Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Will Male Miqo'te and Female Roegadyn ever be playable?" {Answered}

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

And there ya have it, all ya numnuts that wanted these race/gender combinations to be playable.  They are there and more than likely will be playable in the near-to-distant future, just not immediately at launch.  Knowing Square-Enix rather well and their attitude over the past 8 years when it came to FFXI, about certain things, they did eventually make it into the game. 

Thats one of the best things about SE, if something isn't ready, they don't half-ass it and put it in the game anyway, it will be postponed until a later date.  However, when certain features were not completely ready for release in FFXI it would sometimes take an additional 3-6 month before it would resurface and be available in the next Version Update!

Eorzeapedia: There is a growing group in the community who would like to see the implementation of Male Miqo’te and Female Roegadyn in FINAL FANTASY XIV. Are there plans to make these yet to be seen gender and race combination playable? If not, what made you decide not to work them into FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Tanaka: Actually all of the design is ready, so we were planning to implement them into the game, however during the development process we had to put priority with what to put into the game, and due to the man power issue we had to give up implementing them into the beginning of the game. You will see them as an NPC, but it is not a race that you can choose at the beginning. We’ll see how it goes in the future, it might be a possiblity. We are still looking into it.

Comments

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

It's probably a translation thing, but I am a bit confused by the statement:

1. Design work is finished.

2. Development team does not have the hours to add.

I thought design was 80-90% of the work for adding character models?  Perhaps someone with more experience in game design can help translate that for me?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I don't get it either.

They have the models done, they would need to make some hairstyles,faces,ecc but that doesn't take much and the animations just need to be adjusted from the female miqo'te.

But I'm not a pro coder/designer so dunno..

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

They will have to have all of the class abilities, and all the different ways it would effect them to their counterparts. I could see why they aren't ready yet. Example: In FFXI all the races had different animations for whatever, like casting a spell or summoning. Anyhow, better for it to be ready than just be half done.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I think they meant they were already finished with the existing races, while other races only had few NPC models available. Thus they had to prioritize (an unknown concept to most MMO players, sadly). 

They could have thought about this during the early development of the game, but right now his answer is pretty reasonable. You don't generally fiddle around with new races during beta testing, which is pretty damn crucial timespan for the game to ensure that the systems are working as they should and some kind of balance is achieved. Too bad, let's move on.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Just cause the models are done doesn't mean all the player armor is complete, which is prolly why this is being held up.  With the Male Miqo'te all the armor already designed for the Female Miqo'te have breasts and it'd have to be redrawn without them, and the same for Female Roegadyn, all the Male Roegadyn armor would have to be redrawn to include breasts.

Same goes for both races hairstyles, Square-Enix actually designs their headgear to blend with their hairstyles, where you can clearly still see your hair depending on the type of helm you're wearing.  Unlike most other MMOs that simple delete their hairstyles when you equip helms.

Thats some incredible amount of additional reworking to be done, especially if you look at how many unique pieces of gear there are in FFXI.

An example, this is my Mithra in full Blue Mage Artifact Gear, and you can still see my hair sticking out around the edges and hanging down in front... {yes the hair and glasses are a custom .dat, as well as a darker version of the BLU AF}