Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTP Yet?

2»

Comments

• ArradienArradien Member Posts: 49

With the current notification from NCSoft of server merges and the discussion that it will be down to 2 North America and 1 Euro server, Lineage 2 is NOT doing well in the West. This is mainly due to the staff at NCSoft not caring about the community. The management of NCSoft West is pathetic. The forum mods do jack appart from post polls and close threads. There have been very little in the order of events this year and the ones they did were very piss poor compared to the past years events and they even missed out on their own anniversary event. The expansion for Freya is no where to be seen and NCSoft stated at the end of last year that there would be three expansions this year. The customer support/Technical staff don't care also. Botting is out of control as it always has, RMTing is not being stoppted. Pfft PATHETIC. It sould be F2P with complete new staff.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

FTP = File transfer protocol. 

F2P = Free to play.

I personally think it is too early to do this, they still have enough loyal fans. A survey with it's current players couldn't hurt however.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

never mind, found my answer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Arradien

With the current notification from NCSoft of server merges and the discussion that it will be down to 2 North America and 1 Euro server, Lineage 2 is NOT doing well in the West. This is mainly due to the staff at NCSoft not caring about the community. The management of NCSoft West is pathetic. The forum mods do jack appart from post polls and close threads. There have been very little in the order of events this year and the ones they did were very piss poor compared to the past years events and they even missed out on their own anniversary event. The expansion for Freya is no where to be seen and NCSoft stated at the end of last year that there would be three expansions this year. The customer support/Technical staff don't care also. Botting is out of control as it always has, RMTing is not being stoppted. Pfft PATHETIC. It sould be F2P with complete new staff.

Lineage 2 has never did well in the west. Its an Asian grind mmo that has always appealed to a nich crowd. Lets not forget that we should have been playing on Lineage 3 right now if it was not for the whole stolen code thing. If this server merge and more updates can give me another year of fun playing Lineage 2 then I will be happy. By that time Tera will be here and I will be playing it till Lineage 3 does come out.

Originally posted by Mannish

Lineage 2 has never did well in the west. Its an Asian grind mmo that has always appealed to a nich crowd. Lets not forget that we should have been playing on Lineage 3 right now if it was not for the whole stolen code thing. If this server merge and more updates can give me another year of fun playing Lineage 2 then I will be happy. By that time Tera will be here and I will be playing it till Lineage 3 does come out.

The West has had grind MMO's, take Everquest for example. Lineage 2 did very well in the first 1-3 years but NCSoft lost the cause of customer and community care so people left in droves. Lineage 3 will be years and years away as they first have to build a new engine to run it.

Tera does look very fun and interesting I agree. I hope it is a well polished game but I do not wish the LOTR / AoC type combat they are trying to do, but I will wait and play before really coming to a conclusion on that.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Delondial

Lineage 2 is doing fine just the way it is. There is no reason at all to make the game free to play. Bottom line is the game is what it is. Either accept it and play or move on to something else.

Think you missed the point. The game itself is an Asian style grind which obviously has a decent level of success. Personally I enjoyed my time for the most part. I'm simply talking about an update to the age old subscription format. Relax and remember it is simply an objective discussion mate. Otherwise you could come off sounding a bit like what is colloquially known as a "fanboi".

No I did not miss the point at all. Why should Lineage 2 go FTP? What makes Lineage 2 the only mmo out there that should go FTP if all you are talking about is an update to the age old subsciption format which nearly all MMOs use?. Why not make EQ 2 FTP? Why not make Darkfall FTP? Why not make Final Fanasy XI FTP? Lineage 2 is still one of the most successfull MMOs ever released and if you look at World Wide numbers you will see that its still doing very well. The game is a grind and thats the way we like it.  As I said before it is what it is. Take it or leave it.

There are actually a lot of MMOs that would benefit from a pay model update. But seeing as this is the Lineage 2 forum, we're limited to talking about Lineage 2. And you either have a low attention span, or  you are simply in this thread on some self declare crusade to purge any scrutiny of your beloved title. Otherwise you would see that the aspect of a grind heavy game has no bearing on my suggestion for a pay model change. Rather fond of a heavy grind session after a fashion. Please stop acting as if I'm picking on Lineage 2.

As for the success of this MMO, their quarterly report shows more growth in Lineage 1 than 2. Take it for what you will, but it still stands that they can greatly increase the community's health, and possibly fetch back some of those estimated quarter million accounts on private servers. Now there are any number of possibilities to increase this, FTP being only one. I'm certainly open to suggestions as that is the spirit of this thread.

This thread as a total waste of time. Good luck on you FTP crusade.  We will keep playing our game and loving it just the way it is. image

You're either a selective reader or a poor one, both of which makes your contribution to the thread worthless. We're here for conjecture and mucking about, nothing more or less. Thank you for taking your finite views elsewhere. 

I simply can't resist the urge here, it's as laughable as someone that responded to one of my posts with vitriol and a lack of critical thinking abilities. The person you're quoting isn't a selective or poor reader, they've simply refused to pay careful attention to the post and comment in an intelligent or helpful way. I think there are plenty of pejoratives that can describe that, but, then again, perhaps they're a former player on France's 2010 World Cup team.image

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

I'm going to jump on the wagon here while also saying that I'm rather anxiously awaiting Guild Wars 2. Why? ArenaNet actually seems to be able to to more right than NCSoft does wrong to them and Guild Wars, despite its flaws and incredibly poor support from NCSoft, is a damn fine and incredibly fun game.

I watched the AION launch debacle and the fanboys somehow, somehow, cry that a game that was out for one year was somehow new and should be excpected to have increidbly unnecessary bugs. I watched the official forum be unable to be moderated in a real fashion for months and NCWest personel think that being able to officially send news via Twitter and fansites was hip, even though they somehow did not have the capacity or wherewithal to actually fix the problems with their official site and forum. I even installed AION on my computer and, after watching this, uninstalled it in a fit of laughter. Why laughter? I received a message saying that I 'should be able to uninstall AION through Windows.'

As it stands, I have a ticket for Guild Wars that has been waiting for two full weeks and eleven business days within those two weeks. What the person I'm quoting is saying isn't opinion, it's fact: whenever NCSoft products do not do well it is purely becaue of poor support and a general lack of care on the part of their staff. Granted, GMs there are largely overworked and poorly utilised but I'd bet that more than half of them simply aren't too concerned with doing their jobs, they simply function within their job for the hours they have to work.

People can defend the gameplay elements, lore, developer and all sorts of stuff but attempts to defend NCSoft as a whole...you may as well delude yourselves into thinking that Blizzard really is using a good chunk of their WoW revenue to develop and improve the game.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

Originally posted by The_Grump

I'm going to jump on the wagon here while also saying that I'm rather anxiously awaiting Guild Wars 2. Why? ArenaNet actually seems to be able to to more right than NCSoft does wrong to them and Guild Wars, despite its flaws and incredibly poor support from NCSoft, is a damn fine and incredibly fun game.

I watched the AION launch debacle and the fanboys somehow, somehow, cry that a game that was out for one year was somehow new and should be excpected to have increidbly unnecessary bugs. I watched the official forum be unable to be moderated in a real fashion for months and NCWest personel think that being able to officially send news via Twitter and fansites was hip, even though they somehow did not have the capacity or wherewithal to actually fix the problems with their official site and forum. I even installed AION on my computer and, after watching this, uninstalled it in a fit of laughter. Why laughter? I received a message saying that I 'should be able to uninstall AION through Windows.'

As it stands, I have a ticket for Guild Wars that has been waiting for two full weeks and eleven business days within those two weeks. What the person I'm quoting is saying isn't opinion, it's fact: whenever NCSoft products do not do well it is purely becaue of poor support and a general lack of care on the part of their staff. Granted, GMs there are largely overworked and poorly utilised but I'd bet that more than half of them simply aren't too concerned with doing their jobs, they simply function within their job for the hours they have to work.

People can defend the gameplay elements, lore, developer and all sorts of stuff but attempts to defend NCSoft as a whole...you may as well delude yourselves into thinking that Blizzard really is using a good chunk of their WoW revenue to develop and improve the game.

I fully agree. I think Guild wars 2 will do well because of ArenaNet and the further NCSoft stays way from it the better the game will be. Unfortunally I believe that the customer support will be done by NCSoft staff *sigh*. AION was a debacle and people leave mmorpg's faster now than in the past as it shows in the massive decline in customer base.