Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCUO: Superhero Combat Sim, or an actual MMORPG with depth?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Alright ... I may be alone in this but I have some concerns regarding DCUO.

Basically, I'm really hoping it's not JUST a great superhero creator tool with massive chaotic online action combat. So far, I understand why they're really pushing the fast action combat as the big selling point but all I have seen is chaotic combat -- not much else that makes an MMORPG and mmoRPG.

So I'm really hoping there will be some social depth to the game... as well as some actual RPG elements aside from 'gear with stats'. Being a role player, this stuff is important to me. I want a 'superhero fantasy experience' out of DCUO, not just the combat part. I want 'ADVENTURE'.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Dont worry man, they are upping the selling points to get people who dont play MMORPGs to give this game a chance, but I know that it will go up to ATLEAST level 50, there will be alot of loot in the game unlike games like City of Heroes/Champions, and this game more than most will make you feel like you are actually growing as a hero/villain. For example, Batman at first might ask you to stop a bank robber when you are low lvl and he wont really respect you, but at a higher level he will ask you to help him take down the Joker or another bad guy, you not only level up and get better gear, but you earn respect of the famous DC heroes and villains. If anything this game will be more emersive because of that.

Mystery Bounty

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by DeaconX

Basically, I'm really hoping it's not JUST a great superhero creator tool with massive chaotic online action combat. So far, I understand why they're really pushing the fast action combat as the big selling point but all I have seen is chaotic combat -- not much else that makes an MMORPG and mmoRPG.

So I'm really hoping there will be some social depth to the game... as well as some actual RPG elements aside from 'gear with stats'. Being a role player, this stuff is important to me. I want a 'superhero fantasy experience' out of DCUO, not just the combat part. I want 'ADVENTURE'.

Nice to see you back more active, DeaconX! :)  I hope you are good and well. ^^

Hm, in a Superhero MMO that is always to wonder. As a longtime reader of Superhero comics I always was more a Marvel than a DC. DC has a bit too much emphasis on these cool uber fights, while in Marvel they have way more story and character development, at least so I feel about it. I guess a Superhero MMo would have to go to GREAT length to transport that into a MMO, essentially making something along the TOR-lines, and I just don't see that. I still think DCU will be fun, because I am a Superhero fan. Actually I enjoyed the fast action from CO, but felt it was too limited in many aspects. If DCU widens the horizon I will be happy, even if it is only an action game, since I can satisfy my great hunger with various games together. I guess we have to see. And I guess we both will see and try, heh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

These are the very reasons why this game above almost all other upcoming titles is one that is definately a wait and see for me. After having played CO and watched the various videos for this one I have my doubts about whether it will be an MMo i can get my teeth into or one where i'll wonder why it's on PC instead of being an arcade game.

I do hope that it turns out to be much more than it seems just now as i love CoH and have done for many years, but it really really needs a successor.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

I'm cautiously optimistic, but DCUO is looking very arcadey and very surface to me right now. Doesn't look like there's any depth there at all. Recent blogger videos of the game made the game seem very, very arcadey. I expected them to be pumping quarters into it the arcade feeling was so strong.

Hopefully I can be shown to be wrong about this.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm, in a Superhero MMO that is always to wonder. As a longtime reader of Superhero comics I always was more a Marvel than a DC. DC has a bit too much emphasis on these cool uber fights, while in Marvel they have way more story and character development, at least so I feel about it. I guess a Superhero MMo would have to go to GREAT length to transport that into a MMO, essentially making something along the TOR-lines, and I just don't see that. I still think DCU will be fun, because I am a Superhero fan. Actually I enjoyed the fast action from CO, but felt it was too limited in many aspects. If DCU widens the horizon I will be happy, even if it is only an action game, since I can satisfy my great hunger with various games together. I guess we have to see. And I guess we both will see and try, heh.

I lurk - even though I don't post so often anymore but thanks :) hope all is well with you too mate.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels caution with DCUO is advisable.  Still hoping for a great experience but... the coming months will have to really impress me with features I think.  Otherwise, I'll just hold out for TOR as I've been doing for years.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Great Threat which covers exacly the "fears" I have too with DCUO. Right now it looks like nothing else than a quick action game with slightly more customisation than usual. Social aspects? Hideouts? Secret Personalities? Take away the Batcave, Bruce Wayne and every thing else which is not Batman itself from the Batman comics & they would surly become very, very boring pretty fast.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by Elikal

This is really BS.  Marvel is just as much about cool uber-fights as DC.  Heck, Marvel arguably has more.

Personally, I like DC because I think the characters are a lot more realistic.  Marvel seems to have this fixation with making their characters do idiotic stuff for drama reasons when it makes no sense (like Spider-man making a LITERAL deal with the devil).