Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help deciding which MMO

TomofgodTomofgod Member Posts: 4

Well after 4~ years on WoW I now find myself logging in, standing around and just talking, I dont like raiding and PvP for me is only fun for 2 hours at most so I think its time I ventured to another MMO....

I am having alot of trouble deciding which to start, I have a Aion account(not active) and a Warhammer Online account(not active) I always get caught up in the hype and buy them the day of release im a sucker for that! I also have a LOTRO account but im going to wait til it turns to a free to play game before I delve into that because then I wont have to force myself to play it just because I have subscription....

Ive considered Ultima Online, I last played that in 2002 I think and its the game that got me into RPG's really spending hours a week as a kid playing it, But Ive heard that its not very good on widescreen 1920x1080 reso and I know the graphics are a little outdated, I would possibly like something more eye catching...

Ok so what im looking for in a bullet-point format :

• Visually stunning (I have HD graphics)

• Theres more to do in the game than killing PvP and PvE, e.g lots of crafting

• Has a good playerbase

• A game that doesnt force a story line upon you (you can pick up quests and go kill xxx)

• Doesnt feel like a Job where you have to play 7 hours to do something insignificant

• Not Sci-Fi

Well thats about it, im willing to hear any suggestions I will very greatful for any replies...

Also I am willing to give WAR and Aion another go If they have fixed bugs and such and is a bit more stable..

Comments

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

This sounds exactly like me and how I've been feeling for a while. Been playing WoW on and off since 2005 and bought a few of the "WoW killers" as soon as they came out: Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Aion. Played all of them, more some than others, and always went back to WoW. Well, this time around..in this massive dry time before Cataclysm, I feel WoW is at an all time low. I'm doing nothing but standing around in Dalaran whenever I log in, and wonder what to do. Raiding ICC once a week in a casual/semi-hardcore guild isn't cutting it, no one to Arena with (only form of PvP which can provide better gear for my char) BG's are just a passtime it feels. I'm not big into crafting and besides I hate WoW crafting ez mode 1 day to 450 type crap.

I'm more of a PvP guy and always have been so that's why I quickly bought the three games I listed above. I recently went back to Warhammer Online and I'll tell you, it's improved a lot and this is how the game should have been at launch. The game feels significantly smoother, less buggy and just a whole lot more streamlined than release. The problems with it are T2 and even worse, T3 quite dead where as T1 and T4 are populated quite heavily. I love it more than WoW for being able to level in PvP/RvR where that is something that will take forever in WoW. My biggest problem with the game is that I just don't feel that it has staying power, it's lacking something that other games like WoW has to keep me interested. It simply feels like a good game that I can hop on for an hour or two and get a PvP fix and then log out. I'm looking for a more fleshed out game with a more complex world and I'm trying to lean more to PvE now since I've had so many upsets with PvP games as of late.

In terms of Aion, I played till around level 27-28 and flat out quit. The game, albeit beautiful, was too much of a grind for me, especially in the midst of my first year of University haha. I loved the graphics in it, the sound, the environments, it really had a rich atmosphere, the customization was great. Wasn't too crazy about the PvP as melee seemed to be disadvantaged in air. I've been pretty interested in testing the 1.9 waters but unfortunately I sold the account months ago. Oh well!

I quit Age of Conan around level 45 since the game felt so empty and half complete when it launched. The PvP was brutal and fun; loved how it was FFA and the fatalities are crazy. The graphics are intense, they are full DX10! I've been really interested in trying Rise of the Godslayer but I haven't heard/seen enough about it/the imrpovements to spend the money + a new month sub on it.

I'd say try Warhammer Online again, you will be eligible for free 10 days since your account has been inactive for a while (what I did, I'm on last few days of it). I probably won't re-sub just because I feel it's lacking that pull factor; I simply enjoy it as a quick PvP fix, which it does quite alright. The T1 is a complete zerg and does get pretty boring after a while, I found myself enjoying leveling through the scenario's. Also, if you do try Aion, let me know what 1.9 is like. If it's really improved things, I may buy a new account.

I'm probably just going to continue playing games like Left 4 Dead 2 / steam games until Cataclysm, SW:KOTOR, or DC Universe.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Play FFXI. It's kinda the opposite of WoW. It's very group based, challenging, immersive, has lots of stuff to do other than just killing things, and doesn't force a storyline/quests on you. The graphics are outdated but way better than UO's. I actually think they're better than WoW's too. If you don't like WoW anymore you probably won't like games like AoC, WAR, LotR either.

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by LotosSlayer

Play FFXI. It's kinda the opposite of WoW. It's very group based, challenging, immersive, has lots of stuff to do other than just killing things, and doesn't force a storyline/quests on you. The graphics are outdated but way better than UO's. I actually think they're better than WoW's too. If you don't like WoW anymore you probably won't like games like AoC, WAR, LotR either.

I probably wouldn't reccomend FFXI since it's the oldest of all these games listed, the graphics are not that great, the game is a grind! No PvP as far as I know, it really does not match his criteria. Also, I would not necessarily say that just because he is bored with WoW, that he will dislike AoC, WAR, LOTR, Aion etc. They may resemble WoW in a few ways but all have their own unique feel, especially AoC.

• TomofgodTomofgod Member Posts: 4

Thanks for your replies guys :)

Ive decided to give Aion another go and within 1 hour of playing I feel there has been some sort of change, I dont know what it is but when I last played I remember feeling like "something is wrong" when walking around and killing, then I rememberd Ive had a new GFX card since then! I think the graphics got a big boost with my new card....

anyway I am really enjoying it so far, Its a little bit lonely on the server im on I guess many are high level now, but I kind of like the quietness I can walk around and do my thing without being bothered :)

and this is what I like the most, the enviroment , its very calming :)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7375/aion0001kk.jpg

and I flipped a coin to decided to go to Aion, Warhammer Vs Aion, Aion won :)

thanks again for replies.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Tomofgod

Ive decided to give Aion another go and within 1 hour of playing I feel there has been some sort of change, I dont know what it is but when I last played I remember feeling like "something is wrong" when walking around and killing, then I rememberd Ive had a new GFX card since then! I think the graphics got a big boost with my new card....

anyway I am really enjoying it so far, Its a little bit lonely on the server im on I guess many are high level now, but I kind of like the quietness I can walk around and do my thing without being bothered :)

ewwww bad choice imo

I can think of dozens of MMOs that I would rather be playing than those.

Try Darkfall.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• IsisphIsisph Member Posts: 11

Hm.. for some time Fallen earth and eve online rank on the top in this site.. anyone already tried it?

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

Looking soley at the choice between WAR and Aion, I think you've made the better choice.  Although take a fair warning, it's still quite a bit of grind and endgame is still rather dry at this point.  This is coming from someone who's still actually playing it.  The journey upwards is still kinda fun, but the end of the road drops into a chasm of nothingness.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Originally posted by Tomofgod

ewwww bad choice imo

I can think of dozens of MMOs that I would rather be playing than those.

Try Darkfall.

I don't think DFO fits the OP's Criteria lol. 

APB might be worth checking out, log in and get straight to the fun when you want. Or hang out in the social district and customize your toon, clothing, cars, accessories, theme music, etc with some massively in-depth customization options. 

Well to be honest your criteria list leaves out most MMO's. 

I'd say FE but it's scifi-ish with the post appocolyptic setting but it's crafting iis really good. 

MO maybe, crafting is supposed to be ok and looks ok (Has full nudity though so keep that in mind before playing it lol). But it doesn't have a very good playerbase. 

DFO but there isn't much to do besides PvP and PvE and the player base is very small. Looks ok. There is harvesting and crafting but.... there both fairly boring systems. You can however go around and look for chests.  The population is extremely low. 

hmm... well to be honest your best bet to me seems to be with some of the newer MMO's comming out but a lot of them are a good ways off lol. 

Free to plays I'm not very familiar with I know of a few but haven't tried to many. 

Current pay to plays pretty much focus on PvE and or PvP and you will be either quest grinding or traditional grinding (Killing mobs until you level rinse and repeat).