Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart making a new MMO?

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So i was just going through the game list looking for any newly added games when i saw this Game and apparently it's being developed by Derek's studio 3000AD. For those of you who were speculating that Derek is driving the game to ground so he could get his hands on the technology might just be right but if not i sure as hell wanna see how he would do things his way since he blames the failure of alganon on the previous devs. Would be interesting any way...

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

You can already see how games made Derek Smart's way turn out. Just google Battlecruiser A.D. and try not to laugh too hard.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Honestly, if I inhereted the miserable clusterfrack that is Alganon, I'd want to make a new MMO, too.

I look forward to Derek Smart's new MMO, which is bound to be jam-packed with mediocrity (at best), but which he will venomously defend in an abrasive and hateful manner. My thoughts and prayers are with the Coke machines at QOL and 3000AD HQ.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Gabby-air

So i was just going through the game list looking for any newly added games when i saw this Game and apparently it's being developed by Derek's studio 3000AD. For those of you who were speculating that Derek is driving the game to ground so he could get his hands on the technology might just be right but if not i sure as hell wanna see how he would do things his way since he blames the failure of alganon on the previous devs. Would be interesting any way...

I would choose my words very carefully if I were you. Slamming my games is one thing, but making libelous statements which have no merit or any basis in reality is a whole other deal.

For anyone who was actually paying attention, GCO (which we started after we finished and shipped both of the All Aspects games in mid 2009) was announced in Q4/2009 and teased over on its own temporary page. Long before I even knew that Alganon (which doesn't contain any tech that is usable outside of the game itself, as I've said in numerous interviews and in the lawsuit we filed against Dave Allen) existed.

[Mod Edit]

Some of us do actually make a living doing what we love the most and it is quite alright if some don't like our games. My games are designed and developed for a select group of people and as long as they continue to be profitable for us and fun for those who actually do buy and play them, I could care less what others think.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by dsmart

I would choose my words very carefully if I were you. Slamming my games is one thing, but making libelous statements which have no merit or any basis in reality is a whole other deal.

For anyone who was actually paying attention, GCO (which we started after we finished and shipped both of the All Aspects games in mid 2009) was announced in Q4/2009 and teased over on its own temporary page. Long before I even knew that Alganon (which doesn't contain any tech that is usable outside of the game itself, as I've said in numerous interviews and in the lawsuit we filed against Dave Allen) existed.

[Mod Edit]

Some of us do actually make a living doing what we love the most and it is quite alright if some don't like our games. My games are designed and developed for a select group of people and as long as they continue to be profitable for us and fun for those who actually do buy and play them, I could care less what others think.

Then why are you here posting with threatening undertones?

• greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Edited - he's not worth it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by Azerin

[Mod Edit]

Then why are you here posting with threatening undertones?

QFT haha.

I would also like to point out that i was just bringing the game up and i never said you were going to use its tech as it clearly points out in my post, "For those of YOU who" so i have no idea where you read i was saying that and if you yet failed to read even further i was actually looking forward to how the game would turn out. Your post has most definitely made me curious about the game none the less...lol.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

[Mod Edit]

I really want to speak my mind here, but since a "speculation" and statement of "other's opinions" may be considered libelous I have refrained.

I don't even have a lawyer.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-It's actually supposed to be "I couldn't care less".

Attention to detail, take care in the words you choose, etc.

Jergis

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Azerin

Derek Smart is to gaming what Uwe Boll is to movies. 'Nuff said.

Dude... that hurt and it wasn't even aimed at me in any way, I'm not sure he's that bad.

I'm free on Friday.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Cannot post properly , NVM.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85

I usually don't get on this sort of thing, but... I have read somewhat a little about mr.smart. (Get it?). I don't know much about him, but i have followed alganon. If  mr.smart is planning to make another game, mmorpg or not... He would be wise to fix something that is broken, or could have something. I'm not a developer by no means, just a blogger here, but don't you think, fixing something before making something else? But hell, it's his life... But, i won't touch it. That is not a flame, that is just my humble opinion.

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Originally posted by Jergis

-It's actually supposed to be "I couldn't care less".

Attention to detail, take care in the words you choose, etc.

Jergis

Just as a note, there was a "Mod Edit" in there, which means a crack MMORPG.com staff member went in and tried to paraphrase something Gaming Jesus up there said because the content QOL's President posted was massively inappropriate and in violation of this site's rules.

So while we don't have the original post to compare against, it's possible Herr Direktor did not actually make that SPECIFIC error.

Still notable that the President of a company continues to come on public forums and post such vitriol that he needs to be "moderated".

I had a rather nice rebuttal to him, but apparently when the mod edited his post, the mod then completely deleted mine and gave me a nice warning. I'm getting rather tired of this coulda-been never-was ironically named dude coming here trying to intimidate people ( as hilariously weak as his attempts are ).

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• spladsplad Member Posts: 24

we should make a webcomic where Derek Smart becomes community manager for activision/blizzard and gets to respond to all of the feedback regarding the next WOW expansion

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

The thing I have trouble understanding about Mr.Smart is he throws insults and threats around like Russell Crowe throws phones, except Russell Crowe is an A-lister in his chosen industry.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

This guy cracks me the hell up. His games are definitely the best...the best of the value bin. I have yet to see him associated with anything even related to tripple A. He reminds me of the Lou Diamond Phillips of games.

Everyone knows who he is, but its not because he's any good.

Does he make money? Sure, so does Steven Segal but that doesnt mean he isnt the laughing stock of his industry.

What does bring Derek a step above those B movie actors is, he's actually willing to come to threads and make a huge ass of himself all for our entertainment. This alone makes me wish he will stay just profitabe enough so that he keeps coming to forums when we mock him to bust out his epeen and prove us correct.

So, here's to you Derek, oh king of the B games and master of the asshatery! May you live long in your mediocrity.

This discussion has been closed.