Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about new graphics cards

WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Which would be better? I want to run these upcoming and new games at max settings with ease.

Having 2 470 gtx cards

or

Having just one 480 gtx

Comments

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Anyone have any ideas?

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I prefer nvidia over ati    I have evga gtx295 co op     freaking rules

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• xWandererxxWandererx Member Posts: 2

2x GTX 470 will kick ass and 2x GTX 480 will kick more ass - If you can get hold of PCFormat magazine July  issue all your questions r answered in there cos theyve done a round up of all the new cards out now in SLI/Crossfire. Hope this helps

Hmmm ill do some more searching, but my main question is will 2 470 gtx cards be better than using just one 480 card?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Go for the 1 x 480, if you want to add another in the future you can do so. My 480 runs any of the 40-50 PC games I have with eaze maxxed out.

You could get a

470 for $350 or $700 ish for 2

a 5870 for $400 ish

a GTX 480 for $480 ish

I would spend the $480 on a $480 rather than $700 on 2 gtx 470's. The 2 x 470's will be about 1/4 better.

There is a dual card coming out soon too, and also the gtx 465 is out at $270ish.

Consider the 5870 too, it is a great card and priced well.

In my opinion the more DX11 games come out as time goes on the better the GTX 480 will be. The last lot of drivers put some heavy smack out on previous results and I prefer Nvidia drivers to ATI's.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I had the sapphire hd 4870x2 2gig ddr5   and the gtx 295  co-op is way better

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• chadddadachadddada Member Posts: 24

If you are serious about buying a new card I would do your research:

1)  http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

2)  http://www.anandtech.com/

3)  http://www.guru3d.com/

4)  http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Go for the 1 x 480, if you want to add another in the future you can do so. My 480 runs any of the 40-50 PC games I have with eaze maxxed out.

You could get a

470 for $350 or $700 ish for 2

a 5870 for $400 ish

a GTX 480 for $480 ish

I would spend the $480 on a $480 rather than $700 on 2 gtx 470's. The 2 x 470's will be about 1/4 better.

There is a dual card coming out soon too, and also the gtx 465 is out at $270ish.

Consider the 5870 too, it is a great card and priced well.

In my opinion the more DX11 games come out as time goes on the better the GTX 480 will be. The last lot of drivers put some heavy smack out on previous results and I prefer Nvidia drivers to ATI's.

I want to be able to max out games like Final Fantasy 14 and the game run smoothly. Maybe I will spring for the 480, but I am not going to be an idiot about it. I will wait until closer to launch. Maybe prices will be lower and maybe something better will be out.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I would recommend the 5870, with Vapor-X technology.  My card idles around 30 degrees C, and under high stress gets up to 60.  A friends new nvidia card easily hits the 90s in a much better ventilated case than mine.

Also, running games at a resolution of 7680 x 1600 is amazing, and can be done on one 5870 card.   Some of the newer in the line can support six monitors on one card.

Nvidia might have a very slight edge in benchmarks with the 480, but really for the heat and power consumption, it'll break sooner and cost more to run.