Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online Will be Pay To Play!!!

MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Hey guys, incase some of you havent heard it was announced at the E3 Expo DCUO will be pay to play, the fee will be $15 a month! I am excited about this, now all the free to play people can go on their merry way

Mystery Bounty

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I welcome this choice. I prefer MMOs to have a "flatrate" payment model.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• michaelmnnmichaelmnn Member Posts: 39

I a fan of any type payment model for a good game. But as long as there is something being said about the payments option i am happy. I wonder how much it will cost retail. I would assume $60 at first =/

• lakalakalakalaka Member Posts: 2

are u sure? can u provide a link!?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Yes please provide the link.  I was hoping it was a B2P game like they hinted at originally.  I was hoping to just buy the game and play for free monthly  and only have to pay for expansions.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Here is a link: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010-dc-universe-online-takes-it-up-a-notch/#continued

Since its SOE it will probably be monthly sub + microtransactions so I dont see how this is good news.

I was hoping that the PS3 version would be like GW, buy the box and then extra stuff with microtransactions...

Oh well, keep waiting for a decent MMO for PS3!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by MysteryB

Hey guys, incase some of you havent heard it was announced at the E3 Expo DCUO will be pay to play, the fee will be $15 a month! I am excited about this, now all the free to play people can go on their merry way

There will be plenty of people playing this game no matter the payment model. Myself included. Although, I was kind of hoping for something a little less......unoriginal.

And I'd be careful about how much back-patting you do because it's sub-based. The payment model does not neccessarily reflect quality or substance.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Papadam

Here is a link: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010-dc-universe-online-takes-it-up-a-notch/#continued

Since its SOE it will probably be monthly sub + microtransactions so I dont see how this is good news.

I was hoping that the PS3 version would be like GW, buy the box and then extra stuff with microtransactions...

AH! What a kick in the groin.  Oh well.... ...   I hope they get a trial going,  if I'm paying for this monthly it better be worth it.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Yes I am sure for all you nay-sayers. For one MMORPG.com updated the DCUO page to say pay type: subscription, for 2 it was announced at E3, this article was written yesterday http://www.rttnews.com/Content/TopStories.aspx?Id=1335243&SM=1

It mentions the monthly fee, and the SOE representatives at the DCUO booth at E3 they announced it all tuesday and yesterday.

Mystery Bounty

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

What about microtransactions? I hope there is no marketplace... if that's so, great news, a potential MMO in sight.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

I don't suppose there's been any hint as to whether they will be adding it to the Station Pass or not?

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Oh hey, lets also cheer that its still being done by SOE the same people who killed such games as: SWG, MxO, the agency (oh cant wait to see how that turns out) and the ever so lovely Vanguard. Couldn't care less if its P2P or F2P, still has SOE stink all over it.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

It's a big lost opportunity IMHO to go with sub rather than F2P. You get way more people playing your game (and their money) with F2P. Watch what happens to LOTRO's player base and profitability in the fall (it'll skyrocket ala DDO).

Hopefully there will be a free trial so I can try it before committing to a box purchase and sub.

Originally posted by OSF8759

It's a big lost opportunity IMHO to go with sub rather than F2P. You get way more people playing your game (and their money) with F2P. Watch what happens to LOTRO's player base and profitability in the fall (it'll skyrocket ala DDO).

Hopefully there will be a free trial so I can try it before committing to a box purchase and sub.

It is true with free to play your numbers sky rocket, BUT the only reason DDO made more money was because it was P2P first, P2P games have a higher budget and with DDO and LoTRO they will still have a $15 a month premium option, so people will come in, like the game than decide they want more so they will pay for it, that is how they make more money. Most of the people already playing will keep paying than a bunch of new people that like it, but P2P games still make more than games made for F2P, like City of Heroes only has somewhere between 60,000-100,000 subscriptions right now, but it still makes more money annually than Perfect World or Runes of Magic because they have a steady stream of money coming in.

Mystery Bounty

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It is true with free to play your numbers sky rocket, BUT the only reason DDO made more money was because it was P2P first, P2P games have a higher budget and with DDO and LoTRO they will still have a $15 a month premium option, so people will come in, like the game than decide they want more so they will pay for it, that is how they make more money. Most of the people already playing will keep paying than a bunch of new people that like it, but P2P games still make more than games made for F2P, like City of Heroes only has somewhere between 60,000-100,000 subscriptions right now, but it still makes more money annually than Perfect World or Runes of Magic because they have a steady stream of money coming in.

RoM maybe, but PW makes buckets here and overseas combined. I recommend you bring stockholder reports to this kind of thing next time.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

RoM maybe, but PW makes buckets here and overseas combined. I recommend you bring stockholder reports to this kind of thing next time.

City of Heroes also has European and Japanese and Korean servers, the 60k-100k is just on the north american servers, Perfect World is played by most people as a free game, 1 out of every 20 people or so buy something from the game shop but alot of people dont. So dont gimme your smartassness without knowing what you are talking about =P

Mystery Bounty

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by GTwander

City of Heroes also has European and Japanese and Korean servers, the 60k-100k is just on the north american servers, Perfect World is played by most people as a free game, 1 out of every 20 people or so buy something from the game shop but alot of people dont. So dont gimme your smartassness without knowing what you are talking about =P

Uh huh. Go read up on it before running your mouth.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• lakalakalakalaka Member Posts: 2

man i was really hoping it was F2p some people just don't have the money to pay for these kind of things :(

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Interesting turn of events.  I don't mind the p2p option.  The thing is, I will not be pre-ordering this title or buying on release day.  I'm a fan of Superhero mmo's.  I played CoH for 4 years.  When Champions came out I pre-ordered and bought the 6 month special.  I basically got burned.  I played for less than a month, and deleted the thing from my computer.  I will not be buying this until a trial is available.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

bit of a bummer for me.  I dont have a problem with the P2P model, i was just hoping for the F2P to be able to jump in and out as i please.  Superhero games are kind of new to me and i never really feel as immersed in them as i do fantasy games, i'l played CoH and CO.   Really dont want to have too many subscriptiosn going at once.  Already looking at SWTOR and Rifts, this was the other game i was looking at.

• EtraEtra Member UncommonPosts: 164

I wasn't even aware people thought this game would be F2P?

Originally posted by junzo316

Interesting turn of events.  I don't mind the p2p option.  The thing is, I will not be pre-ordering this title or buying on release day.  I'm a fan of Superhero mmo's.  I played CoH for 4 years.  When Champions came out I pre-ordered and bought the 6 month special.  I basically got burned.  I played for less than a month, and deleted the thing from my computer.  I will not be buying this until a trial is available.

I just wish to know what type of "special" comes with the game along with preordering it. Ive never preordered a game nor have a ever even bought a pc title retail. 

To sum it up i was wondering will i be buying it and it comes with 60 days free, and such. And id like to hear more about if this game will have microtransations. Cause along with buying this to my ps3 which will be $60+(monthly fees)+Microtrasactions= someone who will probably in the end not play the game at all.

I understand that SOE needs to make money but thats just overboard in my mind. "imo"

• EmotionsEmotions Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by Papadam

Since when is guild wars a mmo?

it just has a very fancy gather place which was a waste of development time anyway. Could have been a regular chat box and more development time for the content of the game. The game is actually like hon or LoL. No one says they are mmo's but they are basicly the same thing. They just didn't waste time on some city to gather in.

The reason gw was free is because it didn't need the heavy lifting of servers as in open world mmo's.

So if you see that a new mmo has an open world, either its gonna have an in-game store, or payment on interval. And if it doesn't have an open world, than it just bad publishing. 

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Originally posted by Etra

I wasn't even aware people thought this game would be F2P?

Yeah thats the thing the Executive producer said it would be F2P and after got silent, when asked about the price on other mmo sites they avoided the question like the plague leading me to believe all along that they really had no intention of going F2P or he just made a mistake. When it was leaked that they either had a teaser site or a fake (Detailing PP) i actually was the first one to report on it here in the forums. IMO i dont think it was a mistake it was a questionable marketing strategy on behalf of the current SHmmo's and the wanting of attention to be drawn from them to DCUO. Most business lie at some point to get people to notice them and all but its just like a relationship, you lie to me so why should i trust you.

They Lie cause they love you =)

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

How long before it is leaked they will have exciting new gadgets for your batman utitlity belt for purchase in the "extras" cash shop? LoL Thanks Cryptic! Game + Sub + cash shop = priceless....literally!