Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Agenda: Sandstorm Phase 1 Impressions

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Bill Murphy gives his impressions of the recently launched Sandstorm Phase 1 update to Global Agenda.

I’ve been spending a bit of time lately with the newly revamped Global Agenda and like any other of the game’s players can tell you… things have changed.  A lot.  As previously reported Hi-Rez Studios has been spending the past several months since launch polishing and expanding their game.  When it premiered, Global Agenda was a fully-featured competitive shooter with MMO tendencies, but Sandstorm (set to be delivered in several phases) aims to bring the shooter-hybrid closer to a more persistent world feel.  But Phase 1 is just the tip of the iceberg, and already it looks as though Global Agenda’s first major update is giving the game a very welcome overhaul.

First thing folks with the capabilities will notice is the addition of DX10 to the client.  Little touches that come along with the added graphical oomph from DX are all over the place.  Smoke wisps, dust clouds, and lots of other little atmospheric details add greatly to the overall feel of the universe Hi-Rez has created.  Sure DX 11 is now out and about, but just like DX9 before it, DX 10 will likely remain the more used version of the API package and GA looks mighty pretty running in DX10.  Everything just looks better.

Read Sandstorm Phase 1 Impressions.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• NosmircNosmirc Member Posts: 6

I'm not happy with this for one thing, they took the free PvE missions and made all the ones that let you lvl pass lvl 19 to sub only so now you cant lvl pass 19 without PvP or paying them, but the really big thing is that these missions are not new added sub stuff (thats fine) they took missions that where stated to be part of the game and NOT a sub only mission and changed them to sub only, i would not of bought this game IF i knew that after 4 months i would have to sub for the missions that i payed 50 bucks for.

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by Nosmirc

I'm not happy with this for one thing, they took the free PvE missions and made all the ones that let you lvl pass lvl 19 to sub only so now you cant lvl pass 19 without PvP or paying them, but the really big thing is that these missions are not new added sub stuff (thats fine) they took missions that where stated to be part of the game and NOT a sub only mission and changed them to sub only, i would not of bought this game IF i knew that after 4 months i would have to sub for the missions that i payed 50 bucks for.

I am thinking of trying this and the article does make it sound interesting.

I thought that they were not charging for any subs at the moment so is this not the case anymore?

You mention PVE missions and i thought it was mainly PVP, so what is the PVE like? Is it just an afterthought is it well done and also how much solo PVE is there?

Thanks

• suizendosuizendo Member UncommonPosts: 67

@Nosmirc, Im sorry but that is just wrong.

You can level past 19 no problem, and if you dont want to PvP, dont buy a PvP game. 

They created an enitrely new game mode, which will be free for non-subs, to replace the level 19+ team missions. They created tons of new gear, again FREE for non-subs.

The list goes on, there is SO much new stuff in this patch that is totally FREE for non-subs. People like you are short-sighted morons who bitch and moan at the slightest provocation, without actually looking at  how things are.

• suizendosuizendo Member UncommonPosts: 67

@ Brindleburn -

Yes there are no subscription fees at the moment, everything is totally free with purchase.

Solo PvE is there, it is challenging and will force you to get better.

Overall, it is a PvP based game, always was and always will be. If you are looking for awesome PvE then try another game. But if you want awesome PvP and then be able to unwind and play some fun team or solo PvE, you will enjoy this. Team PvE is not hard at all, the solo PvE will work you over.

• DiabhailDiabhail Member Posts: 7

It's a bussiness, who cares if they peeve off a few hundered or thousand customers, they are making big money. Seems that gaming companies would have learned by now that if they screw over the consumer fanbase, their subscriptions will dwindle. That is of course if there aren't people in the consumer fanbase that act like those that still, after everything that has happened, play Vanguard, a seriously bugged-up game. If there are, they will continue to profit on those poor misguided gamers, swindling out of there money by making them double up on paying for something. This is what is wrong with subscription based games. The financial heads know that even if they screw over a good portion of the gamers, they'll still rake in the dough, because people won't just up and quit a game that they've poured time and money into.

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by suizendo

@ Brindleburn -

Yes there are no subscription fees at the moment, everything is totally free with purchase.

Solo PvE is there, it is challenging and will force you to get better.

Overall, it is a PvP based game, always was and always will be. If you are looking for awesome PvE then try another game. But if you want awesome PvP and then be able to unwind and play some fun team or solo PvE, you will enjoy this. Team PvE is not hard at all, the solo PvE will work you over.

Cool thanks for the reply.

I actually love tough challenges and the solo PVE sounds awesome I also don't mind PVP just I tend to do more PVE. Are there many different scenarios in the solo PvE, group PvE?

Thanks again.

• DiabhailDiabhail Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Diabhail

It's a bussiness, who cares if they peeve off a few hundered or thousand customers, they are making big money. Seems that gaming companies would have learned by now that if they screw over the consumer fanbase, their subscriptions will dwindle. That is of course if there aren't people in the consumer fanbase that act like those that still, after everything that has happened, play Vanguard, a seriously bugged-up game. If there are, they will continue to profit on those poor misguided gamers, swindling out of there money by making them double up on paying for something. This is what is wrong with subscription based games. The financial heads know that even if they screw over a good portion of the gamers, they'll still rake in the dough, because people won't just up and quit a game that they've poured time and money into.

Sorry everyone, I sorta went on a rant there, I now know it was faulty info i went on, I appologize and I'll be sure of my info before I comment.

• mukinmukin Member UncommonPosts: 80

What does 'Hi-Rez still hasn’t activated subscriptions' mean?  I know you can play for non-AvA parts of the game for free; I also know you can buy the game for $49.99 (or whatever it is now) and play the AvA part of the game.  So where does (or, um, will) subscriptions fit in, when and if they turn them on?

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by mukin
    What does 'Hi-Rez still hasn’t activated subscriptions' mean?  I know you can play for non-AvA parts of the game for free; I also know you can buy the game for $49.99 (or whatever it is now) and play the AvA part of the game.  So where does (or, um, will) subscriptions fit in, when and if they turn them on?

In future (a patch or two) a subscription will be required to access stuff like Alliance vs Alliance, the highest level PvE modes and the PvP arena. Currently people who purchase the game have access to everything as subs aren't active yet.

This post has a list of what content free trial, full accounts (and subscribers) have access to.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by suizendo

@Nosmirc, Im sorry but that is just wrong.

You can level past 19 no problem, and if you dont want to PvP, dont buy a PvP game. 

They created an enitrely new game mode, which will be free for non-subs, to replace the level 19+ team missions. They created tons of new gear, again FREE for non-subs.

The list goes on, there is SO much new stuff in this patch that is totally FREE for non-subs. People like you are short-sighted morons who bitch and moan at the slightest provocation, without actually looking at  how things are.

Yup.

i did not play GA to long Before it went to Sandstorm,but from the time I did play pre SS the difference it made,to me, is a lot.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I would disagree that the new token system rewards epics at any signifigantly greater pace than the old system. I have 4 30+ toons and every one of them had a full set of epic gear or two and I was fairly middle of the road as far as play time went.

The real change is that the gear stats have a random effect to them now whereas before they gave a "perfect boost". (i.e. 3% damage boost per item where now the token items give 1% + 1% + some random bonus.) It's still possible to get "perfect boost" items but for the most part the change is going to equalize the gear a little bit more (bringing the people who had poor gear before up one notch and the people who had the best gear down a notch, which probably put more emphasis back on skill rather than on gear).

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

As I said in my post in the GA forums here before, I am enjoying the game. I paid for it, and it's pretty fun.

I've always liked the idea of a real fps rpg.

Just having fun with it, and it's not bad.  My only real problem, is doing pvp, I seem to "freeze" anywhere from 1 minute to 10 seconds left before a match ends.  I can still hear people talking.  But everyone is running in a straight line while I can move around.  So that doesn't sound like my computer.  It's not my connection overall, as I am still able to browse.  I wonder if it hasta do with steam?

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Overall I like all of the changes so far made in Sandstorm phase 1 except for what they did with AvA. The old AvA had its problems but the new solution isnt any better and in many ways much much worse. I know there will be another patch focused on getting AvA where it needs to be but in theoverall scheme of things its best not to demolish something that was only slightly broken to begin with untill you are ready to completely replace it.

I suppose one reason they changed the AvA to the current system is to get a real idea of how this particular system will actually play out versus the old system before they finish off whatever they are doing to make AvA better.

If you are sittingon the fence about playing the game just download the free trial. Costs nothing you get access to all the major pieces of content with a level cap being the only real restriction. By the time you hit level cap and play with it for a week you will know whether the game is for you or not and the decision to buy or not buy wil be easy to make.

I found I was playing on average at least an hour a day and the decision for me to buy was easy to make. I still dont know whether I will subscribe in the end or not...but this part of the game is well worth it.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

Non-subscribers CAN level to 50 doing only PvE if they want to since high security can be done at 2 locations. Mining province which is open to anyone and Commonwealth city which is sub only.

AvA does have some kinks to work out, probably the biggest need is attracting talented players.

• SoopermanSooperman Member Posts: 2

I will try and keep this short but comprehensive:

PVP= many bugs, massive lag to EU players.

PVE= throw more of the same mindless bots at the player mentality, shows no originality or thought.

New Patches= i have tested, will solve none of the actual problems with the game.

Community= suffers cronic low population, suffers due to idiots, who prefer the forums to the actual game.

Its main mechanic is AvA, its broken, the Agency / Guild that dominates it is proving that point at the moment.

It could of been such a good game, but has ended up feeling like a bad BETA.

I hope i save you wasted time and money.

• ninjanerd202ninjanerd202 Member UncommonPosts: 31

to level past 19 without paying them or pvp you have two options. either you do High sec missions in the Mining district (an option) or you team with a subscriber as team lead and have them select the difficulty.

and that's only if you don't like pvp, which is the fastest way to level up anyway.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by Sooperman

I will try and keep this short but comprehensive:

PVP= many bugs, massive lag to EU players.

PVE= throw more of the same mindless bots at the player mentality, shows no originality or thought.

Its main mechanic is AvA, its broken, the Agency / Guild that dominates it is proving that point at the moment.

I haven't had any "bugs" in PvP and my ping is fine (50 or so?) playing on the NA servers from the EU, don't lag at all.

I don't disagree that the PvE isn't very interesting, but it's certainly entertaining trying to survive the crazy number of mobs and bosses thrown at you in ultra-max.

As for AvA -  it's just that nobody can actually beat them when they challenge them (and very few dare). So naturally they keep all of their hexes or at least get them back eventually. Obviously it helps that they can rely on people to fill 2-3 groups at one time, but it's not their fault the rest of the playerbase likes to stay in small inactive alliances rather than team up together.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• NosmircNosmirc Member Posts: 6

i dont mine PvP after lvl 30 when you have unlocked your skills and weapons, but as of right now there is NO way other then pvp to lvl pass 19.  PvE missions where in the game to get you levels and PvP was to get money tell after lvl 30.  Now all PvE missions that give any XP to a player after lvl 19 is SUB ONLY.

When they marketed this game they said that AvA and some other stuff would be SUB only (in fact you can find the info on google still) but in there FREE (or you get with the 50 bucks you paid for the game) area they listed PvE missions (the ones that are ingame right now) those mission should stay free (aka low med high sec) now new missions and new maps and raids SHOULD be sub only but never ever should they take stuff that was free and stated to be FREE (not a trial free and real free) and then change it to sub only cuz they wanted people who PvE to pay for subs, they can get that by just adding raids they dont need to make it so you cant level past lvl 19. 

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Originally posted by Nosmirc

You can get past 19 without a sub, anyone except free trial users can hit the level cap of 50. The sub only pve missions sit alongside the nonsub pve missions, and you get all of those (bar max security I think?) for free. The subs just get more options by getting the Commonwealth zones as well as the desert.

The solo pve is very challenging the higher up you go. I like the way theyve changed it to a choice of 1-4 people instead of fixed 4 man teams, it gives you much more choice. The 10 man defense missions seemed good from what ive played of them on the PTS, but theyll need a lot more work on the AI and structural layout. Theyve also added a few new pve maps with the last faze that have more alarms and traps in them such as electrified floors that are triggered by walking through lazer beams and turret nests. The bosses have had a good boost too. PVE has actually gotten pretty good in global agenda now.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Agree with much of the article, GA is still a game that grants victory to the best team one skilled player and 9 guys pimped out with epics playing like lone wolves will get raped by and 10 players using team play no matter the gear. I don't like AvA now however, it seems to have become just slow and stale. I'm waiting until they do something about it as with the old system you could have lots of fun when the map opened and there was always a map open. Right now you sit about waiting for a hex to open then get out bid on it by their nut cupping stealth allies. I just don't have the time for that BS, although the rest of the game has taken a step forward I feel that AvA has gone two steps back.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis