing along on my Turbo 8088!! image

Followed by the complete Wizardry series. Also played all the "Quest" series games by Sierra Online during the same time period (Kings, Space, Police, Gabriel Knight, etc...). Played UO from launch until 10th anniversary, along with stays in most all other mmos that have ever existed.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• TerridolTerridol Member Posts: 123

Computer Game: Good Ol' SSI Gold Box version of Myth Drannor.

RPG in General: DnD 2nd ed  1990

imageimage

• DKWFirstbornDKWFirstborn Member Posts: 32

I think i was 7 years old when i saw D&D for the first time, didn't really understand the game mechanics and complex things well enough, afterall DKW was 7. I think that I been roleplayer since birth, since swords & mythos, history and medieval stuff, also futuristic things got me hooked as long i can remember, and even longer than i can..

But what game got me hooked more than anything that has to be neverwinter nights's roleplay & final fantasy 7, return to grondor, Dark sun 1,  warhammer games dark omen, horned rat.. etc. Stil according my theory I am infact fairy born in human body. Ok that's rubbish but still!

*drools* If i would get old days back i would make quite a few different choices i did.

Kindest regards,

DKW

• wolvi57wolvi57 Member Posts: 6

i started out with paper and pen games

then moved on to NES, almost all the games

then went through nintendo and super nintendo. mario was the bomb

then whe i got my first computer, i started playing age of empire then battleon

runescape/maplestory

and now i play aika and 4story, aion occasionly. oh and i cant forget battle of the immortals

BOOKS FTW

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

The game that really got me into computer roleplaying was Neverwinter Nights 1.

Of course I played all the good old fantasy games but it was when you started interacting with other players that this was born for me. It is a mix of pen and paper games and computer games. You can only find it in Neverwinter Nights...I am pretty sure no other "MMORPG" has this feeling....

• DKWFirstbornDKWFirstborn Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by sfly2000

The game that really got me into computer roleplaying was Neverwinter Nights 1.

Of course I played all the good old fantasy games but it was when you started interacting with other players that this was born for me. It is a mix of pen and paper games and computer games. You can only find it in Neverwinter Nights...I am pretty sure no other "MMORPG" has this feeling....

I agree with you 100% Long live nwn!

Kindest regards,

DKW

• ZarobienZarobien Member UncommonPosts: 24

My first ever rpg was game called Cyberpunk 2020. After that I there was long quiet periot on rpg:s. Next ones where Icewind Dales and Baldurs Gates. (And offcource Diablos but those are not rpgs that much.) Then I finally got hang of decent internet line and stumbled on Anarchy Online.

• NodkexNodkex Member Posts: 3

My First games as a Kid Where Battle Toads Double Dragon the ultimate team And my First Rpg Was Quest 64 and my first MMORPGs Would Go to be TalesOfPirates ever since i playe MMORpgs And Have like 5 download on my acer very good games and some not so good

• candycoatedcandycoated Member Posts: 86

Mine was 'Flashback: The Quest for Identity'.  That was the first cinematic platform game that I played. 

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Table top I got started with I think.. That table top board game something like Hero Quest. Then Shadowrun and just a lil' of everything else.

Video Game wise as a wee lil' lad with my NES Legend of Zelda sent me into a fantasy world that I've never quite got out of.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

First game i played : Pong ( Atari )

First rpg i played : If you consider Zelda a rpg, then  Zelda OOT , if not , Final Fantasy 9

First MMO : Phantasy Star Online

Rawr.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Wow. This thread was started in 2007. Did it just get necro posted or am I missing something here? lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It would have been back in 4th Grade (circa '81) watching some of the 5th Graders playing AD&D.  I did not get my first computer until the Summer before 5th Grade, which was a Vic20.  I started online RP in the early days of Prodigy.com in The Vampire Pub and Peaceful Warrior Inn on a Packard Hell AT 286 using a 1200 baud modem initially.  Though that did not last long before I was running 14.4... and within a few few years was chugging along at 33.6, woot!  Believe I was still on that when I started UO, my first MMORPG.

Well, time for me to take my Geritol and go yell at the kiddies to get off my lawn...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Started with Pen and Paper DnD and then went onto Labyrinth and Elite on the BBC, from there to the Spectrum (lords of Midnight FTW!!) and then the Amiga, Eye of the Beholder etc, then AtariST and then onto Consoles and PC (loved Phantasy Star!)

My first proper MMO was UO and I fell in love with the game, after that I went to vanguard and since I have played lots of other games, not stuck to any as they fail to pull me in

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Kings quest (4 i think) and dragon warrior are the first games i can remember playing. On BBSs lord etc etc, snes, to muds duris etc, onward.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

This is a funny question, because I recently had a discussion with a few old friends concerning this exact topic.  When I was a kid I watched my father play Dragon Quest (NES) Lufia (NES) and Final Fantasy I.  But you know, as a real young kid we got this game (I can't remember the title) and it was a hybrid board game with little game pieces.  These pieces could be arranged like walls on the map so you could build your own dungeon. There were these evil plastic avatar's too. Orcs, gobs and such. Each player had a character class with individual abilities like most rpgs.  The point was different in that you simply tried to reach the end of the customized dungeon or the board.

I loved the cards!  The ones with all the detailed information about your character.  As we grew up my brother and I started to lose the pieces and was forced to adapt the game with our own rules and storylines until it was no longer the original title but something altogether different.  To this day I think back to that game as one of the key influences that inspired me to be a professional writer.  

• leon20leon20 Member Posts: 6

I got started with RPGs playing the first 4 Phantasy Stars on my dad's sega genesis, oh how i miss that series.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Astralglide

Which games got you started role-playing? Was it a video game first or pen and paper/ table top? Do you still play them today? I'll start (this is just for curiosity's sake).

Video Games came first for me:

Final Fantasy (for NES) or Dragon Warrior (for NES)

The first pen and paper game I played was Shadowrun 2nd Edition but I became a big Vampire: The Masquerade Fan.

I have ROMs for all of the NES games, but I haven't played them in a while and I gave up on pen & paper games a while ago.

The game that got me into gaming was Castlevania for the NES. I remember my step-father actually taking the game away from me as a punishment at times because, even though the game and the system were his, I was better at it than he was. I fell away from the series after Castlevania 3 and played a variety of different games on NES, Genesis, SNES but it wasn't until Final Fantasy VII that I actually really 'found' RPGs. Sure, I'd played Dragon Warrior but as a child I was very limited in what I could play because most the games weren't mine, at least not until I had a SNES and Genesis, and I simply hadn't found a game that grabbed me like FFVII did to draw me into a particular genre.

Final Fantasy VII kind of exploded my gaming world and I paid much more attention to story; it was no longer simply fun to follow, it was vital. That game was the hallmark RPG for me and a milestone game, it was really what changed me from a casual gamer that was proficient at the games I played to a serious gamer that really wanted to excel at the games I played -while still enjoying the rest of my life!

Story brought me into RPGs and introduced me to MMORPGs, but it was also what drew me to other games outside of that genre. I really enjoy the Fatal Frame and Silent Hill series in the survival horror genre and I also enjoy the Armored Core series of 'action' games, to point to prominent examples. RPGs -and that goddamn story!- are what really drive me to play games. As it stands, FFVII is my milestone game but Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is my all-time favourite RPG. Notable mentions in different genres or hybrid genres are: Fatal Frame, Armored Core, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Loaded (seriously, it was fun), Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Master of the Monster Lair, Quake and Deus Ex.

Off Topic: Does anyone remember the Shadow Warrior FPS for PC and the hell that was Milon's Secret Castle and Deadly Towers for NES?

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.