Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

back after 10 years

worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187

well being back after 10 years im habing a blast !! its been a few days now the first day i came was kinda quite but then ijoined up in a guild and im talkin to alot of peolpe who are returing players and even some new players !!! this is looking good like i always say if a community wants things to happen dont always depends ont he DEVS sometimes the COmmunity need to act as one and GO OUT THERE. Goto other mmo website and log into the forums and write topics how EQ STILL KICK SO MUCH butt and how players who are lookin for a mmo should give it a try and how old players should come back !!!! email your friends

Comments

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

I would make a instant return of Tallon Zek or Vallon Zek server returned , I've played all the PvP servers and the team pvp was the best. Than again I might return and simple do old epic quests for some fun.

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187

its great things have improved ! im taking it slow atm lvling up slow

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Does EQ still have harsh death penalties and trains?

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

ofcourse it does, but eq 1 is amaizng

Originally posted by bambook

ofcourse it does, but eq 1 is amaizng

That's good news; I want a game with a harsh death penalty and trains.  Makes things more challenging and immersive.

How does EQ run off of Windows 7 64 bit, and how is the player base now?  Any low and mid-level activity at all?  Everyone hanging out in certain zones (besides POK)?

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by pencilrick

How does EQ run off of Windows 7 64 bit, and how is the player base now?  Any low and mid-level activity at all?  Everyone hanging out in certain zones (besides POK)?

I have W7 64 bit and it runs fine, but you need to install DX9 for it to work since W7 comes with DX10. And you might need to run it as administrator to make it work.

I just talk in the game now and don't actively play, the population is quite low. They just merged the servers, but it's still too low for me to feel like I'm in an MMO.

Everyone hangs out in the guild lobby instead of pok now, the guild lobby has a buff freeze, as in they don't count down.

Many people treat EQ as a social network without playing it though. The raiding is still pretty strong but grouping is almost dead (at every level) with a few exceptions.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Does EQ still have harsh death penalties and trains?

Not sure why the OP said "yes", but no it doesn't anymore. You still lose xp but you can now buy summon stones that summon your corpse to you and buy a cleric to rez you, which restores 96% of your lost xp.

Trains are really rare, I never liked them though, when you do get trained it's intentional now, not an accident like in the past. The zones usually don't have enough players to get killed by a train, but people who want to kill you still train.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Harsh penalty like the old days?  No.  But harsh penalty in today's standards?  Yes.  It's one of the few games you still lose exp upon death in, and there's no ghost for you to run past agro mobs while being dead.  But you no longer have to retrieve your corpse, and you don't drop items on your corpse.  You can still retrieve your corpse if you want to, saves you a trip to run to pok to summon it.  But the penalty isn't as harsh as it was before.

Still, for today's standards, it's harsher than most MMO's out there.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

i too have returned after a bit of time off.  If i were you i would not lvl slowly.  go to the hotzones pusht hat lvl up to the 60's - 70's.  there you will fine a lot more groups and get your hands on some of that defiant gear, it makes life nicer.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Everquest is still one of the greatest MMO's on the market as for what it provides it players. Downside to the game in my opinion is now the game is AA heavy and not really LVL heavy yet it still takes awhile to do both of these tasks. And to get to level 85 is a long road and yet being 85 doesnt really help you. You need to be 85 with 300+ AA's to be effective and the AA amount actually varys depending on what class you are. If you want to become a Warrior it takes upward of 1000 AA's to be even useful to a Group at 85 if your going to be the tank of that group. With that grip aside EQ is still the greatest MMO and once u make 85 and get ur minimum amount of AA's that makes you effective you will enjoy the game.

also as to the death penelty, yes you can get a merc and get 96% of ur xp bak but thats 4% out of what you lost is lost and if u die multiple times over and over you will start to lose xp. And yes its not EQ of the old days but its more of a death penalty u will find in most MMO's

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I don't think i could ever go back my wife and I left shortly after the Scars of Velious. The game just got expansion happy and I discovered the greatnes that WAS DAoC.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by bastionix

I have W7 64 bit and it runs fine, but you need to install DX9 for it to work since W7 comes with DX10. And you might need to run it as administrator to make it work.

Just thought I'd point out, Windows 7 comes with all DX versions included in one happy little family. When you download an Direct X update SDK, it also updates all DX versions ( DX7 through DX11 ).

And glad to see people still enjoy good ol' EQ.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

The dealth penalty wasn't harsh even in the old days. Never had a problem getting a rez, even when out in the middle of no where. I tried it several months ago again and had some fun too, even grouped a little in lower levels. Quit for a bit, and just never started back again, heh.

I've been tempted to go back or try eq2 again, but keep putting it off.

• NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

Heh, haven't played myself for 10 years, was wondering what people thought of the game, was considering returning to my first true vidya love. Main concern is population and RP, do people still RP?

It's gonna be SO freakin' different playing this now, you know how old I was back in the day on my paladin? I was 10, I was the youngest friggin' person playing EQ.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i been gone about 7 years myself and i have been so tempted to return many times.

But EQ1 holds special memories to me ,not only the way the game was but the people .Most have moved on in life to other mmorpg or just quit playing mmorpg.

I would like to keep this memories as it was .

• LissLiss Member Posts: 48

have you guys looked into project1999?