Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get some people into the Game? (Poll)

Comments

• MrSebMrSeb Member Posts: 71

Does anyone know when re-release will happend?....

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'm confused as to the account creation process. Forgive me.

Do we just sign up on the Acclaim EU site for an account, even though they're not officially operating the game?

• EivilSarEivilSar Member Posts: 25

Dude sign up on Acclaim, everything in the world of spellborn happens slowly.. 

I doubt they'll character wipe... Why piss off the supportive playing population, we are the ones that give this game content.

EivilSar, Deathhand of International
    Spellborn PvP

• MegaShempMegaShemp Member Posts: 7

I think your poll is a bit limited in spectrum and fails to allow for responses other than those you have thought relevant to the question. Although you diligently detailed some of the events on the outset of this game, you neglected to present an argument that basically, this game's marketing plan was a failure: it was not placed in any of the few remaining Game retail outlets, so its market was drawn only from those aware of its existence, namely those who play mmo's. The fps aspect of the game is something that should have gained momentum in the greater Gaming community at large- platform fps gamers. As for those who did show up and test out the game, I dont think it was game mechanics as a major basis for the player attrition rate: it was the division of the game community itself into imho too many servers. And its not that younger or newer gamers need to be spoon fed, as I can recall lots of teenagers wanting to play Lineage2 and Eve for the complexity alone, restricted only by age of course.

It really comes down to that on a weekend day or night you couldn't put a basic party/group together on the US servers, let alone initiate a Guild House,and it really wasn't that much better on the Euro servers either for that matter: : this may be a weak analogy but "...here Johnny, Jill and Bobby... you can play in the sandbox together.... until we build walls in it"

So consider adding this Option to your Poll:

* The games Marketing Strategy failed to provide and secure the sound community structure necessary for individual character evolution and account retention.

imjussayin...

• MegaShempMegaShemp Member Posts: 7

And just to let ya know where I'm comin from:

I couldn't wait for this game to release, I read all the back-stories and posts and such on the TCoS site since it was only a page long. How I ached for new game pvp/pve battle structure, to be rid of the 'uber gear' factor, and new artistry etc. I played it until overcome with boredome... Y! Spades was way more intense than this game proved to be.

Epic let-down f'real

and now an Item Shop???  all i can say on that is

/bbq

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

do you have another link to the win7 fix for this? the torrent you posted has 0 seeders. i tried to play it a few times never got it to work i'll try one more time before giving up completely till its offiicially released for the revamp.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I never uninstalled the game, but stoped playing because of low population. If there are around here some clanners, I'd be interested to come back to TCoS.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Ah, I see the OP was updated with a poll.

So let me tell you flat out, you forgot a couple options:

"I played and enjoyed Spellborn, but left when the F2P change was announced"

and...

"I played Spellborn, and then realised that the game wasn't finished at the later levels and would not be finished any time soon"

This game had amazing potential. It was mishandled terribly, and it's a complete and utter shame that it will never be what it could have been.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Ah, I see the OP was updated with a poll.

So let me tell you flat out, you forgot a couple options:

"I played and enjoyed Spellborn, but left when the F2P change was announced"

and...

"I played Spellborn, and then realised that the game wasn't finished at the later levels and would not be finished any time soon"

This game had amazing potential. It was mishandled terribly, and it's a complete and utter shame that it will never be what it could have been.

The Poll has always been there - unfortunately the amount of choices you can put on the poll is limited to only 10 choices so those are the ones i went for in the end..  I know there were more options i wanted to put up but couldnt.

Anyway i think Spellborn is really broke atm - there seems to be a bug stopping people levelling past 9 or even logging onto any character over this level.  And possibly some other server issues :( 

And i completely agree with your last statement ;)

• CzelsiorCzelsior Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by paulrgod

The Poll has always been there - unfortunately the amount of choices you can put on the poll is limited to only 10 choices so those are the ones i went for in the end..  I know there were more options i wanted to put up but couldnt.

Anyway i think Spellborn is really broke atm - there seems to be a bug stopping people levelling past 9 or even logging onto any character over this level.  And possibly some other server issues :( 

And i completely agree with your last statement ;)

when you change your acclaim password before your log in  you can play the whole game.

and you can start the game with the sb_client.exe in your spellborn folder

-The Chronicles of Spellborn-
    Czelsior - Wrathguard LvL 50 -Dorzhan
    Kaiyn - Trickster LvL 50 - Deiquonril

TCoS Gameplay videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior

• syderaidsyderaid Member Posts: 3

hi, can u help me about my patcher? when i try to run it, it says this:

is it really supposed to be like this? ive tried putting on the patch that's on your link but still nothing. i even tried that gameguard thing.

im from the philippines so i was wondering if there are any region restrictions for this game.

you have to start the game from your spellborn folder

/The Chronicles of Spellborn/bin/Client/sb_client.exe

run the "sb_client.exe"

TCoS Gameplay videos

i get this when i try to run sb.client

do i need another kind of file for this one? though i tried putting gameguard.des as stated in this thread..

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Good post! Rather inspiring - as it even tempted me to give it another shot.

I also did not see my option listed. I played a free trial of spellborn a while ago and I thought it was pretty cool. The trial only let me get to level 5, and I just couldnt find a reason to purchase it as none of my friends played and I didnt really have a full scope on what the game had to offer, such as end game, pvp etc.

Even more so.. I think your post was actually more informative than the free trial I played. So thanks for that. I might actually give this game another shot.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

i tried every last way to enter the game from installing from scratch.  answer is - You Can't.  i tried adding new gameguard files/reinstalling it 15 times (game and adding files) have every last update. im sorry but seems like this game has bit the dust till the free version comes out this fall/winter.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by fatboy21007

i tried every last way to enter the game from installing from scratch.  answer is - You Can't.  i tried adding new gameguard files/reinstalling it 15 times (game and adding files) have every last update. im sorry but seems like this game has bit the dust till the free version comes out this fall/winter.

i was just in the game...

The game still looks great and is still somewhat fun and fresh.

After trying this game out long ago, i noticed something really failsauce... is it my raiding computer or is the TCoS game graphics/lag somewhat choppy? I tried lowering my settings but it still feels choppy and it's starting to hurt my sensitive man eyes :(

I really don't like games with poor animation fluidity and this game still looks like it's lagging or processing too much unnecessary stuff.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

I've been logging in from time to time, i have lvl 24 trickster, but i tried it just now and it says that my subscription is over when i select character at character selection screen and press "enter world" .

change your acclaim password before you log in and it will work.

TCoS Gameplay videos

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44

I'm downloading the game now. I would say that whats turning ppl away is first of all the download issues then if they dig deeper to find a way to get the game they start to read about the low pop and lack of support from Acclaim and pass at that point.

I am looking fowerd to playing. It does look good.

I'm running windows 7 and hope I don't run into any issues with it.

i really wanted to try this game but im having problems with running sb_client.exe (see my post above) geez..

is there a way to fix that? :(

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

I really liked this game. I agree that it has the most unique and fun combat system. Planning your deck out to allow for various combinations to fit different situations tickles my strategy bone. And then being able to properly use the skill deck in combat really makes you feel as if you're accomplishing something through your skill rather than just mashing the same buttons over and over.

The world is gorgeous. I love the artwork of this game. The classes are unique and fun. And again, the combat is just fantastic.

As for why it's not doing great? Well there are many reasons that I see. 

1. No support. 

2. No development. This and the support issue pretty much ensures many people won't go near it.

3. No marketing. Nobody knows this game exists.

4. Little known names behind it. Lets face it, if a game doesn't have Blizzard, SOE, Mythic, Bioware, etc. it tends to slip through the cracks of the average game player.

5. Low population.

6. No arrows telling you exactly what to do for quests. Sorry, that was funny. However there is some truth there. Before they made some changes the quests reminded me of old school EQ quests where an NPC would tell you some vague statement that barely hints at what you're supposed to do. It's better now, but it's still more difficult than many people enjoy.

7. Inaccessibility. This wasn't always an issue. I hadn't even heard about the inability to download and log in until recently. This must be a recent development. Not many gamers want to work hard to try and get  a game to run though. 

The only reason I stopped playing is because I have limited time to play games and I like to play MMO games with other people when I do have time. Unfortunately this requires games that have higher populations and excellent grouping systems. I liked the game enough that I invested in getting a year subscription after beta, but within a few months the population just wasn't enough.

When I heard they were re-developing it and making it F2P this excited me. If they spread the word and do some decent marketing there might just be enough new people that the world will seem populated again. That would be wonderful.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I was in the beta of this game.  Or at least I would have been if I could have gotten a client that actually loaded on my PC.I posted my complaints only to be ignored or told I had no reason to complain by the brain-dead Spellborn community.

Now the developer's incompetence is catching up with them as and the fanboys get to finally witness the results of not seeing the obvious signs on the wall.

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/29/chronicles-of-spellborn-shutting-down/#continued

Running a MMORPG is more than just coming up with cool ideas, it's about successfully  *implementing* them.   These developers never had what it takes to do that.   

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Double post

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

I played this for a little while.  The number one thing that turned me off was the lack of immersion.  The combat was interesting, but I didn't feel any kind of connection to the world.  The setting was very generic and unpolished.  I'll certainly try the updated version once it's released.  I like the design philosohpy of this game, it just needs better writing and execution.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• x_raikax_raika Member Posts: 1

Hey! I LOVE the look of this game, I checked out so many screenshots and vids! Awesome.

I'm just having a problem with downloading it. If someone can guide me through the process, that be great! I'm new to most of this, so I don't know what to do. I've tried to do what you wrote, but I mess up somewhere. Anyone? :D

~Raika