Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racial traits.

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

We now that a character will have skills based on class and racial choice.

In the description of the traits system i did not read anything yet on racial traits, only on class based traits.  But i guess with all i know from the game that there should also be racial traits.

Can anyone confirm this...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I don't recall reading any word on racial traits, but, like you, I am hopeful. It would further serve the notion of character customization, which I feel is an area Arenanet is sensitive to.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Talthanys

I don't recall reading any word on racial traits, but, like you, I am hopeful. It would further serve the notion of character customization, which I feel is an area Arenanet is sensitive to.

Yes it would be a good indication that a character consists of 2 parts... which both are important...

a CLass part and a racial part....  so no more 2 classes to choose, but now a meaningfull race choice and a meaningfull class choice.  Just the switching between 2nd classes is no more.

We allready know that different races give different skills for a certain class..... So lets hope they tell us about racial traits soon

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I hate to put it that way but I think the racials will be kind of similar to wow (grr I hate that term) only that the elite one should be lot more powerful...

I hope Im wrong because since then adding racials to skill slot would be quite uneffective since there are only 5free slots for skills

I will look for some Q&A about racials

I dont know about racial traits tho...who knows, but I hope for it;)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

There won't be racial traits. I'll dig up the interview that says this but it has been stated that racial skills can't be traited.

Edit: Here it is, it's in French but I'll post the relevant quote. http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/27250/entretien-exclusif-eric-flannum-lead-designer-arenanet

Are some traits common to certain professions, or are they exclusive to their profession? Are there racial traits?

Each trait is profession exclusive. Some, which might share a similar function (like increasing melee damage) are obtained in totally different fashions. We tested racial trait’s a bit, but they posed too many balance issues and are currently not in the game"

Originally posted by arenasb

There won't be racial traits. I'll dig up the interview that says this but it has been stated that racial skills can't be traited.

Edit: Here it is, it's in French but I'll post the relevant quote. http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/27250/entretien-exclusif-eric-flannum-lead-designer-arenanet

Are some traits common to certain professions, or are they exclusive to their profession? Are there racial traits?

Each trait is profession exclusive. Some, which might share a similar function (like increasing melee damage) are obtained in totally different fashions. We tested racial trait’s a bit, but they posed too many balance issues and are currently not in the game"

Seems that answers the question...

Thank you so much.

[[Was a good interview, with some more good info]]

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

If GW2 was just a PvE game I don't think racial traits would be much of a problem, but Arenanet wants to create the best PvP game out there, so balance must have first priority. They have said they will have seperate skills for PvE and PvP just like they did in GW1, so perhaps they'll also split up traits.

Originally posted by Leonona

They have said they will have seperate skills for PvE and PvP just like they did in GW1

Not really....  They said that in competitive PvP you will have all skills available at all times. (And i guess all traits too)

But they also said that in world PvP and PvE you only have the skills and traits you played free by questing and other actions

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Leonona

They have said they will have seperate skills for PvE and PvP just like they did in GW1

Not really....  They said that in competitive PvP you will have all skills available at all times. (And i guess all traits too)

But they also said that in world PvP and PvE you only have the skills and traits you played free by questing and other actions

What I mean is that in gw1 you have skills that have different powerlevels and might do slightly differerent things in PvE and PvP. They have said they will do the same thing in gw2 to keep PvP balanced. I'm just suggesting they do the same thing with traits.

• Asuran21Asuran21 Member Posts: 9

It wouldn't work well in PvE either. If racial traits were introduced, they may start a 'meta'. It' would make it be like an Asuran Elementalist is better than a Charr Elementalist, which Arenanet has stated will not happen. So they want to keep that statement true to keep all Professions of a different Race type equal.

Originally posted by Asuran21

It wouldn't work well in PvE either. If racial traits were introduced, they may start a 'meta'. It' would make it be like an Asuran Elementalist is better than a Charr Elementalist, which Arenanet has stated will not happen. So they want to keep that statement true to keep all Professions of a different Race type equal.

If done smart, it could also mean that  Asura are better earth ellemetalists and Charr are better fire ellementalists..  It can be ballanced..

But then this discussion is useless as we now know that there will not be any racial traits.... Its allways better to discuss what will be instead of what could have been.