Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Item Store Opens [UPDATED]

1235»

Comments

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

lol, you people.  You think that you can just claim the moral high ground by refusing to play FE and shout up and down "This is unethical!".  Let me put it simply for you naive morons who think that the gaming industry is filled with people who design games because they love them and care about what their customer thinks rather than what their bottom line is; they don't.

I know some of you might find this difficult to believe, but the creators of Fallen Earth belong to a business.  And since they are not a Non For Profit Organization, their primary goal as a business is to make money.  So, they published a product, Fallen Earth, which required a box fee.  Money made.  They then required a subscription to use their servers and play the game online.  Money made.  They then made a conscious decision that they weren't making enough money to cover their costs and still make a reasonable profit.  So they added an item mall.  This is how business works.  What they did is not unethical in any way, shape, or form.  In fact, in the business world, it's actually encouraged.

They have every right to implement this, contrary to popular belief.  You are an idiot quite frankly if you believe that this is unethical, shady, or otherwise immoral.  If you don't like it, don't play, but don't try to convince us that the developers are morally bankrupt.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by gordunk

lol, you people.  You think that you can just claim the moral high ground by refusing to play FE and shout up and down "This is unethical!".  Let me put it simply for you naive morons who think that the gaming industry is filled with people who design games because they love them and care about what their customer thinks rather than what their bottom line is; they don't.

They don't? Who's paying their bills? If someday all players decide to leave they will still not care? You have a seriously strange concept of business.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by gordunk

I know some of you might find this difficult to believe, but the creators of Fallen Earth belong to a business.  And since they are not a Non For Profit Organization, their primary goal as a business is to make money.  So, they published a product, Fallen Earth, which required a box fee.  Money made.  They then required a subscription to use their servers and play the game online.  Money made.  They then made a conscious decision that they weren't making enough money to cover their costs and still make a reasonable profit.  So they added an item mall.  This is how business works.  What they did is not unethical in any way, shape, or form.  In fact, in the business world, it's actually encouraged.

They have every right to implement this, contrary to popular belief.  You are an idiot quite frankly if you believe that this is unethical, shady, or otherwise immoral.  If you don't like it, don't play, but don't try to convince us that the developers are morally bankrupt.

This.  Many people that play FE dont want to think about the business aspect, just that its "their" game and they want the game to maintain some delusional ethical standard.  I have said it before and I will say it again:  Games must make money to survive.  Box sales, subscription number and yes even an item shop, if necessary.  SO, to those die hard fans of FE please get it straight: Stop discouraging people that dont agree with you to NOT play the game, stop shooting down every suggestion that other may have about the game and how it could become more popular and finally, get over the item mall.  It was probably put in because of the first two reasons anyway.

Kthxbai

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Heretique

lol enjoy your item mall FE, that really sucks.

Don't laugh too much, odds are good that whatever MMORPG you plan on playing (or currently are playing) will have an item shop pretty soon as well.

Oh yeah, what do I think?  Its part of the inevitable tide I'm afraid, just wondering if/when CCP will give a shot at it.

CCP already does an "item shop", it's called PLEX (Pilot License Extension). You pay $35 (or more) for a PLEX subscription card, and you turn right around and sell it on the market (or contract) for hundreds of millions of ISK. ISK being the only thing that really matters in EVE.

So basically, they let people pay for the most important and game breaking thing in the entire game. Need to buy a few battleships or hell, a Dreadnought, and don't have the infrastructure that supports significant ISK raising ability.. ? Hell, just buy it with real money.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by qombi

Originally posted by thark
    Most of you seem to forget one thing, Icarus is a small company, and without many subscribers they need all the money they can get their hands on..
    Maybe they are doing this in hopes of saving the game, I find it hard to believe greed is the reason for selling 2 rather low level items(wich makes them fluff items)..
    Instead of quitting you should support Icarus in the struggle to save this game and even buy these items from them.
    The Googles look very cool :)

Yes Yes I know...Item shop is bad, but It's has also been shown that Item shops are here to stay, just look at DDO and what soon will happen to LOTRO....For what it's worth everyone can now play DDO and one day they might become subscribers.

/Junker

Now these are going to be extreme examples but if we had this attitude about all things in life there would only be the Catholic church and USA would not be independent of Britain

Hmm..Yes extreme examples...Stupid examples I'd say !! This is a game, a game created by a small team that strives to survive in a harch reality. The product Fallen Earth from Icarus is created in ways that shows us that they took the RISK of creating the game diffrent than the mainstream products, althou in some areas it shows that they didnt dare to take a complete risk with it(Only me guessing) by making a full skill based game for instance.

Ohh Well :)

It's sad that 2 items that isn't the least significant gameplay wise can stir up so much trouble, ohh yes If the gameshop becomes popular they will most likely expand upon it.

But you have to ask yourself if you truly care about Fallen Earth or not, my guesses are you do not care that much, because it was so easy to actually drop it..Or are you guys just stiring up some heat in these forums ?

Maybe It will prove to Icarus that they choose wrong regarding this item shop, since they will obviously loose an amount of customers aswell..In that case it's sad really!!

/junker

• KookasKookas Member Posts: 39

I ended my sub because of this the other day. FE was the only game I was actively playing, I guess this leaves me with no choice but to go outside and work on a tan 8) 

* I read most of what Jon Wood writes
    * He needs more bullet points though

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    I cancelled my Sub yesterday (day before renewal) I figured something like this was on the cards but the truth is I havent played the game in 6 weeks so I was really paying for nothing. I think this continuing trend of subscription + item shop sucks and I for one will not be supporting it. F2P + item shop is fine.
  • GrailchaserGrailchaser Member Posts: 20
    An item store combined with pay to play? Why am I not surprised? The entire game is derivative and cheap. I played the beta and it was very ordinary. A poor ripoff of Fallout with a nonsensical grab-bag plot and adventurers that were nothing more than item farming. Avoid it like the plague.... (or the zombiepocalypse... or the nuclear war... or the environmental disaster... or the ...)

• GallienteGalliente Member Posts: 44

The end of the world is coming.

I swear, sometimes I think MMORPG.com has the worst drama queen community on the net. Oh noes, there's a DOG for sale, I better cancel all my 53 accounts and go cry myself to sleep!

So what, it affects gameplay in no way. Get over yourselves.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Galliente

The end of the world is coming.

I swear, sometimes I think MMORPG.com has the worst drama queen community on the net. Oh noes, there's a DOG for sale, I better cancel all my 53 accounts and go cry myself to sleep!

So what, it affects gameplay in no way. Get over yourselves.

Actually if half the gamers of an already small playerbase quit because of it then that dog does have a pretty big influence on how the game is for everyone playing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Sindri44Sindri44 Member Posts: 24

just wondering if/when CCP will give a shot at it.

i don't think CCP will be able it implement it as most of the stuff is already there and they just released planet iteraction to give the player even more control over the game's items there players in eve are ALMOST like DEV's so item mall in eve would be pointless besides what would they sell

Played AoC,WaR,Allods,archlord,WoW,Fallen Earth, and many more

Life fears death, but lives only to die. It starts with anxiety. Anxiety becomes fear. Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering... The only cure for this fear is total destruction.

Originally posted by aeroplane22

Don't laugh too much, odds are good that whatever MMORPG you plan on playing (or currently are playing) will have an item shop pretty soon as well.

Oh yeah, what do I think?  Its part of the inevitable tide I'm afraid, just wondering if/when CCP will give a shot at it.

CCP already does an "item shop", it's called PLEX (Pilot License Extension). You pay $35 (or more) for a PLEX subscription card, and you turn right around and sell it on the market (or contract) for hundreds of millions of ISK. ISK being the only thing that really matters in EVE.

So basically, they let people pay for the most important and game breaking thing in the entire game. Need to buy a few battleships or hell, a Dreadnought, and don't have the infrastructure that supports significant ISK raising ability.. ? Hell, just buy it with real money.

Wait you mean the eve time codes that you can use for game time aswell ....i mean you can sell them for millions of isk but you can also buy them with isk and it's not an item mall ....item mall means you HAVE TO BUY IT WITH CASH ONLY and it's the only way to get it i play eve and i only use ETC witch i can convert into plex PLEX is the in-game item you can buy 2 month worth of sub and then trade a month for a plex it's anything but an item mall as you can get them with in-game money so if your great at making millions of isk the game pays for itself you can easliy run 2 accounts in a month when you have yourself 2 hulk barges on 2 accounts you will make 600 mill 290mill is what plex or eve time codes are worth

Life fears death, but lives only to die. It starts with anxiety. Anxiety becomes fear. Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering... The only cure for this fear is total destruction.

Originally posted by Sindri44

Originally posted by aeroplane22

Wait you mean the eve time codes that you can use for game time aswell ....i mean you can sell them for millions of isk but you can also buy them with isk and it's not an item mall ....item mall means you HAVE TO BUY IT WITH CASH ONLY and it's the only way to get it i play eve and i only use ETC witch i can convert into plex PLEX is the in-game item you can buy 2 month worth of sub and then trade a month for a plex it's anything but an item mall as you can get them with in-game money so if your great at making millions of isk the game pays for itself you can easliy run 2 accounts in a month when you have yourself 2 hulk barges on 2 accounts you will easily make 600 mill 290mill is what plex or eve time codes are worth

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

We primarily view the store as the means to deliver to you, our players, role-playing and social items. The Kaibab Cur provides players with a unique pet with a 4 slot pack to help in your adventures in the Wasteland. The Brass Goggles, although they provide a very small boost to stats, are a promo item that we wanted to be able to offer to all who don’t have the opportunity to attend industry shows or participate in contests where these had been offered before. The Goggles are a level 7 item and offer very little benefit once you progress to higher levels in Fallen Earth.

100% BS.

"deliver you role-playing and social items" = "make you pay for role-playing and social items that you expected to be part of the game you pay for monthly"

Got to be kidding me...

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Bael13Bael13 Member Posts: 29

LOL and they bag out us F2P people at least we only have a item mall you guys get shafted twice haha.

Wake up Sub games are long gone.