Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for gaming Laptop

kverikkverik Member Posts: 55

Starting school soon living in dorms due to I don't want to drive like 2-3 hours every day. Don't want to bring my desktop with me either its big. So Laptop is where it is at, truth be told I really don't know alot about pc parts at all friend through together my desktop for me. 

Any ways I want a laptop that is able to play most of the rts games max settings if possible C&C4, SC2 that kinda thing, being able to play wow max settings would not be bad either. I would also like one from best buy if possible just due to me having a large credit limit no intrest their.

A friend of mine was saying this ASUS can play MW2 max settings at like 50 fps, and well yeah that seems really good links not working if you want to see the lap top itself 

Bestbuy->Laptops->Gaming->Asus->the 1200$ one.

Copy pasting specs.

Does this look like it would be worth the money and play well on most rts/mmos? if not please could you link me to a better looking one pref not over 2k. (Sorry for long post)

Comments

• jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

It will run almost anything currently on the market, and it'll run it well. It's also a pretty good deal, same specs MSI laptop costs ~1400$ - http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/12/msi-ships-17-inch-gx740-complete-with-core-i7-and-radeon-hd-587/ ....

However it is a laptop with barely any upgradability and therefore will consequently be obsolete within a few years. The same cost desktop would go a lot longer....  Just sayin'

Good Luck

Beo

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
    i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

It's important to note that the Mobility Radeon HD 5870 is only as powerful as a desktop 5770 (in fact it basically is just a re-named desktop 5770).

Now, that isn't bad, by any means, but a single desktop 5770 is only so powerful, and barely able to play today's games at their highest settings at a decent resolution as it is (and I can think of a few games it wouldn't). Between that and the lack of upgradability, trying to run a laptop, even a very high end one, as a primary gaming machine is going to get you into trouble only a year or two down the line, as games beyond the computer's capabilities come out, leaving you with no means to upgrade a machine that's only 1/2 to 1/3 the power of an equivlanently priced desktop to begin with.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

That's a really good laptop for $1200.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by noquarter

That's an insanely good laptop for $1200.

Fixed.

I wish I could have found that deal about a month ago when I bought my machine. I couldn't find anything with a 17.3" that had a decent GFX and Processor combo for anything under $1500ish. I settled for a 17.3" i5 4gb ATI 5470 for $950. The one in this thread beats the ever living hell out of my machine. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

MSI had a laptop at $1300 last month that had almost the same exact specs as that ASUS.  They are refreshing it as well in the next month.

• kidgokidgo Member Posts: 7

the alienware m17x is clearly the best gaming laptop on the market currently........  but is really bad at over heating.....

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Look for something with a bigger screen, if you can get it. There are 18.4 inch models available if you look, and some of them are very reasonably specced at the price.

Trying to play immersive games on smaller screens is annoying. In this situation, bigger IS better.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

That is a very good laptop for the price IMO.

That being said in 1-2 years it will be somewhat outdated and unable to be upgraded.

If you want something for school that will last you a few years then I would go for it, understanding that sooner or later it will run out of oomph for gaming.

IMO sounds like it would be perfect for your needs and even after a bit of time will still be able to run most games at a decent setting. And then when you finish school you can buy or build whatever you want.

Good luck with your school =)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

In this generation of laptops there are only 3 worth looking at.  ACER, MSI, and ASUS.

• Killerbee124Killerbee124 Member Posts: 10

The most renowned gaming computers in the business are dell alien ware laptops and desktops.

The speed of these devices make them ideal for any gamer looking for some online relief

I STRONGLY suggest you check out these incredible pieces of awesomeness!

~Killerbee124