Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPad as a gaming platform?

2»

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I bought an ipad and I'm loving it.  I read books, stream movies and shows, surf the web, etc on it.  No more getting up and going outside to get the paper.  I wake up, roll over and grab the ipad and get the days news instantly.  I am finding I am on my desktop computer much, much less than I used to be.

That being said, I tend to play a lot of puzzle games on it, as well as work on creative writing projects.  I can't see playing an mmo on one, but if it was the right game who knows.  I think I'd rather play an mmo on my desktop with my big lcd monitor and surround sound though, it's just more comfortable.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by Terranah

I bought an ipad and I'm loving it.  I read books, stream movies and shows, surf the web, etc on it.  No more getting up and going outside to get the paper.  I wake up, roll over and grab the ipad and get the days news instantly.  I am finding I am on my desktop computer much, much less than I used to be.

That being said, I tend to play a lot of puzzle games on it, as well as work on creative writing projects.  I can't see playing an mmo on one, but if it was the right game who knows.  I think I'd rather play an mmo on my desktop with my big lcd monitor and surround sound though, it's just more comfortable.

Agreed.

Also in say a year or soes time when my laptop gets really old i think i will get one too.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• rueshawrueshaw Member Posts: 5

As for now, I will stick with my laptop. When they release a flexible (foldable or rollable) version of the ipad, maybe then that's the time I will get one.

• Shooter-90Shooter-90 Member Posts: 100

Well besides the usual game companies and their portables, I think Apple might have a chance especially if a developer can streamline the game to be control friendly on the iPad or iPhone. In my personal opinion, it's much more popular as a communication device rather than a portable gaming device but it does see a lot of potential to become a gaming device. But for now, it wouldn't be bad as a controller or something.

I use to remember the Nintendo GameCube where one game can be played while the GBA was hooked up and acted like a radar (or something of that sort). Maybe Apple can do that with some consoles, it would give that extra level of gameplay.

Also some indie developers are investing into programming games for the Apple platforms, even game engines are being developed for this purpose. It wouldn't be long until we can see something that would equate to Crysis' photorealistic gameplay.

In short, I think there is a large potential to be a portable platform.

• brokenssbrokenss Member Posts: 44

Rather expnsive for a touch screen gaming platform. Don't think it was designed for that purpose anyway :)

~Awesome Tr!x

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

Do it have potensial as a gaming platform? yes.

I bought one for about a month ago, and I having a blast playing games on it. Actual, it pretty much the only thing I do with it, except doing some easy web searches when I'm in the living room. But, as someone already said. It's way to expensive to be a real gaming item.

There is some things though. The game really has to be designed for the system. Playing a ported game that doesn't really fit to be controlled by tapping the screen or moving the tablet, is kinda ackward and boring. If the game is better played on a handheld, pc or a console, then play it on the machine that it does fit. But, playing tower games (Plants & Zombies), RTS (C&C) or just Civilation, is fun, and the controls fits very well. Table games also is more fun on it than on a computer.

But, do I want to play EQ2 or any FPS games on it? No. I wouldn't even consider it.

--
    Leemeg.