Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: Subscription Confirmed

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by brad813

I have no issue with item shops as long as the game play dynamic isn't really changed.  I highly doubt there will be an item shop since none of the other SOE games really have them.

You're being sarcastic right? Pretty much ALL the SOE games have item malls lol. 

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

hell yeah, i'll be ready to give them all the monies they want to play in this awesome universe.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• thosewhoharpthosewhoharp Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Meromorph

Champions Online is way better than DCUO will be, and CO is only $10 a month if you get the recurring 3-month subscription. 

1.  The Champions C store has been there for 8 months and they still have not released any gamrplay effecting items, and the only thing that cost over $10 is the complete character retcon, which is equivalent to a race / class change in other games.  It costs $12, and in all my time of playing I've never needed one as they hand out about 1 free retcon every month and a half with patches.    Go look at the C store, the trolls don't want you to see it, they just want to keep things ignorant and say "a store is a store."  Wrong, DDO's store makes me puke and I would never play it, CO's store doesn't effect me.   

2.  DCUO will launch with only two zones, both of them cities.   In addition to its two city zones, CO also has 4 wilderness zones. The zones are instanced and hold 100 people; the game world does not feel empty, it is the opposite of WAR, even with CO's relatively small population you see lots of other players.  

3.  DCUO's power selection is so restricted and simplified that you cannot even have fire and ice powers on the same character.   Even City of Heroes allowed for simple combinations like that, and Champions allows for much more complex and creative combinations.   

Don't listen to the forum trolls that talk about STO, again they want to keep the discussion ignorant and avoid facts about CO.   I know most people like me who semi-waited for DCUO have given up by now, game looks utter crap, but if you still want a next-generation superhero MMO then come check out CO.  

P.S.  Another ignorance-promoting tactic from the trolls will be to bring up ancient history about CO.   They might talk about Bill Roper, the launch day patch, or a troll favorite, the brief two week period where a content expansion was being slated as a Microtransaction.  Unlike Sony and such, Cryptic listened to the player response and decided to give away the content for free, that was in March, we just got another adventure pack for free last week, and the Executive Producer has stated explicitly that all future content will be free for all subscribers.   Trolls don't want you to know the facts, they want to bring up old half-truths to slander the game.   The core problems with CO have always been a lack of power balancing, and the accompanying swings of difficulty, as well as a lack of incentives for teaming with other players.   These are also the priority issues for the developers, and they have made a lot of progress in just the last three months, let alone since launch.   The bottom line is now is a good time to check out CO.  

Oo? CO isn't close to the level of DCUO. Better IP, Better Graphics, Less constraints (Meaning world physics and mechanics as well as being able to simply do more in general). 

CO's value is even lower than that of DCUO and it's $14.99 a month with an item mall as well. 

Sorry while I will be passing on DCUO it's still worlds better than CO lol. No sale. 

And before you jump the gun, I played CO at both launch and recently came back to see all the improvements that those like you herald. The problem is... I found the game still sucked lol. 

I wish I could be more specific but, I can't. I just have a blah unfun time in CO. I mean I have a ton of little issues, AI sucks, fighting against NPC's constantly for missions and etc. is just boring, missions/quests are simply boring and easy to complete, there still isn't much grouping and when it does happen it isn't for very long, Then there is the overly generic feel of the whole game, and the list of issues goes on and on and on. I mean sure they are I guess minor but there are so many it adds up and just kills any semblance of fun. 

I mean with Super Jump, when you land you take dmg. With Super Speed, your travel is pretty limited because well you can't run up things even small things in the environment. Swinging is just horrible flawed. A trashcan can take you out of flight even if you have invulnerability? Acrobatics simply means run faster and jump higher. Back to swinging.... why is it super jump with some swinging? 

But w/e lol thats just my opinion of CO, yours is obviously different lol. 

Well said. I really wish there was a solid reason that CO sucks but it just...sucks. It's really boring and the power sets arent interesting. I never feel like my character can do exactly what I want it to do. CoH is still the best, though I hope DCUO wins out.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Spiritof55

You all are a bunch of cheap bastards.

You'll waste more than 15 dollars on dinner or a movie, various "important" cell phone charges, magazines and other useless s*** but you refuse to spend 15 dollars for access to a game. 

Now a dev team that expects you to pay 15 a month + item shop = epic fail but my rant still stands.  Alot of you wouldn't pay the 15 bucks with no item mall.

I am more than happy to spend 60 bucks for the game plus 15 a month if the game warrants it, but right now I have no idea how much content is available, and if it will even get me through the first month.

The combat looks great,  but what aside from combat is there?  What content will keep me playing?  Rehashing the same content is something I've done in CoH for years, and though I loved the game at the time,  the only thing that kept me coming back were the content updates. 

If they can show me the game is worth the cost, I'll be happy to play it, and I think, in some aspects, everyone has that point when they see a game that determines if what they are seeing justifies the costs to purchase and sub.  I just don't see enough in this game to warrant that for me.

• Sirr0Sirr0 Member Posts: 55

Not really surprised, but they really should consider lower than standard due to the console end of things,  more like 10 bucks a month etc.    Oh well hopefully I get into the beta to see how it is.

FYI before people start throwing out false information, there's more than 3 powers.  I think that person who said 3 powers is referring to 3 travel powers, this is correct and that is Super Speed, Acrobatics and Flight.  

That's plenty if you ask me, most of the travel powers in CO seemed  either the same or sloppy so I rather have 3 well crafted ones than 10 half assed ones they need to always tweak.  There will be quite a few origins/power types btw, here's a link to some of the basics that we currently know http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Creation

Also they have said there will be other areas around the world/space that are in game, they just have not given any specifics beyond  the moon, Metropolis, Gotham and in the e3 demo  they were in in the Outback.   Considering how many pre-made locals exist in the DC-U I wouldn't be concerned about them having issues putting them in(I would love to see a living and breathing Oa :D )

As for the items in an in-game store, I am not concerned all that much, I played Everquest 2 when they added that in and it was just mostly fluff and +Experience potions etc, nothing game breaking. To me SOE/Blizzard doing this is no different then a hot dog vendor selling chips at his stand too, he's not forcing them on you but they are there if you want them, you still have your hot dog and it's going to get the job done.

• tyanyatyanya Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by thosewhoharp

Well said. I really wish there was a solid reason that CO sucks but it just...sucks. It's really boring and the power sets arent interesting. I never feel like my character can do exactly what I want it to do. CoH is still the best, though I hope DCUO wins out.

Aye the only reason many of us are so skeptical of DCUO is because of how really, really, awful Champions turned out to be...and we nievely thought Cryptic would be able to call on previous experience to raise the bar ... sad =/.

As for subscription fees.....did anyone honestly think an IP like DC would not demand the suport of a subscription, free to play was a nice dream but it was just never really going to happen.

Much as I dont want to get excitied over this title due to those previous let downs, the more I see the more difficult that becomes. Fingers crossed!

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by maskedweasel

You'll waste more than 15 dollars on dinner or a movie, various "important" cell phone charges, magazines and other useless s*** but you refuse to spend 15 dollars for access to a game. 

Now a dev team that expects you to pay 15 a month + item shop = epic fail but my rant still stands.  Alot of you wouldn't pay the 15 bucks with no item mall.

I am more than happy to spend 60 bucks for the game plus 15 a month if the game warrants it, but right now I have no idea how much content is available, and if it will even get me through the first month.

The combat looks great,  but what aside from combat is there?  What content will keep me playing?  Rehashing the same content is something I've done in CoH for years, and though I loved the game at the time,  the only thing that kept me coming back were the content updates. 

If they can show me the game is worth the cost, I'll be happy to play it, and I think, in some aspects, everyone has that point when they see a game that determines if what they are seeing justifies the costs to purchase and sub.  I just don't see enough in this game to warrant that for me.

One thing is that the game doesn't warrant your interest for long time. I pretty much agree, that even if it costs $5 or $50, if you are not playing there is no point in paying. A different thing is to evaluate the actual value which I find pretty much ambitious, kind of mmo wall street. For instance, if wow decided to charge $20, would that be ok? how is that decided? 

• Sirr0Sirr0 Member Posts: 55

This is why I wish they went the  Pay Per "Volume"  pricing, maybe with some item mall(reasonable one of course) instead of monthly.  I hate that last week of your sub, especially if you are getting far in the game, where you are wondering if you have another month of fun left or not. 

I rather play til I am bored, take a break and come back at any time and if something new and cool comes out I buy that volume/episode whatever and enjoy the game again. 

I can't stand seeing that cool content update in the coming soon bracket, and deciding i'll resub for it, only for it to be delayed til the next pay cycle and having to roll another alt to kill time so at least I didnt waste that month, ugh!   

The game does look fun so far and it does have open pvp and 2 sides, something CO really lacked bad so at the very least I think it'll be worth the free month, just hope they can keep up with that,  the sub just makes me feel like i am in the wheel again, something I would like to some day not see in my mmo.

• BlistermixBlistermix Member Posts: 40

Ok so When they say PS3 do they mean PlayStation 3? and save the rude comments I'm just double checking and hopeing to GOD I'm reading that wrong.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Theres no word on an item mall. And this is a million times better than APB's BS hourly thing that idiots with zero sense of time are falling for. And whats the big deal about cash shops. Game devs know better. They know to only offer cosmetic stuff. Especially since its a super hero mmo. You all sound like 12 year olds with no jobs complaining about a standard subscription fee.

SOE = very likely an item mall.  If there is, then that is a killer.

Only cosmetic stuff?  HALF THE POINT OF A SUPERHERO GAME IS COSMETIC STUFF.  If I have to pay real cash just to get my super to look right (on top of a monthly fee and box fee), then the game has failed.

When I heard it might well just be a box-price game, I was interested in this.  I'm getting less and less interested the more I hear though.  I plan on playing ToR and GW2 and possibly FFXIV.  I don't see how the feature set of DCUO is going to match those games so far.

• NiakadNiakad Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Drachasor

Only cosmetic stuff?  HALF THE POINT OF A SUPERHERO GAME IS COSMETIC STUFF. 

Real SuperHeroes would most likely disagree with you :)

It's not about cool looks, it's about saving the world.

Looks are... not that important (No Capes!).

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Well on the plus side at least I can stop following this one now :) 

Decent looking game, neat ideas, but not something I would pay a main MMO price for. If it were more akin to APB's business model or F2P then heck yeah. But as a standard P2P I will pass. 

I wish the game and the devs the best of luck though :) 

I'm glad it's based on subscription.  Keeps the idiots and children out that can't pay. I think the better games will always be subscription based.  Guild Wars was the exception, of course! DCU looks great so far!

An item mall would be grand too! I love the C store in Champions Online....seriously. 

Don't know why everybody expects F2P all the time...... I think you expect too much.  I hope we get away from that trend. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Something else to add to station acess looks like.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

Originally posted by Tokken

Decent looking game, neat ideas, but not something I would pay a main MMO price for. If it were more akin to APB's business model or F2P then heck yeah. But as a standard P2P I will pass. 

I'm glad it's based on subscription.  Keeps the idiots and children out that can't pay. I think the better games will always be subscription based.  Guild Wars was the exception, of course! DCU looks great so far!

An item mall would be grand too! I love the C store in Champions Online....seriously. 

Don't know why everybody expects F2P all the time...... I think you expect too much.  I hope we get away from that trend. 

Actually I'm a pay to play fan lol. DCUO was one of the few F2P's I was considering. While the game looks good and has some very nice mechanics to me it just isn't main MMO worthy because of the type of game it is. This will be a better version of CO but neither has the depth to them from what I've seen to ask for a monthly fee. 

Also it was originally stated that it would be free to play, by an SOE rep lol. 

I hope we get away from the trend of charging more for things than they are worth. As I said, I feel APB will be in the same boat as DCUO, offering a fun game but not delivering much actual depth and they have priced the game accordingly. 

As I said before though I still wish the game and the devs all the best because I do appreciate the mechanics that it's bringing to the genre, I also think DCUO will be a very fun game. If the payment model was different I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. But I know myself and I know after the initial week the game will become something I may play a max of 5 hours a week when I'm bored. Thats not a slight on the game, it's just the type of game it is and  there's nothing wrong with that. I've actually been looking for a side MMO to play when I need a break from my main. I'm looking to replace my main MMO with either GW2 or TSW, likely both if they turn out well then maybe SW:TOR but thats up in the air depending on how launch goes. 

Simply put I won't pay a monthly fee for a game designed in a way that I will more than likely play it for no more than 2-5 hours a week after the initial week or two. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Simply put I won't pay a monthly fee for a game designed in a way that I will more than likely play it for no more than 2-5 hours a week after the initial week or two. 

What about a reduced fee?  If you are getting something, why not pay for it?  APMs make more sense than F2P does for games that are more than just FPS/TPS/RTS.  Tiered levels of service.  You pay for the parts you use, but not the parts that you do not.

If it is a case that you only play a certain amount, then the company might offer a reduced cost sub with a reduced amount of time.  Games where people may play certain xpacs but not others, well - they would just pay for what they play, etc.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

And for those trying to make arguments such as I spend more than 14.99 to do this and that, those held true back in the day but now it's more of why should I pay $15 a month for this when I could spend it on netflix? Gamefly? or Onlive which will be launching it the not so distant future? Why should I spend my $15 on this MMO and not another?

There are plenty of entertainment services now days that make that whole argument null and void. 

Originally posted by VirusDancer

What about a reduced fee?  If you are getting something, why not pay for it?  APMs make more sense than F2P does for games that are more than just FPS/TPS/RTS.  Tiered levels of service.  You pay for the parts you use, but not the parts that you do not.

If it is a case that you only play a certain amount, then the company might offer a reduced cost sub with a reduced amount of time.  Games where people may play certain xpacs but not others, well - they would just pay for what they play, etc.

I already said that would work for me lol. I'm picking up APB because the games fun and allows a flexible payment plan. 30 days of unlimited play for 9.99 or 20 hours of play that doesn't expire for 4.99. And that time only ticks down while in the action district. The social district where you do all your customizations is free. 

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

This is disappointing.  I though they had learned from the mistakes of Cryptic and were going to harness the power of the guild wars pricing model.

Need a bit more info, but at this point I'm thinking I'll pass on this one.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

your funny. let see 7 bucks for 20hrs or 2 more dollars for a hole moth.

• a9taila9tail Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by zaylin 

your funny. let see 7 bucks for 20hrs or 2 more dollars for a hole moth.

Hmm you know mate  its like Prostitute vs Wife kind of thing.I will not elaborate iam quite sure you know what i meant.

btw

Jim Lee serves as the game's Executive Creative Director

and it is PS3 game as well so its SCE  not just SOE , they can not afford to fail.

There is Hope

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by harvest151

Could care less about the sub. I spend that much to see a matinee movie w/popcorn and a coke. It's made by Sony, therefor I will never touch it.

Good for you but i don't go to a movie every month.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by SpeedMann

Originally posted by harvest151

Could care less about the sub. I spend that much to see a matinee movie w/popcorn and a coke. It's made by Sony, therefor I will never touch it.

Good for you but i don't go to a movie every month.

I think the point that some are try to make is that there are many ways entertainment that some of us has used that are a way more expensive in terms of dollars per hour of entertainment. We could argue about quality, but even for the casual gamer mmos is still a cheap source of entertainment, so it is surprising that the argument is about bargaining subscription fee. 

The truth here is that most of us, including myself, while are not convinced at all for DCUO to be more than a temporal game, we wanted to try it for free. So, lets take out the masks and at least admit that. 

I am not sure if I will be playing it from release but I might get it when the price goes down a bit (or if I get some extra money to spend). I still need to see more, so until beta is pretty much uncertain.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by vickter420

Originally posted by Yuui

p2p?

Pass.

P2p+rmt?

Pass + FAIL stamp.

youd think they would take a lesson from cryptic and STO lol

SOE is picking both pockets at once and not even the Justice league of America can protect the soon to be poorer DC fan who is unaware of this Level of  Money Grabbing Tomfoolery that is soon to be unleased by SOE.  

We Must Warn them.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

acces to the game is more useless than anything that you just mentioned.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

OH NO !!The evil game companies are making you pay for the game? THEN they have the nerve to add item malls for cosmetic add ons to make even more money? Dear lord! What is the world coming to when we have to help companies make money!  I mean they should be doing this out of love for there fans right.. Screw their house payments and grocery bills.. 

Some of you need to really grow up LOL