Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Armor and stats...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

From http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

Q:  Do traits in Guild Wars 2 replace attributes in Guild Wars?

Ben: Traits partially replace attributes in that they allow a player to customize their character beyond the choices they make with their skill bar. However, we do have a set of attributes that more directly replace those that we had in Guild Wars. Instead of being heavily profession oriented, these attributes are more general, much like those you’d find in other RPGs.

- From this quote i learn that armor stats will be like other MMO's (EQ, WoW)

- We have learned from previous interviews that these armor Stats will not influence Competitive PvP, as Competitive PvP has its own ballanced sets of Armor.

- We also have learned that these stats will be of influence in PvE and WvW PvP.

Since Arenanet is building a more traditional MMO, with maybe some kind of traditional endgame, how important will these stats be on the armor?  

Will it be the drive for people to finish certain (endgame PvE) content?

I personally hope for a good mix, where better armor gives some  advantages, but skill and choosen traits are atleast just as important.  (I also hope that crafters will have some role in this process....but more on that in another post)

Or will it be of minor influence like in the orriginal DAoC ....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I think they mentioned somewher that theyre creating the gear importance on the GW1 philosphy, so I expect only minor to 40% importance...

to compare it to GW1 I think that Gear would give bonuses between +2 to +5 to attributes (meaning GW1 like blood magic/strength etc..you know what I mean) with endgame bonuses being +5 per item (dont forget that GW2 will have general attributtes, not class based)

And attributed point per lvl would be like in GW1 (lvl1-1, lvl 2-2...)

I think that would be enough to make loot important but not skillless a system...

hmm maybe I would even reduce this number :D

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

If it isn't a gearcentric game, it is less likely to be datamined like other major titles.

This can only be a good thing :)

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

I`d really like this game to be focused on the player skill instead of the player depending on the quality of it`s gear. From what I`ve seen so far gw2 will fill my requirements.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I hope there's some gear influence, but not so much. While grinding to purchase an armor for its skin was nice, the zero improvements from it also felt empty. When you live in a fantasy world of combat, the main things driving gear purchases are either a replacement (they're not going to feature durability of any kind, that's my bet) so we're left with the second desire, power. Sure, you can also look cool, but you're only desiring that because it's not a harsh realistic environment.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I don't expect it to be heavily focused on gear or leveling, because Guild Wars roots from MTG, not D&D. I can't say I'd run from the game if they disappoint my expectations in this regard (I love carrots, thank you), but it would certainly make it one step closer to being just another MMO.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

The devs have never made it a secret that the game will have armor and weapon levels that correspond to character levels. You will only get the most powerfull at the endgame. There are some rabid gw1 fans who hate this direction of gw2, but I think the vast majority will like this change. It just becomes a little boring that you suddenly can't get better armor and weapons.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Leonona

The devs have never made it a secret that the game will have armor and weapon levels that correspond to character levels. You will only get the most powerfull at the endgame. There are some rabid gw1 fans who hate this direction of gw2, but I think the vast majority will like this change. It just becomes a little boring that you suddenly can't get better armor and weapons.

Games like DAoC and GW could succeed without it because they offered a mostly PvP endgame.

Gear is one of the drives to keep MMO players going on...   I think its okay as long as it does not become the sole reason to play a game.  Next to that while i don't think its bad that gearstats influence battles its sad when it becomes the sole deciding factor in most battles.

I am certain that Arena net will find the right path to sattisfy all.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Originally posted by Leonona

troll...

anyway,

if you GvG all day or w/e its gonna be called same armor, same weapons.

if your gonna WvW all day similar, but not a "omg lets go grind some shit endlessly, to get it."

lifeless grinding tools will not be needed here.

Anet is about looking cool and kicking ass without giving your life up to do it.

BUT, there will be some hot skins so we can play a new round of armor barbie, which is gonna be much more gratifying because your gonna be on TV.  I mean right?

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

ArenaNet got it right the first time... so I'm sure they will this time too.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I personally hope for a good mix, where better armor gives some  advantages, but skill and choosen traits are atleast just as important.  (I also hope that crafters will have some role in this process....but more on that in another post)

Me too. Items should matter but not be all that matters.

In the original GW I got my green bow after a few months (and i had 2 others, one for pulling and one gold without vampiric for when the mobs are few), after that the only thing I upgraded was cosmetic things and a few runes. There just werent any better things around.

That was kinda boring. On the other hand is changing your gear every 6 hours also crappy. Something in between would be nice.

But in many games are a regular sword useless after just a few hours played, you will need a master crafted enchanted Mithril sword with ogre decapitation +500 after that to be able to kill even the wussiest of things. That is also really stupid, I could kill any human (who is wearing cloth and no shield) and most animals who get close with a regular sword.

On the other hand should a master crafted or enchanted sword be better than something some blacksmith made from old horseshoes.

But ANet is competent, I trust they will get it right. My only fear is that players will whine them into upping the difference too much like Funcom did with AoC.

I do like the prospect that an enchanter might be able to place a certain skill into a sword...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Me too. Items should matter but not be all that matters.

In the original GW I got my green bow after a few months (and i had 2 others, one for pulling and one gold without vampiric for when the mobs are few), after that the only thing I upgraded was cosmetic things and a few runes. There just werent any better things around.

That was kinda boring. On the other hand is changing your gear every 6 hours also crappy. Something in between would be nice.

But in many games are a regular sword useless after just a few hours played, you will need a master crafted enchanted Mithril sword with ogre decapitation +500 after that to be able to kill even the wussiest of things. That is also really stupid, I could kill any human (who is wearing cloth and no shield) and most animals who get close with a regular sword.

On the other hand should a master crafted or enchanted sword be better than something some blacksmith made from old horseshoes.

But ANet is competent, I trust they will get it right. My only fear is that players will whine them into upping the difference too much like Funcom did with AoC.

I do like the prospect that an enchanter might be able to place a certain skill into a sword...

An ideal system to me would be a system that lets me build and develope a weapon through crafting (Where top crafting requires drops from extreme places, like end bosses) I can start with a level 3 sword and keep adding things to it through crafting.. And even change the form/looks of my sword through crafting, but it would be my sword and stay my sword....

Sure if the story allowed for it i could replace the sword with the sword gifted to me by my secret love the queen of farfaraway, or the dagger that we found in the dragons treausure, anything should be possible giving crafters a place in the world as being essential to get the best stuff without making dungeon runs and boss events useless for upgrading gear.