Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The technical aspect of this site is getting worse by the day

SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

I don't know if anybody noticed but it is getting harder by the day to surf this site.

1. Site takes a long time to load: agreed a lot of visitors, but this also means more revenu, so up the server load capacity.

2. Links 'temporarily' broken: page hangs when clicked (either in homepage latest posts or forum list), this especially happens to first page links.

3. Sometimes the site is not accessible at all: this morning 15/06/20010 site would not load until aprox 11 am (CET)

4. Posting: editor opens but the posing itself hangs from time to time.

5. A lot of hate: but this one needs his own topic.

I.

Comments

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Yesterday this site was running extremely slow for me, even after rebooting my router.  Today, its working much faster.  The issue for me could have been quite a few things (my ISP, an internet backbone node issue, etc, etc).

I'd suggest rebooting your pc and router and try the site again. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

'A lot of hate' is community, that doesn't belong to the technical aspects.

But I agree, that the lag last few days have gotten a lot worse, pages take ages sometimes to download, posts getting posted a lot of time too when the site experiences a performance/bandwidth dip etc.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's just one of those things, the site is extremely popular meaning the database needs cleaned often, this is probably just one of those times.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Tarka

Yesterday this site was running extremely slow for me, even after rebooting my router.  Today, its working much faster.  The issue for me could have been quite a few things (my ISP, an internet backbone node issue, etc, etc).

I am sorry that I didn't state in my op that I'm not an "idiot".

So I will give some more info so you don't regard me as one.

I surf this site on several locations, I'm an IT consultant and I have projects all over the place (Europe).

Wherever I am I encounter the problems as described in the op.

So router resets and whatnot or not the reason/solution.

And if they were, I would most certainly not have taken the time to make a thread about it.

Thank you,

I.

Originally posted by cyphers

'A lot of hate' is community, that doesn't belong to the technical aspects.

But I agree, that the lag last few days have gotten a lot worse, pages take ages sometimes to download, posts getting posted a lot of time too when the site experiences a performance/bandwidth dip etc.

That's why I added the "but this one needs his own topic" comment.

I.

Originally posted by Kabaal

It's just one of those things, the site is extremely popular meaning the database needs cleaned often, this is probably just one of those times.

I know and understand, but do they post a "site is under maintenance"" page when it's being maintained, because I don't get that either when it's completely not accessible.

Or could it be a "location" issue, since I live in Europe.

Does this behavior also occur in NA?

I.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

I thought it was only me. Blamed firefox and changed to chrome but still the same thing. Today though is a bit faster.

I'm blaming E3 now

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Seffren

Originally posted by Tarka

I am sorry that I didn't state in my op that I'm not an "idiot".

So I will give some more info so you don't regard me as one.

I surf this site on several locations, I'm an IT consultant and I have projects all over the place (Europe).

Wherever I am I encounter the problems as described in the op.

So router resets and whatnot or not the reason/solution.

And if they were, I would most certainly not have taken the time to make a thread about it.

Thank you,

I.

No one is regarding anyone as an idiot, I'm sorry that you felt that way.  The simple fact is that when someone posts on forums, no one can assume anything about the poster.  I was just trying to be helpful.

Insane loading times this week.
    I even get yellow tcp timeout screens now.

I.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Sometimes it gets pretty bad. But usually it loads somewhat quick, the only real problem I have is sometimes the web page will not load properly and I'll get half of the words on top, and the bottom half will just sit there with a black box. But that's fine, usually a few minute wait and a refresh fix that. Sometimes the response box doesn't load too, but what can you do but sit and wait for things to work right. I don't mind, it isn't like I'm paying to use the site.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

The WoW gold spammers have been interesting - the whole blocking them, but still seeing their threads without replies scroll across the front page...yeah, so anyway.

It has been oddly slow this week.  One of those go to another tab and basically end up forgetting that you were even here.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Since I run Adblock plus, this website runs a lot smoother. Pages also load faster. But now I have a new problem. Screenshots wont open with Adblock enabled. This used to work. I really hope its not change on purpose, to make us disable Adblock.

I dont mind the ads for their content, but I started using Adblock because I suspected that the ads were slowing down the website for me. Lot of them are based on flash and performance of flash under linux has always been bad.

Now I only notice slow response of this website at peak hours. Some things are always slow for me though. Like the gamelist page and the Post Message editor.

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Sorry guys / gals we've been working through some network issues over the past few weeks with servers and a new firewall.  We haven't made any moves to block adblock users.  Soon we should have things ironed out and back to normal.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It runs fine for me... What browsers do you people with problems run?

I use Opera.

Of course it could be my computer, its a hexacore with 8 gigs or ram.

• thafireballthafireball Member Posts: 200

It has mostly been fine but when I right click and open up a recent post in a new tab it can take a few seconds before it loads but other than that it has been fine.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Sites been loading fine for me, however i also can't see the user screenshots and, a minor point i know, the comics arent updating at all :)