Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'd like some input about rpg games

Hey guys I'm developing a game and was wondering a fue things...

In the early stage of the game... but get a fue things down..

How do you guys feel about player city’s?

Where you can govern your own and such...

How big of a impact does story’s have?

Do you like to have one story one main objective or just a random where they just are all different

What kind of things do you like custom?

Custom weapons , players , environment ... ect

Comments

• evilash80evilash80 Member Posts: 17

1 - Player cities (that you can govern) sounds exciting. I am reminded of Magic Carpet, where you owned your own castle.

2 - Story for me is the most important thing. A game with no story is like a film with no story - a bit of a waste of time

3 - Customise everything to do with the player. The more a player can be customised, the more emotionally attached you get to your character.

Not sure about environment - I guess if you are managing your own cities, then you would want some kind of customisation.

Are you making this game by yourself? What are you using to make it?

• snyper816snyper816 Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by evilash80

1 - Player cities (that you can govern) sounds exciting. I am reminded of Magic Carpet, where you owned your own castle.

2 - Story for me is the most important thing. A game with no story is like a film with no story - a bit of a waste of time

3 - Customise everything to do with the player. The more a player can be customised, the more emotionally attached you get to your character.

Not sure about environment - I guess if you are managing your own cities, then you would want some kind of customisation.

Are you making this game by yourself? What are you using to make it?

i agree. story is very important and customizing my character means a lot

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by kcd-clan

Do you like to have one story one main objective or just a random where they just are all different

1: Player cities: great idea on paper, but most games fail in executing it properly. One thing youve got to make sure of is that you have the proper tool sin place for people to manage things properly, as well as tools available to those not already in power / governing to bring about change. Too often, people will attain some sort of power / governance / leadership and abuse it for exploiting, ripping people off, and just being douches in general and impacting the gameplay of others negatively. Even with any form of election system, it usually gets abused through people registering alts to skew the votes.

Incase you are going to have any sort of election systems in place for control of the cities where you will have players elected by other players, your best bet is to do something like have guild voting rather than individual voting. Either limit it to 1 vote per guild, or perhaps give additional votes to higher ranked guilds. That way you avoid the problem of people logging multiple alts just to vote their guild member or friend in, when they wouldnt have had those votes otherwise. This will require guild sto communicate amongst themselves and decide on who they think is the best leader, even if it is someone outside their own guild, and they can come to a decision amongst themselves and have that single (or very few) votes to add to the total.

2: Story: kind of depends on just what type of game it is (sandbox, themepark, PVE focus, PVP focus, etc) but IMO a good way to go about the story is to give us a good background/lore/history to start with, and perhaps a Main, chained storyline for people to follow if they like, but not have it required to advance. Basiacally, give us a deatiled world & setting leading up to the point our story begins, but allow us to build somewhat of a story for ourselves within the lore of the game, rateh rthan it all being scripted out for us.

3: Customization: Very important to many of us. The more unique we can make our character the better. Im glad to see you mentioned weapons and environment in there, as many games lately think that we only care about giving our character unique hair and crap. Being able to customize equipment, not just in looks, but also through a good crafting/upgrading system that allows to make truly unique weapons/armor is very important, at least to me. Its been one of my favorite things in several games. I really like Runes of Magic's system as one example. You could take stones with different stats on them, combine those stones into larger ones with multiple stats, and then apply 3 of those larger stones to your equipment pieces to give them those stat bonuses. I also like dRohans system which allowed you to take stats from one weapon, and combine them with another for a chance at applying a combination of the stats on the new weapon. Both of these systems allowed players to have a lot of variety even within the same class because we were able to create highly specialized weapons for special purposes. In Rohan, i was able to turn a squishy mage into an AOE tanking powerhouse through having a weapon i created myself through a bit of luck and trial & error, that nobody else was able to match for many many months.

• zzUchihazzUchiha Member Posts: 1

Sounds Interesting....  To Me stories are everything... and be able to govern your own city would be awesome...

• legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

Govern city is pretty good if you can realise that you have good points!

The story is very important I think, sometimes the story determines if a player keeps on playing or not.. 

Greetz

• arrgyarrgy Member UncommonPosts: 87

Originally posted by kcd-clan

Eh...good idea on paper, however what happens when you take a vacation, someone dies IRL, you lose internet access for a while? governing a city is a daily thing to be good.

I dont play much part in stories except when I played LOTRO.

EVERYTHING 

• kirawatskirawats Member Posts: 57

1. How do you guys feel about player city's?

It sound great, but what happen exactly with player's city? I don't know exactly what is the game objective is. However, to have player own something and work toward it is a good start. Especially the city that player can be proudly build and own and show it off to other players.

2. How big of a impact does story's have?

Story is important. However, in my taste, for MMO, story should not be focus as a single-player story where every single player go through the same "hero" story like everyone else. Story itself should focus as a whole like the background story of the game world, and left the future to be decides through players action. Let players work together toward common goals. Let them be part of developing history and immerse in the game world.

3. What kind of things do you like custom?

If possible, everything. But make sure there are restrictions that will help prevent players from going nuts and ruins the gameplay experience. Like create "freak" character from having too much control over character creation just for kicks, and such. It's kinda destroy the game experience, well, depend on what type of the lore the game having.