Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Free to Play Beta Begins; New Screenshots of LOTRO Store

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Turbine has announced that the beta test for the upcoming re-launch of Lord of the Rings Online as a hybrid free-to-play/subscription MMO is now underway. Five new screenshots showing off the LOTRO Store are also available in our LOTRO gallery.

Comments

• NosmircNosmirc Member Posts: 6

link?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

They need to make monster play available to all players for free... otherwise it will just be the same as it is now... dead.

Limiting the gold you can carry is also disgusting.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

This isn't WoW people where you can make 5g in 10min by mining copper ore.  If I recall, it's a 1000:1 ratio (silver:gold) and everything is cheap early on.  It only gets more expensive mid-late game and by that point you are already past the "extended trial" time and most likely have subscribed or paid for additional content.

Also, again if I recall correctly, you'll be able to earn points in-game a la DDO, meaning you can buy off the gold cap.  Wish everyone would stop freaking out over this detail, especially people who haven't actually played the game and have no base in which to even complain.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120

omg, i'm so excited.  if i were a deep sea oil well, i'd just be gushing... and killing baby cetaceans.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Can you actually buy off the gold cap? That wouldn't be so bad then.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by soponyai

LOTRO is by far not dead and F2P is going to make it even better. Awesome times are upon us. :)

It's been a while since I played and the main reason I left was becuase it was "dead".  I'm not into paying a monthly fee to play a single player game...

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

nickle and dime, actualy for a few dollars more.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Originally posted by soponyai

LOTRO is by far not dead and F2P is going to make it even better. Awesome times are upon us. :)

It's been a while since I played and the main reason I left was becuase it was "dead".  I'm not into paying a monthly fee to play a single player game...

You can't base an entire game off of your single experience on one server that may or may not have a low population during the time zone you played.

It is the nature of MMOG that as they grow older the player base goes up and fewer are at the bottom on the older servers. If you want to group you have to join an active guild and / or level with the average players' level.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

If this has the same effect as it did on DDO then the population will grow.  Wish they had more options that combine the stores and plans of DDO and LotRO. 

• only1waronly1war Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Samhael

Can you actually buy off the gold cap? That wouldn't be so bad then.

You can buy off any restriction you have, "pay the way you want to play" you also gain points in-game. Quoted by a Turbine Rep "There will be ways in game to earn various amounts of Turbine points. In theory, you could never spend a penny in the store but still acquire enough Turbine Points to purchase everything you would want. It would take a great deal of effort, but it would be possible."

• SoulOfRageSoulOfRage Member Posts: 1

F2P players eat goat cheese. Hands off my game, bargain-boy!

• penthepenthe Member Posts: 25

Limiting F2P players gold is a great way to keep those gold sellers at Bay, Turbine is a smart business, they really do care about the community.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by SoulOfRage

F2P players eat goat cheese. Hands off my game, bargain-boy!

Hey, goat cheese is awesome. Don't insult goat cheese.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

I think its great news that the amount of gold a f2p player can carry will be limited . I do however think monster play should be available to f2p players . I've just seen some news on book 3 on the massively.com website nice to see housing will be improved too .

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

I played LOTRO a year or so ago, stopped at lvl 43 hunter, even pre-ordered Moria.  But I stopped playing for some reason.  Great game, great community.  I'll probably start a new account for to try it out on the F2P aspect.  Perhaps monster play being paid content will really just kill the Ettenmoors.  It was never that crowded anyway.  Monster play was indeed fun, but making that part paid content may seriously just kill it totally.  If it's dead, Turbine can remove the PvP option and the Ettenmoors altogether, never have to update that content, and just focus on releasing free book updates and paid expansions.  We shall see.

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

"Proceed to checkout" doesn't have a very Tolkienesque appeal.

"Head to Smaug's treasure hoard" would probably look better, for Turbine anyway. Kaching-er.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

A Frakin' cap on how much gold you can carry and you have to pay RL money to increase it? Just when I thought a F2P couldn't stoop any lower. That is beyond absurd and guarentees I wouldn't reactivate my account there because if Turbine is willing to be that greedy, who knows what other scheme they have planned for their gullible players.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Czanrei

A Frakin' cap on how much gold you can carry and you have to pay RL money to increase it? Just when I thought a F2P couldn't stoop any lower. That is beyond absurd and guarentees I wouldn't reactivate my account there because if Turbine is willing to be that greedy, who knows what other scheme they have planned for their gullible players.

Wait, you're complaining that they're trying to get some money out of players that they're giving a big chunk of game to for free...and you're calling them greedy?

Wow yeah, you're so right...they OWE us a totally free game...maybe they ought bring back slavery just for game developers?

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

There is a reason to why they limit gold for F2P players.

To prevent gold sellers.

Simple fact morons to all you who cry about it.

Atleast they make it f2p lol.

The game was dying though which is biggest reason to why it went f2p, lols turbine isn't smart btw. what fucking morons would make this p2p in beginning anyways? if it was f2p from the start it would be very popular but they are so dumb making it p2p, WoW only became successfull because click n wait back in the days was good but now turning clic kn wait mmos into p2p is just rly stupid.

Games like tera online is worth to pay for these days.

I will try out the game though i never playe it before because im not gona spend money on a click nw ait mmo lol

• loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Chimps

There is a reason to why they limit gold for F2P players.

To prevent gold sellers.

Simple fact morons to all you who cry about it.

Atleast they make it f2p lol.

The game was dying though which is biggest reason to why it went f2p, lols turbine isn't smart btw. what fucking morons would make this p2p in beginning anyways? if it was f2p from the start it would be very popular but they are so dumb making it p2p, WoW only became successfull because click n wait back in the days was good but now turning clic kn wait mmos into p2p is just rly stupid.

Games like tera online is worth to pay for these days.

I will try out the game though i never playe it before because im not gona spend money on a click nw ait mmo lol

I sincerely hope you don't have children, and allow your gene pool to just die out. Your ignorance and stupidity is amazing.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by erictlewis

nickle and dime, actualy for a few dollars more.

Oh look, erictlewis posting something negative about DDO/LOTRO and F2P. How unusual. He even uses other game threads to make his rage known (think, Vanguard). Trolling at its finest.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill