Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth inquiry

WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Hey all!

Out of curiosity and recent events I've wanted to hear from the ones playing Fallen Earth and those who recently played. I've made a poll with a few options and I hope you will cast a vote and perhaps explain why. Please feel free to tell me if I have forgotten something.

Three weeks ago Fallen Earth had the highest rating (released games) on MMORPG.com and has now decreased to 8.30. During this period of time several events have taken places on the official website and forum. A new Item Cash shop was introduced and initiated an uproar unlike anything else I've ever seen.  The forums became a warzone and many players demanded action and some even for change of leadership. 

Have this incident changed your Fallen Earth experience? Or is it something completely else?

Comments

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Maybe an option that nothing has changed my opinion about this game !!

It's still a great game, but it sucks away lots of time thou !!

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

It would seem that I can't change the poll options, but you are correct. I should have added a "My experience is still the same". My bad :)

• MordeoMordeo Member Posts: 9

For me it was "None of the above".

The biggest killer for me was lag, most likely caused by trans-atlantic latency. I'm in Europe, and sadly enough they refused to set up a European server.

Latency issues and FPS games just doesn't mix.

Other than that, what I did see of the game (before I quit in frustration over constantly having to /timesync in order to hit something) was really hot... although that was only Sector 1 and the very beginning of Sector 2.

- Do as I say, don't do as I do.

• SkraghSkragh Member Posts: 8

for me nothing has changed. still a great and a very fun game for me. :)

im just hoping to see more and tons of new items in the game in the future. :)

• GrahlGrahl Member Posts: 23

Was subbed to FE from the beginning of early start for about 2 months.  Just gave it another look with some free time they gave me...it still isn't very good.  Stability is much improved from when it was released, you don't crash to desktop in Embry all the time anymore, which is nice.

However, the physics are laughable, and the controls are clunky and unresponsive for a FPS.  Seriously, D&D Online plays far more like a fast paced FPS than FE does, too bad FE couldn't steal their engine.  The only thing that kept me playing for a while at release was the crafting, but even that gets old since you can't customize anything you make so everybody just makes the same identical crap.  FE just seems like another game that could have been good, but isn't.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

No change, still enjoying like on day 1.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

no change. I haven't played in a while, but it has as much to do with the many great games out as anything about FE. Biggest gripe was the difficulty in grouping due to no fast travel. (flame away and have fun in your underpopulated anti-social games)

But that was a minor thing really, just missed some older games & guildies. I will tell anyone this is a great game and i'll probably be back at some point.

Good bet the change in rating is just due to the club wielding 'die die f2p' zerg. I would bet anything they logged in and rated the game down even if they never played it based only on the news of the cash shop.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

Funny enough the cash shop introduced 2 useless cosmetic items (I bought the goggles) so those shouldnt impact anyones game; unless you are jealous I look more awesome than you now :)

And with the promise that all the cash shop items will be in the same vein (gameplay irrelevant) noone should be detered by the cash shop.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

i cancelled my account about 3 days after finding out about the cash shop, imho a p2p game has no place for one. fe is a very good game imho, and i wish i could continue subscribing, but i refuse to deal with any company that subscribes to this business model.

imo by paying a monthly subscription i am paying for developement of the game, and should never be asked to pay a second time for content that i allready helped pay for with my subscription. if fe went f2p with an item shop, i might come back, but the current system is distasteful to me.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

I used to think the same thing but if you think of it this way;

Subscriptions net: $X/month

which buys: 2G worth of content creation (development cost/ coders/art/etc)

Item shops nets you $Y/month

Which buys: 1G worth of content creation.

FE without Item Shop = 2G content

FE with item shop = 3G content

Even cellphone companies know 3G is better than 2G :)

As all things are cosmetic look at it more like a "donate" link

and the more people who donate the faster content can be created

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by darkbladed

Your "donation" isn't going toward the creation of new content. Your "donation" is going toward paying off debts incurred by producing the game in the first place.

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Your "donation" isn't going toward the creation of new content. Your "donation" is going toward paying off debts incurred by producing the game in the first place.

actually its a little from collumn A and a little from collumn B;

If they don't make enough cash they cut devs/shut down the game which means less/no content.

If you can afford it buy cash shop items.  If not; well it doesn't matter because none of them are game-breaking.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

If they don't make enough cash they cut devs/shut down the game which means less/no content.

Exactly. And that's something they've already done. The content updates aren't going to come fast, because they already slashed their staff. Meanwhile, they're nowhere near paying back the cost of development.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I could care less about the cur and the goggles tbh.

My experience hasn't changed in that I'm still having a lot of fun, in spite of the bugginess. There are days when the bugginess gets to me, rolled a new alt a couple of weeks ago and was astounded by how much of the early game seems to have gone buggy. To their credit though, I contacted a GM and they kept in touch with me through the play session and stomped every bug I reported - that's something you don't see very often.

I've said it on the FE forums too - but early game (at the very least) should be bug free, because bugginess at the start will make people less inclined to sub up to the game. Back when I started the Dam and the starter towns were smooth as butter, only trouble I had was the CTDs in Embry, and I only had that a few times. I can understand new players feeling very frustrated with the amount of bugs.

So yeah, bugginess more than cash shop in terms of annoyances. But overall, I'm still enjoying myself - or I wouldn't be subbed.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I really like the game, but I am not subbed currently and I'm not likely to come back...why?

You could call it content, but I think "commitment" is a better way to put it.

I am really looking for a long term game right now; I've found that I just don't enjoy constant game hopping. I want a company that I know is going to be there expanding the game for 2+ years at least before I start dragging my wife and rl friends into a new game. Right now, it feels like FE could announce it was closing tomorrow and no one would be shocked. 

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by ericbelser

I really like the game, but I am not subbed currently and I'm not likely to come back...why?

You could call it content, but I think "commitment" is a better way to put it.

I am really looking for a long term game right now; I've found that I just don't enjoy constant game hopping. I want a company that I know is going to be there expanding the game for 2+ years at least before I start dragging my wife and rl friends into a new game. Right now, it feels like FE could announce it was closing tomorrow and no one would be shocked. 

I'm the same. I cancelled when i went on holiday and i'm not inclined to resub right now. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of selling these items it's something they were not going to do when this game came out. It's another sign, like Lee Hammock leaving and massive staff cuts, that FE is in trouble. They're giving out all the wrong signals if they want people to commit to this game. I could see it not existing a year from  now.

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Exactly. And that's something they've already done. The content updates aren't going to come fast, because they already slashed their staff. Meanwhile, they're nowhere near paying back the cost of development.

"Meanwhile, they're nowhere near paying back the cost of development."

Proof?

Also even if they have already slashed their staff doesnt mean that less money wont cause even further downsizing.

again "more money= better for the game".  do you refute that statement?

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I can't see any option for me, my experiance with the game has not changed, but I want to see the result of the poll.

Sorry for screwing up your vote.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• ZyrenaZyrena Member UncommonPosts: 91

It took me less than 24 hours into my trial to fall in love with this game and upgrade to a full subscription.  The game gave me that same feeling I got when EQ first came out and I was thrilled!  However, things change in games and unfortunately, my enjoyment of the game faltered significantly.

What did it for me was the lack of content.  I was bored and the grind for factions was tedious. Crafting, though intricate in a way, was also very limited in that everyone could make the same stuff, and I mean, identical. There was no way to "crit" a crafted item to make something special or any way to color items to make outfits match.

The final nail in the coffin?  Patch 1.4.  I enjoyed the flexibility and diversity of people's characters. You could put in the extra effort and find every extra AP in the game in order to open more skills or mutations and really round out a character.  However, with 1.4 they completely changed how buffs and temporary buffs worked and for me, it was a completely different game, not what I had paid for.  Of course, this is just MY opinion and it is MY reason for leaving Fallen Earth.

To the OP, you should have also had an option for the 1.4 patch driving people away.  Just my thoughts.

P.S. To those who still love the game, I'm very happy for you.  As an MMO player, I never want to see other players without a game they can enjoy.  So, continue to enjoy FE, I wish I could enjoy it still as well.

• RedcellRedcell Member Posts: 14

Umm you didn't include the option to put nothings changed, and you didn't include a option to vote that you like the improvements from the patches and the new content.

What gives? Can't vote for anything, I like the game.

Anyway as to the ratings on mmorpg..lol. Really. FE is respected by the online community, which is why its probably made it on that list, but its a small game. It only stayed there becuase people hated other games more, not because it engendered a real voting trend from its tiny little fan base.

As to people leaving, well they have been leaving sinse Jan. Games like FE, people leave and come back. Hell theres a few posts on this very page from people who just came back and are playing again.